Canadian Passport Renwal (Consulate or Embassy)

Willi

Mar 6, 2007
Firstly, pardon my ignorance!

Believe it or not my Canadian Passport is full after only two years (and this is the 48 page extended version). I would like to get it renewed without having to travel back to Canada. I go everywhere but.

I can get the application on line but after that I?m not sure where to go. Application says I can take it to the Canadian Embassy (I have address in Santo Domingo from previous poster) or I can take it to a Consulate - except those headed by Honorary Consular Officers (whatever that means).

Santo Domingo is a little out of the way so as I currently live in Santiago but frequently go to Puerto Plata and I think there is or at least was a Consulate there (but is it an Honorary Office)? Truly, I?m not sure of difference between a Consulate and an Embassy. So if anyone is familiar with the address/web or phone to the Canadian Consulate, whereby I can call and ask or if you have knowledge of their ability to do a passport renewal I?d appreciate it.

Further, I?d like to know if they allow expedited renewal.

Finally, from my last experience the Canadian passport system was very particular about the photos. My photo was rejected twice when processed in Canada last time (darn shiny head). Any advice on who takes good passport photos either in Santiago or Puerto Plata?

Also, does the guarantor have to be Canadian? I don?t think I have a person suitable to be a guarantor in the DR so I may have to do this in two steps as the photo has to be signed by a guarantor.

Please any experience or knowledge will help.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
My wife renewed her passport last week, in Toronto. On the application, she had to mention two people who knew her for the last 2 years, and another one for emergency cases. Was no need for them to sign the photos. They said it will take 2 weeks to receive the new passport.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I will be very interested to hear how this goes. I don't have anything to add really, so I apologize. But I didn't think Canadian passports could be made outside of Canada!

I used to work for the passport office in Mississauga, and the security steps & measures were so strict for passport production. I sort of assumed that no passports were produced outside of Canada due to the strict security requirements involved in producing the passports.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I always renew mine here in Santo Domingo. The embassy has some photo studio that they recommend, one is on Nu?ez de Caceres.

Willi

Mar 6, 2007
Just an update as i finally took in my passport renewal application. Here's what i experienced.

Both the Consulate in POP and the Embassy in SDO accept applications. I opted for the Embassy as i was taking in a visitors visa application for mi esposo.

Be sure to print the form for Canadians Living Abroad as the form itself and the rules for guarantor are different. The guarantor rules are very strict and they must be a Doctor, Dentist, Lawyer, Judge, notary public or signing officer of a bank whom has known you for at least 2 years. They also must live within the jurisdiction of the Canadian government office providing passport services and accessible to passport canada for verification. As i did not know any of these i had the Embassy sign a Declaration in Lieu of a Guarantor. If you require this service at the consulate in POP you will require an appointment with the Honorary Councel but the Embassy you could just walk in. Cost for statutory declaration was RD 1,400.

Passport application cost RD 2,950 which included a RD 700 consular fee. You MUST have exact money in Pesos. I gave her RD 3000 and they didn'd have change for the 50 pesos. I told her to keep it but she said that was not allowed and i had to go out to the street to get change.

As usual my photos were rejected and as poster noted above the Embassy recommended a studio which was close. Studio knew the Canadian guidelines and service was fast. Cost was RD 200. Luckily, i was having the embassy sign as my guarantor as i would have had to take my photos back to the guarantor for signature.

Though there was a list price for expedited service the Embassy did not offer this. I will have my new passport in 3 weeks. I made an error on the form and they were kind enough to call and correct it over the phone.

Overall the service was fantastic. They also registered me as a Canadian living abroad.

The cost of the passport services are going up as of October 30th but the prices quoted above was for Sept.

Hope the above is helpful.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Just from idle curiousity I would like to ask a question - Can't Canadians get extra pages put into their passports instead of having to get a new one? When I ran out of pages in my American passport I just took it to an American embassy and they put in extra pages while I waited.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Just from idle curiousity I would like to ask a question - Can't Canadians get extra pages put into their passports instead of having to get a new one? When I ran out of pages in my American passport I just took it to an American embassy and they put in extra pages while I waited.

It's not possible any more. Bienvenue ? Passeport Canada / Welcome to Passport Canada

Frequently asked questionsCan I add more pages to my passport?

It is no longer possible to add pages to Canadian passports. An applicant who has a valid passport in which the visa pages have become filled with visas or entry-exit stamps must apply for a new passport.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I will be very interested to hear how this goes. I don't have anything to add really, so I apologize. But I didn't think Canadian passports could be made outside of Canada!

I used to work for the passport office in Mississauga, and the security steps & measures were so strict for passport production. I sort of assumed that no passports were produced outside of Canada due to the strict security requirements involved in producing the passports.

The passports are still produced in Canada, the applications are accepted at Canadian ambassies or consulates though.