Dominican or American

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My friend is American (Both of her parents are Dominican but she was born and raised in the US). She is 6 weeks pregnant and moving to the capital in 2 weeks to live with the father of the baby (who is Dominican born and raised). She would like to know will her baby be considered American or Dominican, in the eyes of the US and Domnican Republic. She is very concerned about this and is thinking of staying in Puerto Rico with a friend the last month of her pregnancy if her baby will be considered Dominican if she gives birth in the DR. We have looked for the answer to this question to no avail. Thanks.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Your friend is American so she is a American, if she gives birth in Puerto Rico her baby will be considered Puerto Rican IMHO

J

John Evans

did puerto rico become an american state while i wasnt looking

fabekid

Jun 29, 2007
The baby will have dual citizenship if born in the DR, because of the mother being a U.S citizen. you will need to file the right paper work for your baby at the american consulate in santo domingo. if all your paper work is correct they will give you appointment for the interview to take place within a month. i'm doing the process now, i file the paper work for my baby on 2/5/08 and got my appointment for 3/11/08. they only accept application for birth abroad on tuesday and friday between the hours of 730am-930am. as of now the fee is $162us. you will pay that at the time of the interview.

Last edited: