Curry spices

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I cook authentic indian curries all of the time, and I am thinking of making them to sell in the colmado and whoever else wants them. Problem is the spices. I have enough delivered for me and friends and family, from the UK and US, but if I need to cook more I will need more spices. I have done a search and would like to know if the 'Lebanese deli on Churchill' is still there and if anywhere else in the Capital sells them. I would be looking for:

Turmeric
Cardamon Pods
Fenugreek
Garam Masala
Ground Coriander
Mustard seeds
Basmati Rice (Jumbo in San Pedro buys 4 sacks every 6 months and I nab them all!!!)
Popadoms
Chapati flour

I thought maybe Carrefour??? So if anyone has any idea I would be v grateful.

matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Matilda - yes, the Lebanese deli on Churchill is still there - at least it was last time I went, about a month ago. The exact location is Plaza Paseo de la Churchill, on the corner of Churchill and Roberto Pastoriza. It usually has most of the things on your list. Having said that I think the spice selection at Asiatico on 27 de febrero is more complete - it's on the main avenue just past Privada going east to west.

Most of the large supermarkets in SD stock basmati rice (in sacks and/or in smaller jars) on and off. haven't been to Carrefour for years so can't vouch for them, but they used to have OK ethnic food sections. Bravo and Nacional are the best IMO.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Can't speak to the Capital, but in Santiago Supermercado Nacional has Basmati rice. If you are having problems with the Corriander, the companies who supply the spices to the Salami manufacturers have it. For instance, Baldom.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I still have a bunch of curry spice mixes from my last trip to the UK, but I guess it won?t be long until I run out. Let me know how your findings go as I would be interested in buying some in the future.
I am on the north coast, in Cabarete, but there should not be any problems sending them here, unless you plan to travel to north from time to time....assuming you live in the south, that is.
And if you have any mango powder I would be very interested.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I've bought powdered mustard (brown)

and mustard seeds from Carrefore.

Why not take a trip down to see Mara (I used to bring cardomon for her sometimes) at Flor di Loto? She can buy them for you in India when she's there and have them shipped to you in San Pedro (she does it for herself each year now that she goes yearly to check on things at the foundation she runs there).

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Matilda,

Why not ask Oscar (forum name "dringa" - check the Noche Pakistani thread in the Santo Domingo forum) he does all this Indo-Pak cuisine so he's bound to know.

Best,

Bryan

cuas

May 29, 2006
If you need any special item from the US maybe I can help. I ship boxes regularly to the parte oriental.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Matilda, a couple of additional points re Asiatico - they close over lunch so bear that in mind. I think they are closed from 12:30 - 2:00 or even 2:30.

They are worth the trip though - the prices are much lower than the Lebanese deli's, and when I was there a couple of weeks ago, they were out of basmati but they had a pretty complete selection of Indian spices - including most if not all the ones on your list. They also had some Patak pickles and chutneys and loads of other products.
PM me if you want to meet up when you're in the capital - I live 5 mins away from Asiatico.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks so much for all the help. Chirimoya I'll definitely pm you when I come up to the Capital.