A trip to and from Cabarete for the opening

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Last night, with my boy the Dr., his wife and Mrs. HB, we took the Trail Blazer up and over the Carretera Tur?stica Gregorio Luper?n.

Oh my God! What a mistake...!! It is in horrible (but passable) condition. Folks, I can truly say to you that in nearly 50 years of traveling that road, i have never, ever, seen it like this. Never!!!

And no way will I travel it again for a long, long time.

We got ot Cabarete around 8:30, and I noticed the road work, which looks like sewers abd so forth. I do hope they get the roadway finished and resurfaced soon.

The reason for the trip was to attend the opening of Chez Cheo, a new restaurant out on the end of La Punta, the eastern tip of Cabarete Bay. It really is out on the tip. I mean, one more step and you are in the ocean.

The place has been tastefully decorated, tropical, laid back. Beer is cold. Meat is cooked by an Argentine chef. I did not eat a whole lot, I was not hungry. But Mrs. HB did and thoroughly enjoyed everything she tried (so did I).

The place is the old Martinez house at the end of the "road" that is just before Supermarket Janets....there are a couple more places to eat there.

The place will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. I await to hear from DR1ers (and there were several nice people there (cute, too!)) as to how the place will do....

The return trip was by way of Jamao and it was great. Only after the Molino did the road have some bumps....Otherwise it was clear sailing. Oh yes, there was a landslide near Palo something or other, but it is well marked...and they are working on it...

Back home before 12....

Up at 5 and off to Sto Dgo!!

I'm tired...

HB

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I've walked by that property a thousand times over the last several years. Always found it intriguing but was always told it had incurible title problems. Congrats to the folks that were more persistant than I. What a great location for that kind of establishment. Can't wait to check it out.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
HB,

We use the Carretera Tur?stica Gregorio Luper?n often and find it about as bad as ever. Just on it two weeks ago. However it is still the quickest route to the Sosua/Cabarete area. I did read somewhere that the government has said that the road work on it was completed last December and the road is in good condition. I think they must be smoking something. They will be repairing that road for the next decade at the rate it is being finished.
The mess in Cabarete has been going on now for about a year. They tore the road up to put the sewer in right after they repaved the whole thing. It is getting tiresome not to mention making "downtown" Cabarete a mess day and night.
We will have to try the new restaurant this week.

Bob K

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
We missed 'ya

don HB,
we were there early and left early and sure wish we could have met.
The owners are really nice folks. I didn't eat, but a friend said unkind things about the meat. I wish them luck. Nice location.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
don HB,
we were there early and left early and sure wish we could have met.
The owners are really nice folks. I didn't eat, but a friend said unkind things about the meat. I wish them luck. Nice location.

Are you saying the meat was not very good?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
No

I'm not saying the meat was not very good. My friend tasted whatever they had to sample and said HE was not pleased with it. I didn't eat, so I can't say.