Any one know of a $300.00 USD wedding tax in Dominican Republic?

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I posted this in another topic and it was suggested I post it here.

We have relatives headed this way this summer to get married at a local resort on the north coast. The travel agent is charging an additional fee of $300.00 USD and says it is a new law and the entire amount goes to the government. Any one know of this new law?

thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I thought the other thread provided a pretty conclusive answer. Here is the official confirmation, on the Central Electoral Board (JCE) website:

Tasas para los Actos del Estado Civil

"Celebraci?n de Matrimonio fuera de la Oficial?a cuando los contrayentes son extranjeros no-residentes - RD$15,000"

(Celebration of marriage outside the registry office when both are non-resident foreigners - RD$15,000).

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks Chirimoya there was a lot of information generated from the other thread but someone suggested I post it in the legal secion for Mr. Guzmn. As for your website, thank you. Unfortunatly I do not read, write or speak Spanish. thanks again.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
P&G...I had heard it was $500...but it's only charged to foreigners that get married at the resorts...

Another brilliant idea from the government...Their #1 source of constant income...TOURISTS...and they want to charge them taxes on top of all the money the newlyweds already have to spend to have their ceremonies at the resorts!!! Go figure!!!

Pretty soon, all the brides will find another Caribbean location to hold their weddings...and they'll be left dry once more!!!!

MQ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And there are several requirements for the foreigner, like the single status declaration, which are listed in some other thread somewhere.