Convert VISTA-crap to XP??

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Is it possible to erase the crap VISTA and install XP? Anybody that knows where to do it on the north coast (Sosua, Cabarete)?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you have a decent processor, 2 gigs of ram and a 7,200 rpm drive, you may prefer staying with Vista, assuming you go through the procedures mentioned in the link posted above.
After countless tests, swapping OS', and a couple of months of usage, I have drawn the following conclusions.
Thumbnailing photos and vid clips is slower with Vista, as is unzipping zipped files.
Programs open and operate faster with Vista, and the graphics a bit nicer.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
If you have a large hard drive might want to also consider splitting it into two partitions and have a dual booot (one Vista and one XP), best of both worlds....!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you have a large hard drive might want to also consider splitting it into two partitions and have a dual booot (one Vista and one XP), best of both worlds....!
One would still need to be able to get all the drivers, if one is expecting everything to work properly.
That being said, what possible advantage is there to partioning?
I have dual boot systems without partitions.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
If you have a decent processor, 2 gigs of ram and a 7,200 rpm drive, you may prefer staying with Vista, assuming you go through the procedures mentioned in the link posted above.
After countless tests, swapping OS', and a couple of months of usage, I have drawn the following conclusions.
Thumbnailing photos and vid clips is slower with Vista, as is unzipping zipped files.
Programs open and operate faster with Vista, and the graphics a bit nicer.

I have not... and a lot of my software does not work with ****-vista :(

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have not... and a lot of my software does not work with ****-vista :(
Is this a puter that has been converted to Vista from XP?
If it is a PC, I would be more than glad to put XP on for you, as long as you assure me that all the drivers are available, that is to say that it is not a new generation machine that may have some new hardware, for which XP drivers are not available.
If this is too complex, you are welcome to PM me for my phone number.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Rocky, you should get yourself a job at Microsoft support, your fast becoming the DR expert! :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Will there be a problem getting updates for XP if it is not an authorized copy?

Also, does anybody have a copy of Wndows 98SE? I have the codes but not the disc. - thanks

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Also, does anybody have a copy of Wndows 98SE? I have the codes but not the disc. - thanks
I have all the necessary stuff for installing XP and goodies, with updates and all, IE7, WMP 11, Windows Live Messenger, etc.
What I don't know is if I still have a copy of 98.
I did have a legit copy and it's just a matter of me searching through a ton of software, to see if I still have it.
I might have played Frisbee with it, lol.
I'll let you know, Chip.
PS: Your codes would do no good.
One needs the codes for the particular disc that one uses.
If I stil have my copy of 98, it'll have the codes.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

We have a copy of Windows 98SE, which was used back in the computer repair/ build shop which we had back in the UK so it was set to load automatically and includes the necessary code. All you may need to do is load some of your drivers. It is set to load UK keyboard and settings so, depending on your requirements you may need to change that. If interested please let us know.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We have a copy of Windows 98SE, which was used back in the computer repair/ build shop which we had back in the UK so it was set to load automatically and includes the necessary code. All you may need to do is load some of your drivers. It is set to load UK keyboard and settings so, depending on your requirements you may need to change that. If interested please let us know.

Do you know what the difference are in the keyboard?

The reason I ask is the computer is for a family member here in the DR who only speaks Spanish but is familiar with the American keyboard as well as the Spanish one of course.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Do you know what the difference are in the keyboard?

The reason I ask is the computer is for a family member here in the DR who only speaks Spanish but is familiar with the American keyboard as well as the Spanish one of course.

Its just that things are in different places but it is no problem to change the keyboard in the Control Panel on the computer to any language you wish. I have mine set to UK although I type on a Spanish keyboard because that suits me as I don't look at the letters/ numbers which comes from all the years working as a secretary etc.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Ramos is great! 580 pesos to change it...and some extra software to come with it. KudoZ to Ramon!

Forgot to tell that is not possible with all brands... For my Acer it worked, but I think he said that it does nolt work with Toshiba and Dell.

J

John Evans

wont you have to keep all your old versions of other programs as well if you keep xp....coz new versions of a lot of programs only work properly with vista its called forcing you to have it