Propane conversion shops Santiago

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Anybody know which is the best Propane conversion shop in Santiago for vehicles profesional as possible meaning not a stove tank job.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't know of any in Santiago.

In Santo Domingo, around Pena Battle 1 block east of M. Gomez. There are several professional shops and you see a lot of cars being converted daily. There may be 5-6 shops in one block radius there.
Easy get - in: right after Texaco gas station make right going north on M.Gomez, and first street make left, and go 1 block north, on that street there are the shops.

It takes 4-6 hours.

I got mine at Leo Gas. It is a regular LPG gas system, it cost 15.500 pesos, got it 6 months ago, 8 months guarantee, works well, required 3 fine-tunes, I get about 33%-40% savings against gasoline moneywise, also depends on where one gets the tank filled, here in Higuey I do 230 miles at 15 gallon full fillup (into a 16 gallon tank!!!) on highway speeds (around 50-60 mph/80-90 kmph), have 2.4l 6V engine, gas system is Italian one, has electronic control inside, tank is a quality tank volume 16 gallon. However it is not controlled - gas- injection - system (similar to fuel injection)(- my father got that one in Europe - ) those can be done here as well, price is about 50-60.000 pesos.

Last edited:

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
I had a friend who had his jeep done at a place on the auto pista .
He was happy with the job . He has had no problems with it .
Dont know the name of the shop but if you head south on the auto pista out of Santiago , you will pass El embruho 3 and La Lave mercado .

Its about 1 mile further south , on the North bound lanes .

If you have any questions you can PM me for better directions .

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I had a friend who had his jeep done at a place on the auto pista .
He was happy with the job . He has had no problems with it .
Dont know the name of the shop but if you head south on the auto pista out of Santiago , you will pass El embruho 3 and La Lave mercado .

Its about 1 mile further south , on the North bound lanes .

If you have any questions you can PM me for better directions .

Yes the name is Tony Gas, 200 Mts. from the Bowling Center going from Santiago to SD.

JJ.

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
downside to conversion?

It seems the conversion is a great way to go, however, when I see the tanks I am concerned about the safety, especially in the case of a car accident. Is there a higher risk or is similar to a gasoline tank? Are you able to place the tank in a safer location than the trunk area?

Thanks!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I think the best place is in the trunk , safer and the distribution of the heavy load of the tank goes directly to the suspension system of your car. propane system with a good maintenance is and inspection is safe, I used it for 10 years and never had problem , now I drive a Diesel car.

JJ.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes the name is Tony Gas, 200 Mts. from the Bowling Center going from Santiago to SD.

JJ.

Better than Tony Gas is a place almost directly across the street down the hill from the new hospital right before the light. They will do a much better and more professional job than Tony's. They installed a system for me in my SUV and the tank is welded underneath where the spare tire was and the system starts the vehicle with gasoline then switched to propane when the rpm's reach a certain speed.

May 12, 2005
They installed a system for me in my SUV and the tank is welded underneath where the spare tire was and the system starts the vehicle with gasoline then switched to propane when the rpm's reach a certain speed.

Chip, do you realize you are driving a rolling IED??

Feb 7, 2007
They installed a system for me in my SUV and the tank is welded underneath where the spare tire was and the system starts the vehicle with gasoline then switched to propane when the rpm's reach a certain speed.

This is the Italian system with the control inside, so by being Italian I assume it;'s prettyu safe. EU does not allow some b$$ being manufactured and sold, they are pretty tough with EU wide regulations to the extent they tell you what percentage of red color can be used on a milk carton (JK :) ) This system can switch between gas/gasoline and gasoline, starts with gasoline and turns to gas when the acceleration reaches 3000 rpm. As far as I have seen it's the standard system, although it can be programmed to start on gas (propane) instead of gasoline.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is the Italian system with the control inside, so by being Italian I assume it;'s prettyu safe. EU does not allow some b$$ being manufactured and sold, they are pretty tough with EU wide regulations to the extent they tell you what percentage of red color can be used on a milk carton (JK :) ) This system can switch between gas/gasoline and gasoline, starts with gasoline and turns to gas when the acceleration reaches 3000 rpm. As far as I have seen it's the standard system, although it can be programmed to start on gas (propane) instead of gasoline.

Correct, thanks for the vote of confidence - phew....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Correct, thanks for the vote of confidence - phew....:paranoid: