Charities in DR

tcinlo

Feb 1, 2008
Don't get me wrong. When I travel in Latin America I enjoy the beaches, the food, salsa and all the rest, but often I'll take a day to visit a children's hospital. Usually I can find a nurse or doctor that can direct me to some children or parents who need some help. Sometimes inexpensive medication or a stuffed animal can help a lot.

So my question is: Does anyone know of local DR (Not US charities) charities or clinics that are doing great work that I can visit when I travel there?

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Dear tcinlo, please try to contact la Profe. She's member of this board. I don't this person but I know she's God sent.

Gracias,

Zeus (In need of a God)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
:eek:

Too bad we don't have a blushing emoticon. Thank you, Zeus.

If the OP is interested in visiting on the North Coast, I can help. There are several homes for disabled children, a public hospital, well-run public schools, some orphanages for young girls etc.

Outside of the Puerto Plata area, I am not familiar. However, Hillbilly has information on Santiago and I think it is Johne who is involved with Casa Rosada in Santo Domingo.

TheQueen

Jan 31, 2008
I would be interested in knowing about the info you have on the Puerto Plata area. That is where we are going in April and we would love to visit an orphanage and take them some things!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Are you back in the country now La Prof 1?? I would appreciate a meet up if you are.

If La Prof is busy & unable to organise something (MOST unlikely knowing her) then I can come as a poor second best. Integracion Juvenil is a school for abused & deprived children in the Puerto Plata area & I am available for taxi duties, photo sessions when needed! ~ Grahame.

tcinlo

Feb 1, 2008
Thanks la Profe. I travel light so it is easy to fill a second bag with clothes. What age range is the orphanage? What is needed most? A quick trip to the Goodwill here in the US can fill a bag for a few bucks.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
The children of Mustard Seed range in age from 3 to 16 years, They are the profoundly disabled children - both mentally and physically. There is a long list of items they need. so if you PM me, I will send it.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Grahame, I have been back about ten days. It was a long time away, but a death will do that. I'll try to call you tomorrow or Tuesday - have people coming in both days, however, to work on foundation proposals.