Palo de muerte

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
I am the uploader of the video, its a section of the movie perico ripiao. I haven't had the honor to see palo' de muerto being played in person, but i have both heard recording and oral stories of it. It is not very easy to just randomly see this, as its only played during the burrial or wake of a person. It is usually attributed to a member of a cofrardia (society), the place where this is still SUPER common is Villa mella, and it can still be found all around the island in random countrysides. But your best chance of seeing one is going to villa mella, this inheritance is directly from the Kongo kingdom to D.R. Similar drummings dedicated to deceased members of a society are to be found in cuba by the practicioners of palo mayombe, the jamaican kumina which are of kongo extraction as well do a very similar drumming.
In D.R these are traditions that are dying out slowly because the young take no interest in keeping these traditions alive, specially when these kids assimilate into the big cities, and become reggaeton heads. :ninja:, Fortunately, these traditions are still being kept alive by the brave men and women all over the island, and abroad.

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
I swear I cant understand everything they are saying, is it a mix of other languages? If anyone could put the words here of this clip it would be appreciated

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
6 Years ago i saw it live (without knowing what it was) in Loma de Cabrera

I remember getting goosepimps al over
It was so intense and striking

Greetings

Johan

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
This is a rough quick dialouge of what i hear.

Lead Singer: Ma?ana po la ma?ana ecucha mi voh,
Crowd: ooo ooo eee aaah
Lead Singer: Pedro(or Pero) te toi llamando madre mia que aki voi yo
Lead Singer: Ave Mariah Se?ore vamo a ta llorando todo
Lead Singer: Ai Dilono? Te toi llamando que no se que voi a seer.
Lead Singer: Adio para nunca ma' fue que yo le dije a eeel
Lead Singer: Woooi mi Dolo' y ahora como me hago yooo
(The 3 stooges comes in, and its had to hear the singing)
Lead Singer .... Vamo a serle la visitaa
Lead Singer: Hoi Parakumbe mi dolor aii llevarlo por visitaa
(Singing stops due to woman wanting to see her son)
(Crying goes on and in the background there is an unintellegible chant)
(Fast Drumming and hard to understand singing due to arguing, will get back to you guys on that one)