New RE buyers are tax-exempt for 10 years

tomis1

Oct 18, 2006
I was reading the NY Times last week and and I came across the following: "New buyers in the Dominican Republic are tax-exempt for 10 years, and the country allows a one-time tax-exempt shipment of two containers of imported goods, which can include automobiles.". ( see page 2 of the enclosed link)

Is this an actual law in DR and how can it be envoked when shipping to DR?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/25/travel/escapes/25golfhomes.html?_r=1&ref=escapes&oref=slogin

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
If you read the thread above yours on investment relief you will have the correct info. There is a tax free recipricol agreement between the DR and some countries on importation of goods, but it only applies to businesses

tomis1

Oct 18, 2006
Thank you for the reply; however the article language implies that the tax break applies to individual buyers.

voyavivir

Jan 24, 2008
tax-exempt

I became a resident by "investment" (for around RD $20,0000 and much paperwork in 2007 spanning around 4 months and two trips to Santa Domingo) by proving that I had over 20 times the DR minimum salary (around $1500/mo or so). I also needed to open a US$4000 CD at an APR of 1.2% for 1 year. I have since closed the CD.

The two immigration officials I emailed and talked to told me that the import of my household goods (including my vehicle/s) would be taxfree. They all said that 'Things that are part of my "mudanza" to the DR would be tax free'.

I did not go to any attorney other than two immigration officials which were not actually attorneys.

Immigration called this a "residence through the window of investment", even thouh I have not really invested other than the ~RD$20k taxes +~RD$10k/2yr I have been told.

A benifit of this is that I no longer need a tourist card and I can stay or leave the DR without paying taxes.

There are many specific I won't pretend to understand but the point was that I "could" invest so they aren't charging taxes even though I do not have a company in the DR.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Todd