Moving to the DR

Rikdcop

Feb 3, 2008
Hello all, I have a few questions I have not found adequate answers to just yet. Maybe you can help me? I will retire from police work in 2 years at the age of 49. I have a young (27 year old) Russian wife and 2 young daughters age 1-6. We are looking to relocate outside the US for many reasons. One reason is her family can not visit the U.S. Visas here are next to impossible if you are not wealthy. I have spent my life near Dallas, Tx. We are considering both Costa Rica and the DR. In the DR we are looking at either Punta Cana or Cabarete. We are family people who love boating, fishing and the beach/water. We do not really party or drink much at all. I will take your adice and do a test life for 3-6 months first, but I can only choose 1 area to live Here are my questions.

1. Which area is more consistent for family life...ie health care, education, shopping, movies, parks? I am accustomed to driving an hour or more for these things now so a drive of 30 mins is acceptable.
2. Where can I best educate my children besides homeschooling? I beieve kids need to socialize more.
3. Which area would be best to keep a decent offshore boat for fishing and pleasure boating?
4. I prefer owning a house on at least 1/2 acre with a pool but not too isolated. Where do I get the best deal for my money?
5. Are there any Russian communities in DR?
6. Can a family live 6 months a year in the DR and still maintain residency as I fully intend to carry my weapon as allowed by DR law. 25 years of police work has ruined my trust in humanity. So which areas seems to be less crime stricken?
7. How bad are the mosqitoes in each place?
8. Which area seems to be less windy?
9. What are average utility bills for a home monthly?
10. What are the property taxes on a 250K home?

Thanks and I appreciate everyones time.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rikdcop, I've moved your post to its own thread as your questions are quite specific. How much time have you spent in the DR?

I would say that the people here cannot make a decision for you as to the DR or Costa Rica. You have to do that yourself and to do that, you need to go and live in each country for a few months at least.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would say that either place (PC and Cabarete) would just about fit your criteria, so as Chris says the only way is to come and see for yourself.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Hi Rik,
I'll answer where I can regarding Cabarete area...

1. Which area is more consistent for family life...ie health care, education, shopping, movies, parks? I am accustomed to driving an hour or more for these things now so a drive of 30 mins is acceptable. ALL AVAILABLE TO A DEGREE FROM CABARETE. DECENT DOCTORS IN TOWN, PTO PLATA 40 MINUTES, SANTIAGO 1:15 MINUTES AWAY. DECENT INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL WITH LOCAL & EXPAT KIDS IN SOSUA. SHOPPING WOULD BE AN HOUR TRIP TO SANTIAGO, MOVIES 35 MINUTES AWAY IN PLAYA DORADA, PARKS - WELL, THERE'S THE BEACH & EL CHOCO NATIONAL PARK. NICELY GROOMED PARKS WITH TREES & LAKES & WALKING PATHS.... HMMM, NOT THAT I KNOW OF OTHER THAN MT ISABELA.
2. Where can I best educate my children besides homeschooling? I beieve kids need to socialize more. TWO INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS IN SOSUA. ONE IS http://www.garden-kids.org , I DON'T RECALL THE NAME OF THE OTHER.
3. Which area would be best to keep a decent offshore boat for fishing and pleasure boating? DON'T KNOW.
4. I prefer owning a house on at least 1/2 acre with a pool but not too isolated. Where do I get the best deal for my money? THIS SORT OF THING EXISTS IN CABARETE AREA. KEEP SECURITY IN MIND WHEN LOOKING. 250K YOU MENTION BELOW SHOULD GET YOU A GOOD PROPERTY
5. Are there any Russian communities in DR? THERE'S A GROWING RUSSIAN COMMUNITY HERE IN THE SOSUA/CABARETE AREA. SEVERAL BUILDING PROJECTS GOING ON & EVEN A RUSSIAN CHANNEL ON THE CABLE SYSTEM
6. Can a family live 6 months a year in the DR and still maintain residency as I fully intend to carry my weapon as allowed by DR law. 25 years of police work has ruined my trust in humanity. So which areas seems to be less crime stricken? I DON'T THINK THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THIS, BUT MIGHT BE A PROBLEM WITH CONTINUITY OF YOUR KIDS EDUCATION.
7. How bad are the mosqitoes in each place? IN CABARETE, IT REALLY DEPENDS... NEAR THE LAGOON OR WET FIELDS THEY CAN BE PRETTY BAD AT TIMES. NEARER THE BEACH NOT BAD AT ALL.
8. Which area seems to be less windy? CABARETE BEACH IS WINDY, BUT IT'S A NICE FREE A/C SYSTEM WHEN YOUR OUT ON THE HOT DAYS & IT'S WHAT MAKES IT A GREAT KITING/WINDSURF DESTIATION. OFF THE BEACH IT IS NOT BAD AT ALL & GENERATES A NICE BREEZE DURING THE DAY
9. What are average utility bills for a home monthly? WHEN PEOPLE ANSWER, REMEMBER THERE'S PROBABLY NO 'AVERAGE' HERE. IT'S NOT LIKE IN THE U.S. WHERE MOST PEOPLE RUN THE SAME ITEMS & YOU KNOW IN GENERAL WHAT IT COSTS FOR A 2000 SQ FT HOME. HERE, IT DEPENDS IF THEY HAVE A/C (AND WHEN THEY RUN IT), A POOL PUMP, USE HI-EFFICIENCY BULBS, SUPPLEMENT BY SOLAR, INVERSOR, OR GENERATOR. WHETHER EDENORTE (UTIL COMPANY) IS ON 24 HOURS OR ONLY 3 HOURS A DAY, PRICE OF DIESEL FOR THE GENERATOR.