U.S. Passport Question

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have a friend that is considering getting his first passport for a trip to the DR.

He said that he was "adopted" by his stepfather at the age of two, but it was not a legal adoption. He was just given the guys last name. He's 53, so he says he's been living under an "alias" for the last 51 years, since he never bothered to legally change his name.

All his gubmint documents are in the "alias", SS#, DL, Diploma, degree, etc., but not his Birth Certificate.

What ramifications would this have in getting a U.S. passport?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm sure that this is a not uncommon happening at the passport offices. He should gather up his birth certificate, other documentation, perhaps the marriage certificate between his mom and step-dad and go visit his nearest passport office. I suspect he will probable require some kind of notarized affidavit...etc. My Dad had his name legally changed when he was 28 so he has a birth certificate with last name Daye, but Canadian passport with Saunders.

NOTE: If your name has changed by other means, you must apply in person. (See How to Apply in Person .)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Telephone Number: 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778)
TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793. Telephone number for customers with telecommunication devices for the hearing impaired. This telephone number cannot be accessed by a standard touch tone or rotary dial telephone.
Customer Service Representatives and Operators for TDD/TTY are available Monday-Friday, from 6 a.m. to midnight, and on Saturday and Sunday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Eastern Time, excluding federal holidays.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
The man in question must have a passport in hisreal name before applying for a passport.
Each State in the USA has their own set ofrules for changing the name on a Birth Certificate. he should contact the agency responsible for issuing Birth Certificates and follow their rules and regulations for making the change.
This may require affadavits from several persons who have known him over the years and are familiar with his circumstances. he will need to PROVE his allegations and provide positive information.

Tell him GOOD LUCK.

Texas Bill

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks, folks. Once again, the Brain Trust comes through...

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
sometimes when we put our heads together the sound of coconuts smashing...
what i really mean is this is a pretty good trust for local experience and ideas.
Its amazing what a bunch of cyber-pats can come up with!