Indie baseball film features Dominican hopefuls

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This looks like its going to be a good movie about Dominican baseball players trying to make it on the big stage. Looking forward to its release.

But for every Big Papi, there are hundreds of thousands of young dreamers who never reach the top, either by lack of ability or shifting priorities. Scores of young Dominicans who come to cities across America with stars in their eyes struggle to fit in to new cultures. They are far more likely to end up living paycheck to paycheck in Washington Heights, Jamaica Plain or Hialeah than collecting a Major League pension.

Such is the story of "Sugar," a fictional narrative feature film that premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah last week. The film was written and directed by "Half Nelson" helmers Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, and features a sizeable Spanish-speaking cast. Dominican national and 1990 World Series MVP Jose Rijo was a baseball advisor and appears in a cameo role.

The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Looking forward to it.

But, darn it! I once had dreams of making a film about a failed bachat?, the one who never got the chance to go on stage. I got so good at it, that I was able to summon real tears mid-way through some Antony Santos tunes.