F16's Buzzing Santo Domingo!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This past weekend San Isidro air base hosted a very large two day air show.
All areas of the armed forces were represented, along with some commercial aviation companies. They put on a various air displays from stunt planes, parachutists, vintage planes etc. The organizers put on a great event and 1,000's of people attended over the two days.

The US Air Force brought down ten F16's, along with their "Viper West" F16 demo team based out Hill Air Force Base in Utah.

Viper West Demo Team

Luckily enough the boy's at DR1 were invited to spend some time with the "Viper West" team. They gave as "back stage" type access to the team and the two F16's they brought down.

The guys put on an awesome display over the two days and I'm sure it was the first time that most of the crowd had ever seen fighter jets. They did a total of three air displays and no pun intended, blew the crowd away! Seeing an F16 fly past low to the ground at almost Mac 1 is awesome!

Before and after takeoff the crew put on a ground display, that is typical military precision. The crowd loved it and really showed how disciplined and proud these guys are. Below is a clip I found on YouTube from a previous air show.

YouTube - Viper West Video

Big thank you to Jeff (Crew Chief), Russ (Pilot), Ryan, Jeremy and all the over guys for a truly memorable couple of days.

The team is leaving tomorrow (Tuesday), so tonight we are putting on a party for them at Mi Taverna. It should be fun, belly dancers, shooters, food, drinks, Top Gun videos etc. Everyone is invited!

Below are a few photos I managed to snap with my cell phone.

Up close and personal.
1.jpg

The guys from DR1. Left to right.
TJ, Lu, Jeff (Crew Chief), Ash (Mi Taverna) & Me.
2.jpg

Cockpit.
3.jpg

TJ looking to take one up for a spin :)
4.jpg

Part of the crowd, with a C31 mid air re-fueler.
You can see the flight crew hanging out on the wing.
5.jpg

Shot of the day! Color coordinated shoes and chair!
6.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Oh man, I missed this one. This would have been a dream come true for me to be there.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
jcporcella, amazing photo!

Pity I didn't know you was at the event, I would have liked to have met you.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert, I was with David Schultz's team and all the team members.

Cool. If your about tonight, most of the crew from the Viper Team will be at Mi Taverna tonight for a party, come along. It's in the same plaza as Trio Cafe on Lincoln. Oscar that runs Mi Taverna runs a couple of planes (Merlins) out of Higuero.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Great pics, ahhh bring back memories of my days in the airforce. When I get back to the states, I'll post some great photos of the F16 I worked on. I remember having to train at least 4 months before we were even allowed to sit in the cockpit and fire it up, nice.

Ricardo
F-16 Flightline Technician
USAF (Sheppard AFB)

jcporcella

Oct 9, 2003
fuerzasmildom.com
Robert.

The Viper west team is on their way back to USA. KC-135R and the demo team are at Las Americas scheduled to depart pretty soon.

What plane Oscar have at Higuero?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Man I'm sorry I missed this. I would have certainly made the trip to the capital if I had known - maybe next year.

Livio Moreno

Mar 5, 2008
Air shows are so exited and they always bring something diferent for the audience. I live in Providence, RI (UNITED STATES) and they have air shows every year. I would like to know when the next air show in DOMINICAN REPUBLIC will take place and where. That way, if I have vacasion plans, I will try to adjust to be present for the event. If anybody can share that information with me it will be great.

THANK YOU AND UNTIL THE NEXT TIME...