sarah; any last minute advice on entrena

R

rick

Hi sarah and all other helpfuls,

leaving thursday morning for 23 nights; 3 weeks of spanish classes with entrena. any last minute advice on activities, classes, area, home stay families, etc...

also going to san juan for 2 nights; any suggestions on hotels, sights, clubs, fun ???

thanks much-- your previous advice was vey helpful, and i'm sure that i'll have a great time

lots of love

rick :)

E

Erica Eriksson

I?ll go on a languagecourse in a couple of months but I don?t know which so I would really appreciate if you could tell me or wright on this messageboard if you like it or not if that is possible ofcouse.
Thank you very much Erica

S

Sarah

Reprint from April 3, 2000...

Try Entrena in Santo Domingo at 809-541-4283. They are located at Rafael Bonelli #26, Baristo Morales, although they may have other locations throughout the country.

I understand that this is the school where Peace Corps members take language and cultural training prior to their terms of service in the DR. Entrena will tailor a study program for your needs. For example, when I was there for the month of September, 1995, I worked with a teacher one-on-one for 7 or 8 hours a day. Entrena also arranged for me to live with a Dominican family in Santo Domingo while I studied. They even helped me find a school for my 5 year old daughter to go to while I was in class. It was a great experience. The teacher nor the family I lived with would speak any English with me, although they probably knew some. But this was the best way, for me - total immersion! During my course of study, besides the necessary classroom study, my teacher and I visited museums, restaurants, and other sites in the city. I had to do all the communicating and in Spanish, of course. Sink or swim...I swam...and now my Spanish is still pretty good, four years later.

Good luck to you! ~Sarah

E

Erica Eriksson

Thank you both, I really appreciate it. May I ask how much you both pay/ have paid for the courses, and for how long time.
Good luck Rick!

Erica

S

Sarah

Erica, I cannot remember exactly, as this was five years ago, but I'll bet I spent around $2000 for a full month of one-on-one classes (150 hours, more or less), including room and board for myself and my daughter. Expensive, I agree, but high quality. I learned a tremendous amount. Not only the language but culturally as well.

R

rick

the course is US $375 per week, but slightly cheaper the longer you stay...so far so good from here..i only had one day of classes and it was more of an orientation to the city e.g., taking public cars and buses, how much to pay for things...but the family i am staying with is very nice...at the scholl there are quite a few americans studying...some from college programs, some from the military, etc... i{ll keep you updated on how the course goes over the next few weeks...the weahter is humid, but not too much rain...having a pretty good time, as expected

rick

R

rick

just read sarahs message..actually cheaper than 2000 per month, like i siad previously...the 375b USFD includes 2 meals per day, a private room and a shared bath... public car to class costs three pesos...very cheap

adios

rick

S

Sarah

Well, like I say, my fees included my daughter's room & board too, and that was five years ago. Maybe prices are lower these days. Good to hear things are going well. Keep us posted! ~Sarah

C

Charlotte

For RIck

Hi RIck, glad to hear things are going well for you so far. I just returned from the DR last week. Thinking about the Entrena program as well. Is there an e-mail address where Entrena can be contacted? I'd appreciate that very much.

Regards,

Charlotte

R

rick

Re: For RIck

there is, but i am not sure what it is right now...ill make sure that i get it though and post it here in the next few days..

sarah...had not thought of that...the difference was most likely your daughers room and board...

a quick aside...any suggestions for weekend trips...i have been to puerto plata and sosua...thinking about samana, santiago, or other possibilities....i have heard that samana is beautiful..any thoughts on the weather there at this time or transportation there, e.g. caribe tours, metro bus , etc...

thanks

rick

S

Sarah

Take Caribe Tours to Barahona for $65RD each way...have not been anywhere else...lots of beaches, fun night life, etc. Email me if you want suggestions on an inexpensive hotel and connections. I'll be there this weekend Aug 11-14!

E

Elena

Sarah,
You are so lucky to be going this weekend! Have fun!!
Regards,
Elena

S

Sarah

Re: For Elena

I'll be thinking of all of you as I'm celebrating Festival Patronales (I think that's how they say it) in the Southwest! Only my third trip in 6 months! This is getting addictive!! ;)

R

rick

thanks sarah...my email has been a bit screwy lately so i have been using a friends...can you email me a test email and then i will have your email on file...i have not been able to email without first receiving an email...dont know why? but i will talk to the guy who i will be traveling with this weekend and maybe we can hang for a night or so in barahona...he has to be back for his flight out of SD on sunday morning though...so we may only go for a night or a night and an afternoon...but i will definately talk to him later today and get back to you tomorrow

take care

rick

R

rick

sorry...the email i am using right now is "grace522 at juno.com"

rick

R

rick

sorry my email is screwy so i am using a different one for now...so if you have any specific questions, email me at grace522 at juno.com

right now though, i could not recommed entrena to you...my mind has changed substantially in the past few days...maybe the teachers i have had...or some other problem?...but i have not felt that the program has been geared toward me or that the teachers even care to be there...i complained my butt off this morning...and that is why i am not in class right now...rafael...the guy who handles incoming students is supposed to rearrange my program and assign me new professors for this afternoon....i will keep you updated...but a few examples for now will make my point...

my morning professor has kept his cell phone on in class each day and answered personal calls in the middle of our class...and i dont even mean like "hi how are you....i am in class and will call you back when we take a break" im taking five to ten minute conversations...the rest of the time ...well at least very frequently he is looking at his watch...totally disrespectful...but he is the good one.,..the afternoon one cannot even explain simple (and simple to me means that it really is simple because my spanish level is probably that of a high novice) grammar questions...he had to ask another professor to come and help ...

a little explanation...entrena assigns students ...at least from what i gather...two professors...my afternoon one is worse....and not just from my perspective...another student who i have been hanging around with has this goof as well...he has thus far trashed the students religion, the US and somehow (and i didnt ask for specifics on this one) disrespected this students wife..

the difference it that the student already speaks great spanish...reads spanish novels, newspapers...is good at grammer, etc...his company sent him here for a sort of continuing learning program..so he is not paying and considers this more of a vacation...so he doesnt really care what he learns...but he is also a bit aggravated and said that he will personnally guarantee that no one else from his company comes to entrena...

now keep in mind that sarah and others have also come here and apparently had wonderful experiences

maybe after my talk with rafeal this morning things will change

but hold off for now....or at least consider other programs here or in other countries...just my feeling

regards..

rick

p.s. i am still having a wonderful experience in the DR...i like the country, the people, the food, the music, etc... i plan on making the most of my stay here...just a bit disappointed thus far with the classes...

S

Sarah

Re: For Rick

Sorry things are not going so well for you. I'll bet that Rafael will make things right...maybe he'll take over the teaching! What about the family you are staying with? How's that going? I did send you an email, so be looking for it.

Z

Zippo Popo

Re: last minute advise

watch cowboy pictures

good guy
bad guy
girl
horse
maybe a side kick

you know what they are saying no matter what language it's in