dominican multi-tool

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Has anyone seen extraordinary uses by locals with their machete?
My favorite is at the butcher, the cows head still on the floor, asking how many pounds of bola I would like today and hitting it right on the mark in one fell swoop. Please, your insights?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Seen them used for slicing carrots (I almost winced just to watch but the person was extremely dextrous), prising open car bonnets and boots, as a plate at a worker's mealtime, as a back scratcher & ditto for other parts of the anatomy which I won't specify for now :cheeky:.

Do Los Cazadores still use 'Machete, carajo!' as their battle cry?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
How about openig any package no matter how small or fragile..
Applying hot tire patches, opening beer bottles(my favoite), getting stuff out of the way, completely dissasembling wooden homes/reassembling homes, opening coconuts without losing fingers, killing fish, pounding nails, making an exclamation even more emphatic, shaving, cutting hair,,,? I must not be staying in the right AI....Man, I love this place!!!

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
A machete is a fine tool

it is sharpened in 3 different ways/zones (if done correctly)

The edge of the tip is realy sharp. Sharpened in a realy sharp angle like a razorblade
The curve at the tip and 10 to 15 cm below it are sharpened in a blunt angle like an ax and used for chopping.
The lower end is sharpened like a normal knife.
The 3 areas have different uses.

In the jungle it is the tool you need to survive. With it you can do anything for which you need a knife or an ax.

Greetings

Johan

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Driving from Samana to Santiago with a detour right at a washed out bridge near the Autopista close to Banao, I was impressed with the efficiency three Dominicans with machetes were in clearing out downed trees on the roads.

J

John Evans

of course they would be arrested in the uk just for carrying one lol

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We are convinced that our worker, Tuli, was actually born with his machete in his right hand!! He does most of the things mentioned previously in this thread plus he is very adept at catching fish in the river by actually spearing them with his machete....

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I saw my brother-in-law's mother use it to scratch her back, seriously!!!!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
How about opening a can? I had to laugh one day when some guys working on a construction site had opened their can with a machete for their on site lunch. I coulnd?t help but point out to them that on the other side was a pull tab!

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
Everything is clear to me now !
In Nacho Libre, Chancho gives his inherited machete to Nacho, when he's leaving for wilderness, saying: This is my mom's "happy machete".
Now I understand. lol

J

John Evans

where does one sharpen ones machete - ferreterias? I could use mine as a butterknife its so blunt

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Are you guys talking about the short machete or the long one.
The long one is the one used to cut the coconuts.