Jarabacoa - New Hi-Rez Satellite Imagery and GPS Roads in Google Earth

russ_offord

Jun 6, 2007
blog.jarabacoa.org
Jarabacoa in Hi-Rez!

I have updated my website jarabacoa.org/gps to include files that allow you to view Jarabacoa satellite imagery in high resolution (4 meter) within Google Earth.

You can also open a file that shows the major roads and main streets as well as rivers, streams, and aqueducts of Jarabacoa. Also included is a file that shows barrio names and special points of interest throughout the area.

You will need to have Google Earth installed on your computer to view the imagery and GPS files of the streets.

Russ Offord
russ@jarabacoa.org
http://jarabacoa.org/gps

russ_offord

Jun 6, 2007
blog.jarabacoa.org
Content to Contribute?

I am hoping to obtain updated satellite imagery and maybe larger coverage in the next months if I can convince my contacts to give me more images! :)

Feel free to email me with ideas or to donate waypoints, GPS tracks or any type of map image of the Jarabacoa area / province of La Vega for inclusion on the website.

Russ Offord
russ@jarabacoa.org
http://jarabacoa.org/gps

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Did you contact people at Google Earth to create the hi-res images? I have been hoping they would "focus" the satellites for the North Coast - as of now the images are hi-res from west of Puerto Plata, to POP, then lo-res until Rio San Juan, then hi-res again to Samana...

russ_offord

Jun 6, 2007
blog.jarabacoa.org
Satellite Imagery of Jarabacoa

I got the hi-res image of Jarabacoa from an NGO in the Dominican Republic and imported the image into Google Earth myself.

Google is not responsible for snapping the satellite images nor does it decide where the satellites should focus (ie: what oribt/path around the earth that the satellite should travel... hence, 'when' to take the photo.) Google only works to buy the rights to use imagery that has already been shot from many worldwide sources.

It took me a while to learn how to create the 'super overlay', but basically the huge georeferenced image (a 1.5gb image file with dimensions of 25,0001 x 25,0001 pixels) is sliced up into thousands of very small images (256 x 256 pixels) with several 'levels of detail.'

Google Earth KML files are used to reference each image slice so that each section is shown on the screen only when needed, thus making file loading and viewing a lot easier on the computer, especially over the internet.

As the people from Google negotiate to use more imagery, and as 3rd party satellites eventually snap shots of more areas of the universe, more high resolution areas should become available in Google Earth.

Russ Offord
russ@jarabacoa.org
Russ Offord - GPS / Google Earth Projects

J

John Evans

i was amazed by the roads around jarabacoa they have tarmac and lines with no pot holes--- by the way has that footbridge to the waterfall been put back yet -