handicapped people in the DOminican Republic

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Hi,,,
I am recently home from a trip to the Dominican,while i was there i went on one of the out back tours,during the tour we went to a school house,,, this got me thinking.....Here in Canada i work with developmentally handicapped people,,,what services are there in the Dominican for these people ,,do they stay in group homes,or institutions or with their families?????
It would be interesting to visit the facilities that are there in the Dominican.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Some handicapped, depending upon the level of disability, do stay with family. On the North Coast, there are two homes for the disabled - those who are both mentally and physically handicapped. One of them, Mustard Seed Communities, is in the process of preparing to build a group home for adults to accompany the home they already run for younger children.

There are several adult mentally disabled people who spend lots of time on the streets of Puerto Plata. You will also see physically disabled in the street, usually with a collection cup of some sort.

Toddman1

Feb 3, 2008
Adr

Does anybody have a phone number or website for the association for Dominicans with Disabilities? I work with this population in the DR and really could use some more info. Thanks!