How are beaches in North Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyman

Jan 25, 2008
Looking for the following information on beaches in Sosua, Cabarete and Las Terrenas.

* Is the water clean and swimmable.
* How are the currents.
* Are they white sand beaches or brown sand.
* Can you walk on the beach barefoot, I mean do you encounter spiders and/or other critters on the beach that you have to watch out for.
* What is water color.
* Any photos/links to site that show these beaches will be good.
* Are they really as good as they look on some websites. :)

Thanks

TheQueen

Jan 31, 2008
We spent alot of time on Cabarete beach and we loved it!

The sand was not WHITE but it was light colored. There was barely any garbage along the beach. The water was warm to us coming from Canada!

The water was clean (VERY SALTY) but clean. The waves were great for boogie boarding in. Not so much for swimming but this is the ocean after all!

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
salty

funny you should mention how salty the water is because we noticed that as well........so very salty compared to our water here in Atlantic Canada but the same ocean......I wonder why?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
funny you should mention how salty the water is because we noticed that as well........so very salty compared to our water here in Atlantic Canada but the same ocean......I wonder why?
Your tongue can't taste things as well when it's frozen solid??? ;););)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Try Playa Caleton in Rio San Juan, it has everything you are looking for and more.

Secluded, great fresh fish and Lobster served at a table right on the beach where you want. Cyrstal clear water.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Try Playa Caleton in Rio San Juan, it has everything you are looking for and more.

Secluded, great fresh fish and Lobster served at a table right on the beach where you want. Cyrstal clear water.
Excellent beach, but it might not classify as secluded.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am not talking about Playa Grande, that I agree is not, but I would consider it secluded. Have you been there Marc?
Yes, it's one of my favorite beaches.

PlayaCaletonA4.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture025.jpg

PlayaCaletonA6.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture020.jpg

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That is it. Great photos. The OP can judge for himeslf if he likes it. The thing I like about it is the service Anthony gives on the beach. Food, drink, whatever.

skiess

Jan 12, 2008
Coming from Playa Dorada if we are looking for a change of pace how would we get there? Not sure we will risk renting a car...Not quite ready for that yet! Yep true canadian coward!!!!It sounds really great. Is there any snorkelling there?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Coming from Playa Dorada if we are looking for a change of pace how would we get there? Not sure we will risk renting a car...Not quite ready for that yet! Yep true canadian coward!!!!It sounds really great. Is there any snorkelling there?

If you want to go on the cheap just take a Publico taxi. You can get one right to Rio San Juan, or take one to Sosua and from there you can get one to Rio San Juan. From Rio San Juan it is about a mile east down the road to the entrance. A Moto Concho can take you in five minutes.

Yes, there is snorkeling there.

pennyman

Jan 25, 2008
The beach does look lovely. Actually I am looking to buy a Condo in Sosua, Cabarete or Las Terrenas and the quality of beach is one of the criteria. Hence asking for recommendations among the three.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I was just about to inject Las Terranas and Playa Bonita into the conversation. I haven't visited Rio San Juan yet, and I'm looking forward to visiting there in a few weeks and experiencing the beaches there. I have visited Las Terranas for many years now, however, and I think that the beach there and Playa Bonita are absolutely wonderful. There is a lot of development recently in Las Terranas so things may have changed in the past 18 months. But I doubt anything can change the beauty of the water, the calmness of the beaches and the water is not too salty and a wonderful temperature.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The whole North coast from Sosua going East is littered with beautiful beaches.
I would choose the place that best suits me to live in and accept the beach that comes with the deal.
Once living here, it's always a thrill to jump in the car and go to another beach.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Yes, the entire coast has 100?s of beaches, some very crowded on weekends and others practically unknown. And you travel west to east the terrain changes as does the climate and flora, making the beaches of the north coast very diverse.

pennyman

Jan 25, 2008
We are looking to buy a vacation condo and hence will spend short time in DR. Once there we want to just be able to walk to the best beach among the three.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
In Sosua, cabarete and Las Terrenas , there are condos within walking to the respective beaches. The towns have individual feels to them as do their beaches. Las Terenas, to me, is too small for the crowd and noisy. Cabarete has a large crescent bay and a world class sporting crowd, and very predictable winds. Sosua has a more central beach with a very toutirst oriented scene. Of the three, Las Terrenas has the best snorkeling by far. And the beach is really a series of beaches stretching along that part of the coast.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We are looking to buy a vacation condo and hence will spend short time in DR. Once there we want to just be able to walk to the best beach among the three.
I don't know which three you mean, but "best beach" is very subjective.
One guy wants to surf, another snorkel, another wants secluded, another wants his beers brought to him.
Some like it calm for swimming.
There's no end to the variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.