Snorkling in the DR

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
Traveling to the DR for the first time next month, my fiance and I are going to be spending three days at an AI in Bavaro. Since we definitely want a snorkling day trip, Isla Saona and Isla Catalina seem to rise to the top.
1) are we looking at the right destinations for the best snorkling? (selfishly want to see the best fish/most color, but my conscience wants us to also ensure we're 'tredding lightly'-- making as little impact on the environment as possible)
2) is it reasonable to expect to be able to do it as a daytrip and still remain fun/relaxing?
3) is there a recommended tour company (or alternate recommendation) for such a trip?
4) should we rent snorkling 'equipment' from a local company or use what the tour offers? (recognize importance of it being well maintained and fitting right)

And since alcohol is mentioned in most postings regarding snorkling excursions, thought is was worth mentioning that access to it is not a factor in our decision of one tour over another. We're there for the purpose of snorkling.

Thanks!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have asked same question a few times with no good answer. It is very frustrating as the snorkeling i have found has been really sub-par.

I dont feel like doing the "day trips" offered to saona and catalina as i dont want to with a bunch of drunk tourists. (i like my brugal and presidentes mind you...but i dont want to be with a bunch of rowdy tourists)

I HAVE heard (it will cost a little money tho) is to hire a fisherman to bring you to saona from Bayahibe. I've not done this as i was traveling solo and it was costly....but i bet you could try to organize a snorkeling group as it is high season right now.

If worst comes to worst...try the day trip and report back. I just think the other option i meantioned sounds WAY cool.

oh...and i always bring my own gear.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
snorkelling in catalina is fab - better than Saona. The 'Wall' has lovely snorkelling - the reef is at 5 metres but lovely fish and corals. You are always better to have your own mask and fins but those that they rent are usually of good quality. There is also good snorkelling off the beach in Catalina. Saoan is better for the sea and Catamaran experience and Catalina for snorkelling and diving - IMHO.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Hey Stateside, Snorkeling was awesome in Catalina, didnt see one fish at Saona, they take you to a natural pool and you find starfish, actually i did see a small manta Ray, but that was it!!
you should go to Costco, they have a great deal on snorkel gear "Body Glove"adult.. something like $50, the fins, dry snorkel,mask etc.. i bought mine a couple years ago and swear by it! But they do sell them as regular stock!! Assuming you have a Costco near by!!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Oh and you should definately bring a water bottle with you full of crumbs and mashed bananas, the fish love it!! you get swarmed!!
Have an awesome vacation!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
thanks matilda!!! i have heard there is good snorkeling in guyaccanes. is that true? i've found the water to be very very shallow...perhpaps i am in the wrong area

I kinda like my idea of a smallish snorkeling group. Just not sure if i am gonna get there next month or not...but its something people here should try to pull together and do.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Off the restaurant el Pescador there is good snorkelling but go the other side of the reef not the beach side.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
awesome...thanks!!!! i am sure i can remember the name of the restaurant lol. and i am sure my friend can get me there. It would be coold to find some decent snorkeling nearby to BC without having to do the whole day trip....but i think i will try the catalina trip on your recommedation.