El Yaque Motors, Santiago

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Yesterday I sent a (new) employee of mine off to El Yaque Motors, the Nissan dealer in Santiago.

The instructions were to replace the windscreen wiper blades, refill the windscreen fluid and put more air in the tyres. This should cost no more than RD$1000 and take less than an hour.

Three hours later they came back with a RD$5000 bill for "maintenance", and a further list of RD$37,000 of things that "needed to be fixed" in my perfectly running SUV.

(Fortunately, yes the wiper blades were actually replaced as I asked, and the tyres filled with air :) ).

FWIW. I've had similar experiences before like this with El Yaque motors.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
geez, and I was complaining because I paid RD1100 for an oil change and lube job at the local lubicentro.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Adrian: You only go there for MAJOR stuff....Fortunately you can afford it!!!! Good for you!!

For stuff like that you go to the shop that sell this stuff and put them on yourself.

For alignment, oil changes and such, you go to MAU over by the old airport.

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
It would feel better if they just had a donation box by the door. At least then I'd have some control over what I was giving them.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
So, do you have any idea if they actually did anything else to result in the RD5000 bill?

Caz

May 15, 2004
Perhaps your new employee asked them to service the vehicle? We have used El Yaque Motors for all major servicing for over 2 years now and have always found them to be reasonable in their prices.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Oh, they changed the oil and did all kinds of stuff. And by the quote they provided, clearly they would have continued doing a lot more work.

I have previously sent my SUV in 3 times and spent RD$4k and waited many months to have a problem with the gas door fixed which didn't work. I ended up finding a workaround on the internet.

I've had some average to ok experience with them as well. Sometimes they're the only game in town. But I'm going to be extra careful dealing with them in future.