Hole-In-One at Las Aromas, Santiago golf course

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
I told Grahame (BushBaby) I insisted on posting details and photos from the hole-in-one the old rascal managed to card when we played at Las Aromas on February 3rd. It was a cool experience for me to witness a HIO, I had never been present to see one made.

For non-golfers: Grahame got a hole-in-one!!

For golfers, it went like this:

We left POP that morning around 7:30 am, and it immediately started raining as we headed toward the Las Aromas course in Santiago. I'm not an early-morning person and this didn't help my disposition at that hour to be on the road to play golf in the rain. But no problem....rain golf is better than no golf - we'll do what we have to do. We crested the rise through the Altamira tunnel and as we headed down into the Cibao, the weather started to look better. Unfortunately Hillbilly wasn't able to join us that day, so Grahame and I set out on the course as a twosome. The rain was gone. We even debated whether to take a caddie or not and decided it might come in handy for the occasional errant shot, not that we intended to make any (!!)

The tee sign on the 3rd hole at Las Aromas indicated 165 yards from the blue tees we were playing from. It is an uphill, fairly narrow par 3, with the green elevated enough from the tee box that one can't see the surface of the green at all. Not much room to the right of the green or you're in the brush and trees, and it slopes severely downhill on the left side - so if you're not on the green or just off of it, you're in for a struggle. Not the kind of hole I usually approach with high expectations.

Doing the mental calculations that golfers must do to attempt to determine the proper club, we estimated the hole would play 180 yards based on the elevation of the green, and the fact there was a breeze into us.

I was first up on the tee and selected a 4 iron, my 180 yard club. It was perhaps my best shot of the day, a nice draw up the narrow slope to the green. The caddie liked it, and I loved it. I was pretty sure I would be on the green. Sweet.

Grahame hit his shot. Just as nice a shot as mine, also with a draw...maybe better based on the caddie's reaction. Caddie said "maybe a hole-in-one!" Not a chance, right?

When we drove the cart up to the back side of the green there was only one ball on the green, not very far from the pin. Nice shot, but who's was it? And where was the other ball? Since Grahame's shot was just that much better looking than my shot, I figured it was Grahame's ball a few feet from the pin and mine must have run off the green somewhere and was sitting just off in the fringe.

As the three of us walked onto the green to look for the other ball, the caddie said "Look in the hole." No chance, right? Like that's going to happen.

But there it was!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I missed my birdie putt, but Jesus Cristo, Grahame got a hole-in-one!! Very cool to be there for that, I must say. I've never had one, and I think Grahame said it was his first.

And now the commemorative Hole-In-One photos

Notice that in this shot you can see way back up the cart path to the tee box. From this perspective the blue tees are to the back, right side.

IMG_1569a.jpg

IMG_1570a.jpg

Now, for those of you who haven't played golf with Grahame you may be asking "What's up with those bright red pants!!??"

Well, you don't know the half of it.
Let's just say that he has a flair for fashion while out on the course, so I can't resist the temptation to include some other fine photos of Grahame from some other days on the DR links. This should help explain the red pants at least. (GW, I hope you don't mind me giving away your fashion secrets!!)

At Las Aromas, 1st tee
PtoPta3-2006018a.jpg

At Playa Dorada
PtoPta3-2006016a.jpg

At Playa Grande. I insisted he dress more normally, er, conservatively for Playa Grande.
He threatened to put on his swim fins and Speedo to hit this shot but the caddie recommended against it.

IMG_1782a.jpg

Random Playa Grande tee box photo, just 'cause we're talkin' golf!

IMG_1657a.jpg

And there you have it - GWB's Hole-In-One. Not some dinky little 125 yard par 3 either.

A

apostropheman

i could live without the red pants...but the feather boa is a good look for BB :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Little???????
It's the cold weather on the north coast that does it!! ~ GW

(NO problem with showing the ensembles Fes. Next time it is your nobbly knees though!!)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Congrats, Graham.
Hopefully someone will downsize those pics so I can view them.
Unfortunately, my monitor isn't 3 feet wide.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
lol omg...............

love the LOOK. Maybe DR1 should start the fashion section and BB could head it up. :cheeky: Nice to see the sense of hahaha WTG

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nice one Grahame.

I can attest that the par 3 in question is one of the tougher par 3's I have played. It is typically into the wind and with the woods on the right and the dopoff on the left, bogey is what I usually make.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Grahame is the man...

Never had a hole in one, proud of you Grahame. Too bad Luis wasn't there to witness the "main event" of the day. Lots or bragging is in order I guess!!!

I played with you & Luis a couple ot times if you remember. Say hi to Judy.

As for the fire red pants... no comment.

Georgios

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
Congratulations Grahame, must be nice to not have to get the putter out of the bag!!!!:bunny::bunny:

Are you going to get your ball bronzed?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Ahem. Something you want to tell me, BB..................??:laugh::laugh:

LOL I had to go back and re-read that - I thought I had just misread what he wrote!! Maybe with the British accent - it sounded like Judy to him!!

Congrats, Grahame. You are looking great - costume or not! Good to see Dave as well!!

Wow is all I have to say about those courses - beautiful !!

Marlie

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I played with you & Luis a couple ot times if you remember.
Yes, we remember - even the birds couldn't drown the chatter of that day!!:cheeky:

Say hi to Judy
NOW you have done it!! A LOT of quick thinking got me to the argument that it was YOUR bad memory for names that was at fault here :cheeky: :chinese: :paranoid: NOT my philandering with a girl called Judy!! It SEEMS to have thrown her off the scent so back me up if she comes on to you sometime!!

And NO MORE mention of girls you saw me with please - gives a guy a bad name!:ermm::surprised! ~ Grahame

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Whaddya 'ya think it does for Judy?
(couldn't resist:::)
Oooooooo, that was below the belt Sir. In fact it was even below my Purpley thing!!!

I'll pick you up next time for a trip to Playa Grande, put your golf clubs in the yipetta & leave you to walk down to PG!!!

Oh ......... if those young girls in Bikinis walk through the airport again, pull them to one side, prohibit entry for their flight & save them safely for our next outing to Playa Grande please. :bunny::bunny: ~ Grahame.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Congratulation is the order of the day!

Very well done Grahame.

I only assume the feat was duly celebrated........

/bok

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I only assume the feat was duly celebrated........
/bok
ABSOLUTELY M'Dear Old Bok. All the caddies were out in force as soon as we got off the 18th demanding their :pirate: 'regalos'! :pirate:! Anyone would think THEY had something to do with the event!!!!! :paranoid::surprised

I duly waited for the 40 or so at the bar to leave & THEN mentioned it to the few remaining (You KNOW what a cheapskate I am!!). Ball, card & little present from the starter are now sitting in my presentation cabinet alongside the Marco Midence (Mu?o?o) Open memorabilia from last November. ~ Grahame.