Cockfighting?

Pagemaker

Feb 9, 2008
I'm am thinking of moving to DR so that I will be able to raise and fight roosters.
What are the living costs there, and is it possible to find a rural area to raise chickens in at an affordable cost. I'm on a limited income.
Are there any individuals that already raise gamefowl that are looking to hire caretakers?
Thanks

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you want to live in a more rural area then The Dr is very inexpensive compared to The US, plus cockfighting is legal (as I'm sure you already know). Places like Cotui (where I'm from originally) you can get a nice apartment for about 150 USD a month. There are many people who raise cocks for fighting purposes and fights are held pretty much on a daily basis in different galleras (cockfighting ring) in different towns as well as very informal right on the streets.

Anyhow, before you can bet on these you need to learn the lingo (i.e. Llevar, etc). You don't need to have a lot of money to go to the local Gallera as betting is small deals (i.e. a couple of hundred USD). You also must be prepared to fight your way out of people trying to rip you off either by saying they didn't bet with you (when they did and lost) or saying you bet them money when you didn't. If you're tough enough then you'll do OK, otherwise I suggest just stick to raising the chickens and letting someone else (Dominican) do the betting.

I grew up in this culture as my grandpa was big into gallos; That included having some of my own. He got out of this business a while back, but I've seen him have to kick some a$$ several times in my life because of people trying to cheat him. It's not for the faint hearted...

At the coliseums this is big business and many thousand dollars are bet every fight. I also know a couple of people who have lost everything they had due to this vice...

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
I grew up in this culture as my grandpa was big into gallos; That included having some of my own. He got out of this business a while back, but I've seen him have to kick some a$$ several times in my life because of people trying to cheat him. It's not for the faint hearted...

At the coliseums this is big business and many thousand dollars are bet every fight. I also know a couple of people who have lost everything they had due to this vice...

Reminds me of a crazy story I once heard. Some guy lost a cockfight bet that was pretty big and didn't have the money to pay the guy he had lost to (I've heard variations on the story saying the guy was a gambling degenerate and a drunk and so on and so on). So what the guys did was shove the head of his rooster into his anus and beat the living daylights out of him. I think the story is total bull but its still a pretty funny story to tell someone to scare them lol. :bunny:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
With the exception of Oceanbound, who obviously knows nothing of this culture, the advice given is right on..

Santiago is big is this area. You might like to meet some of the major folks...

HB

nomads

Oct 31, 2007
I agree with Oceanbound. Deriving profit from watching animals fighting to the death is pathetic! It is an archaic form of entertainment. So much for human progress!
Although yes, it is a type of sub-culture ... but so are street gangs!
There is also dog fighting in Santiago ... is that OK too?
Thankfully WSPA is globally working on stopping all these animal cruelty types of "blood sport". The sooner, the better.
M

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm am thinking of moving to DR so that I will be able to raise and fight roosters.
What are the living costs there, and is it possible to find a rural area to raise chickens in at an affordable cost. I'm on a limited income.
Are there any individuals that already raise gamefowl that are looking to hire caretakers?
Thanks
If you are an American, then you should know that, to my knowledge, in Oklahoma cock fighting is legal.

Its the only state that allows such.

-NALs

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I agree with Oceanbound. Deriving profit from watching animals fighting to the death is pathetic! It is an archaic form of entertainment. So much for human progress!
Although yes, it is a type of sub-culture ... but so are street gangs!
There is also dog fighting in Santiago ... is that OK too?
Thankfully WSPA is globally working on stopping all these animal cruelty types of "blood sport". The sooner, the better.
M

Next time you eat at Ky. Fried Chicken ask yourself which bird has a better chance of living, the ones there or the ones in the cockfights?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I believe that if you follow Nals advice about Oklahoma you may end up in jail. It wasn't legal when I lived there but I enjoyed helping my uncles with their fighting game chickens. We had a lot of fun holding fights with the spurs clipped and covered. Fighting game are beautiful.

I don't much care for how they razor the feathers of the competing roosters in the DR, but it is an advantage in the fight for sure.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I think you are correct sir or miss......

WASHINGTON (April 10, 2007) - After an almost six-year battle, the U.S. Congress
has passed tough new legislation to crack down on organized dogfighting and
cockfighting. Tonight, the U.S. Senate approved by unanimous consent a bill,
H.R. 137, providing felony-level penalties for interstate and foreign animal
fighting activities, and outlawing commerce in cockfighting weapons. The House
passed the measure on March 26 by a vote of 368-39. The bill will now be sent
to President Bush for his signature.

http://www.bancockfighting.org/

and the bill passed and its the law of the land.....

H.R. 137: Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act of 2007 (GovTrack.us)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Maybe because I grew up with it, but cockfighting is definitely quite different than dog fighting (in my book anyway). A chicken is not a pet, but (to most people) it is just food. Now if you know you're going to get killed and eaten, wouldn't you want to at least have a chance to fight for your life.

You should also know that while many cocks do die during these fights not all do (even the losing ones). If you have a good fighting chicken and he's losing the fight you may just pull him before he gets killed so he can fight another day, so it's not automatic death. Also lots of times the wound is incapacitating but can be cured later so the chicken again survives.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Maybe because I grew up with it, but cockfighting is definitely quite different than dog fighting (in my book anyway). A chicken is not a pet, but (to most people) it is just food. Now if you know you're going to get killed and eaten, wouldn't you want to at least have a chance to fight for your life.

You should also know that while many cocks do die during these fights not all do (even the losing ones). If you have a good fighting chicken and he's losing the fight you may just pull him before he gets killed so he can fight another day, so it's not automatic death. Also lots of times the wound is incapacitating but can be cured later so the chicken again survives.

This is all right on. Also many winners are put to Stud to breed the same as a champion race horse. I kind of think they are living a lot better than the ones in Col. Sanders stable.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tell all of this bleeding heart crap to Cassius Clay, a.k.a. M. Ali.....I am sure he would understand it. Or Benny "Kid" Paret. Or the dozens of boxers that died in or out of the ring just last year.

use your energy to stop boxing....not a centuries old tradition that is a simple substitute for war....

HB