tipping the maid

mml

Feb 11, 2008
we will be at an all-inclusive and I see that "small daily gifts" for the maid are recommended.. suggestions. I hate buying "junk" what is really appreciated? is cash better?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Cash for sure! While small gifts are not unappreciated, they dont put food on the table.
Enjoy!

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Agreed!!! Cash is the wat to go. However, having some gifts for children is an added bonus. Small cars, crayons, coloring books, hair items etc.
Also try writing a short note or two in Spanish (use a phrase book) I always do and the response is a short note back and much gratitude.
Enjoy !!!!!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
cash is great....but also dont forget about lotions & creams and small things that someone might not buy for themselves.

The thing to keep in mind is to leave them for her at the beginning of your trip. The attention will go way up from there.

I kinda wish there was a "do not disturb" flag where I stay. I am pretty clean on my own and they always turn off the AC.

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
. I gave money and little gifts daily, makeup,nail polish,candy,everyone wanted gum, pencils,crayons etc for her children ,socks etc...... I did not know this until my last day on vacation ,but thought it was useful information. If you leave gifts it is a good idea to write a note with the gift listing what you have left .... that way it ensures they can leave for the day with their gifts without difficulty... On my last day there I gave away quite a few things and was asked to document all items fiven so security would not question the staff leaving with the items...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Tip early and often, if you want your ac left on.. leave a note with the tip.