What are some useful Spanish phrases I need to know when I get my cellular telephone

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
What are some useful Spanish phrases I need to know when I get my new cellular telephone at either Claro or Orange or Verizon in Santo Domingo in MegoCentral Mall?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
"Como se usa eta vaina"? ok i'm kiddin

u better off taking a translator with you.

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Best to take a Dominican Friend with you. They dont always sell cell phones to Gringos, plus it prevents overcharging. Also, look into what brand has the best signal in the area you will be spending most of your time. I have found the gsm claro to have the best signal overall. Many other factors to consider.. like how long will a number be held when not used. BTW Verizon is Claro in the DR.

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
?Cu?nto es?

I willl have everything I need to ask to the sales person in Spainish before I go to get the telephone. I know enough Spanish to hold my own ground. Claro should sell me the telephone if I have the money. Why do they not like to sell cellular telephones to gringos? Gringos need to be able call those beautiful Dominican women like the Dominican men. Money is green in the USA and in the DR. I am Dominican so they should not hassle me too much. "Soy dominicano pero naci en nueva york. Entiendas? Cuanto cuesta para el telefono cellular? Cuanto cuesta para 2000 (dos mil) minutos? Cual es mi numero de cellular?" Okay, I think you get the point. I do not want to be oligated to a plan initially however.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
"tu puede coger el telefon, pero ne me dispare",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can have the phone, but don't shoot me

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think as I remember they had to do something on your Orange phone/SIM (pay as you go) to activate the international connection. This way you can send and receive text messages (not sure about calls). My text messages were not reaching my friends in UK, but after she did something on the phone it started working.

Although, come to think of it, this was a couple of years back, my new Orange phone/SIM card didn't require this..... !? (best to test I guess).