buying furniture/appliances and cars in Santo Domingo vs. Santiago

ray unrath

Dec 28, 2007
I will be buying all things necessary for a house in Santiago and a car as well. Is it worth it to buy them in Santo Domingo and have them delivered to Santiago or is the pricing and variety similar in Santiago itself?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I would say that there is more of a selection in Santo Domingo, bigger upscale appliance stores, for instance, more US and European brands if that is what you?re looking for. But Santiago has all of the basics, and for things typically used by Dominicans, the prices are the same. Examples: fans, stoves/ovens, beds, etc. Ochoa on Feb 27 has appliances, lighting, outdoor furniture, office furniture, BBq?s, etc. Just check the pricing before tossing it in your cart. <but if you are looking for a specialty item, like a waterbed for example, or a very special light or subzero refridgeration, Santo Domingo.
One place I would definitely check is the highway out of Santiago to the south. Loads of local made furniture, and some pretty sweet bamboo beds on the east side of the highway, good prices.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
You'll get a better buy in Santo Domingo as it is the MAJOR port in the DR thus eliminating transportating costs..You will find a better selection and more in stock items...