Relocation Consultancy Services

diyum

Jan 22, 2008
I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone or firm offering a relocation consultancy service in DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Heck, this whole board is sort of a relocation consultancy service!!

Where you heading, when....??

We can surely point you in the right direction...

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone or firm offering a relocation consultancy service in DR?

We moved here from the UK in June 2006, so relatively recently by many standards, and we learn a little more every single day about life here. However, against all the recommendations of others and, due to the fact we arrived with our 5 dogs and 2 cats, we chose not to rent for the first 6 months or so, but bought a property straight away and have never regretted any of it for one moment. We still have enormous amounts to learn but may be able to offer some advice with regard to relocating to the DR .... no charge for the service either!!!!!!!! Just a sharing of experiences which we are happy to give if others can benefit.

diyum

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for your responses.........hopefully you might be able to answer some of questions.

My wife and I have been researching various countries that we would like to relocate to, and have narrowed it down to DR.

I've spent the last six weeks reading through the forums, sometimes very late into the evenings. I've read so much I'm getting confused and tired. Whilst I've learnt a lot I still have many questions that need answering. I will attempt to explain our current circumstances below and I'm hoping a good samaritan will offer us guidance.

We've booked a two week trip next month to Punta Cana, staying at an IA. The general idea is to have a holiday and do a bit of research while we are there. We plan to visit Santo Domingo for 3 days to look around. The general idea is that if we like that we see, we will return in July (to Santo Domingo) and stay for a month. Following that we will visit a few more times and hopefully relocate in 18 months or less.

We have two daughters, the eldest (who is at university) will be staying in the UK, the youngest who is 5 will be relocating with us if it all goes well. We're are both IT Consultants who can work remotely, so we won't be looking for employment (we hope to spend some of our time volunteering as well).

Also, we may decide to rent for a couple of years so if it all goes wrong we won't have a property to worry about.

My key concerns arise mainly from the fact that I'm disabled. I have limited walking ability and sometimes use a wheelchair for distances. Additionally, we speak very little Spanish (I'm frantically try to learn at the moment but it is a slow and arduous process).

I have quite a lot of questions I need help answering. For instance, have we chosen the right areas to visit (in terms of access and ease of getting around)? Would we be better off in the North Coast? Where are the best international schools?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Look into Punta Cana. You have two good international schools to choose from there -- one operated by the people of Cap Cana, the Heritage School, and the other by the people of Grupo Punta Cana, and that is located in the Punta Cana Village.

I don't think SD is an option for someone who has limited walking ability.

I would look into getting a good Internet connection in Punta Cana and move there. It will be a paradise for a little girl.

diyum

Jan 22, 2008
At last! A definitive answer!

One question - we would like to be in an environment where we can meet and interact with the locals - would Punta Cana allow for this?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The DR is not really set up for someone with limited walking ability or a wheelchair. Buildings do not necessarily have wheelchair access, and street surfaces are quite rough sometimes. Having said that, if you do your research well, you will find an area that is suitable for you, just be prepared for local conditions. I agree with Dolores, Punta Cana is your best bet.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Tell your story right here on dr1.

Would love to relate some of our initial and ongoing experiences planning, moving and now living in the hills outside Sabaneta on the North Coast but to do justice to the tales it will probably have to wait until we get a cold, wet, windy day and I am stuck indoors with no yearning to go outside - so may be a long wait :bunny:

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Well Puerto Plata has sidewalks all over. As for "limited walking" I'm not sure exactly what that means. A wheelchair on the malicon would be just fine. Six klm round trip is a nice walk or simply 3 klm one way. There is an international school in Sosua. Take a look at Puerto Plata , Sosua and maybe Caberate.

diyum

Jan 22, 2008
Well Puerto Plata has sidewalks all over. As for "limited walking" I'm not sure exactly what that means. A wheelchair on the malicon would be just fine. Six klm round trip is a nice walk or simply 3 klm one way. There is an international school in Sosua. Take a look at Puerto Plata , Sosua and maybe Caberate.

Limited walking means I can walk but not great distances - I reckon half a mile at a slow steady pace :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I also want to warn you a bit about visiting in July which, along with August, are the hottest, most sticky, perhaps even most unbearable of the months. You will not be acclimated, i.e. in that you will know how to move very slowly, take long siestas in the heat of the day, etc...... so... be forewarned ..

diyum

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for the advice. However, after reading about various instances of racism in DR. We have decided to cancel our trip and try Barbados instead - much more expensive but I'm not likely to suffer any racism!

Quite ironic really because most Dominicans will be considered "Black" in the UK...lol

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks for the advice. However, after reading about various instances of racism in DR. We have decided to cancel our trip and try Barbados instead - much more expensive but I'm not likely to suffer any racism!

Quite ironic really because most Dominicans will be considered "Black" in the UK...lol

Oh, okay, then guess what you said initially "My wife and I have been researching various countries that we would like to relocate to, and have narrowed it down to DR." was not too accurate then?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Oh yeah.
Imagine that...
A lowly black having the nerve to be racist against you.
How unspeakable!!!

diyum

Jan 22, 2008
"Lowly Black"

Shocking indeed. I may be lowly but I'm sure I'm better educated and richer that your ignorant, sorry ass!

Let me guess you are one of those sorry ass whites who can't make it in thier own country!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
"Lowly Black"

Shocking indeed. I may be lowly but I'm sure I'm better educated and richer that your ignorant, sorry ass!

Let me guess you are one of those sorry ass whites who can't make it in thier own country!
You don't get it, do you?
You should hear yourself.
Reread your own post and see how racist it was.

PS: How am I supposed to know what colour/race/nationality/creed you are, and what do I care?
The fact is that your statement was extremely racist and we don't tolerate that on DR1.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

I have heard of MANY cases of racism in England ...... so I won't be going back there!!! (Hang on, I wouldn't want to go back anyway!:cheeky:;):surprised!)

Seriously diyum, if you believe what you read about a 'few instances' of racism & let it put you off without even checking it out for yourself, then you wouldn't last very long in this country anyway & your decision is the right one. As a tourist you won't be subjected to ANY racism - as a resident then the way you are received will be down to you ......... & ONLY YOU. I know many a dark skinned fellow who is almost worshipped here!! ~ Grahame.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Aaargh! .. I have no patience for a DR1 'new poster love fest' today. :laugh: diyum, we love you, but it is best that you don't respond any further on this issue. What will happen, is that your posts get deleted, and if you continue, you get deleted.

OK, play nice now all of you!

Rocky, 'black' is not a word in North America, but in the UK, it is a word :laugh: