Nowhere to eat good food in Cabarete

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
I don't know if my backpacker days are now forever gone and I am becoming an old fart but it seems like I cannot find a single place in Cabarete that serves food a bit more sophisticated than a burger, a pizza or an iceberg salads. I am not hoping to find a Cordon Bleu chef but come on... Buyers of condos in Cabarete spend a fortune in beachfront units and penthouses and there is nowhere to go. Don't you think it is going to backfire on Cabarete at some point?

It seems like restaurant are changing hands constantly and ownership is drifting more and more towards amateurs.

I can't even seem to find a real cappuccino or cortadito...
:cry:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Apparently there are several really good ones.
Hang on for a bit.
Some of the local expats will have good suggestions soon, I'm sure.

A

apostropheman

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
I would love to know as I have tried so many.

I heard that many expats living in Cabarete are in fact great chefs. Unfortunately, it pays more to be a real estate agent or developer than running a restaurant nowadays.

I have a lot of friends who bought or renting in Cabarete. We all love it but the food is really a concern.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I would love to know as I have tried so many.

I heard that many expats living in Cabarete are in fact great chefs. Unfortunately, it pays more to be a real estate agent or developer than running a restaurant nowadays.

I have a lot of friends who bought or renting in Cabarete. We all love it but the food is really a concern.
I understand how you feel, but you could start with the thread that Apos just posted, and wait awhile for more good suggestions from our Cabarete members.
They will come soon.

J

John Evans

ive been many times and never actually seen a burger or pizza...mind you the foods not been that good either lol......i beleive there are a few near janets supermarket down a side street and some on the choco caves road that sound better than the beach fare

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
The Restaurant update thread is very informative. thank you for directing me to the page (I admit I get lazy with the search engine for wide subject as it returns so many threads).
I tried those restaurants in the past and was not really impressed (some were ok). I have not tried yet Bliss and Marabu which sound quite interesting after googling them. I will surely go there on my next trip to the beach.

Thanks. Feel free to send more as I am forwarding to all my friends.

A

apostropheman

My personal favorite restaurant in Cabarete is Las Brisas, on the beach. Excellent food, especially seafood. I've had shrimp there a few times and it's wonderful and reasonably priced. The service was above average and the view is great.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We went to the beach at Cabarete yesterday with the sole intention of finding somewhere nice to eat for a real celebratory meal - our first choice, Papi's, was closed so we went to the restaurant nearby where they display the live crayfish in the tank at the front. We waited a little while after we ordered until the food arrived but it didn't matter as we were there on a lazy Sunday jaunt and wanted to toast an 'absent friend' anyhow. The food was very, very good when it arrived - the Surf and Turf consisted of excellent fillet steak, chunk of fresh tuna, 4 small crayfish and 6 huge prawns served with warm, fresh crusty bread and adequate fresh vegetables and salad garnish. Would love to recommend it to everyone but you all know what happens when you do that.... :)

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Now that you mention Papi, what's the deal with the place? Is it only open in the evenings or has it closed permanently? I have never seen it open during the day when I go to the beach with my kids. I only heard good things about it.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Whirleybird,
I think you're referring to Casa del Pescador.

Gamana,
Bliss, Marabu, Embocca (hit & miss), Otra Cosa, Papi's... all have pretty good food. I think Papi's is only open at night. He closes a month or two each year for vacation, but usually in slow season... so I'd think he'd be open now. Casanova in the center of town has a few nice dishes as well. Their shrimp tempura is very good in my opinion.

For good food at a more reasonable price, try Ali's surf camp in ProCab (good ribs, steak, thai curry chicken & more), Bayerischer Hof down the dirt road across from the western entrance to Ocean Dream Plaza, or Locos d'en Frente (steaks & great pork chops) right next to Bliss on the road across from the eastern entrance to Ocean Dream Plaza.

The BIG problem I see in Cabarete is that you can't get a decent meal for less than 600 pesos. Entrees are RD$300-$400 (or much more) and a coca cola or two will run you RD$50-70 each. By the time you add 26% tax & tips... it's 600 pesos & you've had nothing special. If you have a couple of drinks... the price quickly approaches RD$1000 :ermm:.

Perhaps not something tourists mind paying, but speaking for myself and a few friends - we've started taking turns cooking on Friday nights. It's not that the food at the restaurants is bad or the price unattainable, it's just the perceived value doesn't match the price for regular nights out.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are defintely several good restaurants in Cabarete, and many, including Bliss, Loco's de enfrente, Ali's Surf Camp, Seafood World,Cabarete Blu, Lax, etc... don't charge tax or service.

The problem is there are not many restaurants...even the places best known for burgers or Pizza. So if you are here more than a week or two, your options start getting pretty limited.

Papi's is open for lunch...when it's open at all. Unfortunately he seems to take off whenever he wants, and usually closes for all the BIG holidays and events...

Someone mentioned Las Brisas...if it's the one a bit east of Onno's, it's been closed for over 2 years...is there another one?

A

apostropheman

oops :paranoid:,

I ate there, or what i thought was still Las Brisas, in early 2007, April perhaps, although that might explain why it was different than I remembered and why we had Shrimp A La Papi. :D

We had been enjoying beverages on the beach all day and it had been at least a year since the last time I was there so...let me retract the recommendation for LB and second La Casita ;):bunny::bunny:

There are defintely several good restaurants in Cabarete, and many, including Bliss, Loco's de enfrente, Ali's Surf Camp, Seafood World,Cabarete Blu, Lax, etc... don't charge tax or service.

The problem is there are not many restaurants...even the places best known for burgers or Pizza. So if you are here more than a week or two, your options start getting pretty limited.

Papi's is open for lunch...when it's open at all. Unfortunately he seems to take off whenever he wants, and usually closes for all the BIG holidays and events...

Someone mentioned Las Brisas...if it's the one a bit east of Onno's, it's been closed for over 2 years...is there another one?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirleybird,
I think you're referring to Casa del Pescador. QUOTE]

Yes am sure now you are right - am not good at remembering names but I do try to remember what I think of the food and the location of the restaurant for future reference.

Agree with everyone about Papi's - excellent food but never sure when it will be open.

abetv6969

Feb 17, 2008
try sosua cause cabrette sucked for the price they charge for food especially a place called osheas if I am spelling that right. I found that places in nearby sousa were a lot better now if someone could tell me of a good hotel with pool to stay at sousa

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
try sosua cause cabrette sucked for the price they charge for food especially a place called osheas if I am spelling that right. I found that places in nearby sousa were a lot better now if someone could tell me of a good hotel with pool to stay at sousa
There are lots.
Depends on what you need.
There's Casa Valeria, New Garden, Casa Cayena and the Waterfront, (All on Dr. Rosen) that all have pools and different amenities and prices.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

To say food in Cabarete "sucks" is ludicrous...but if you're the type of person who, after checking the many restaurants available on the beach, chose Jose Oshea's (An Irish-themed sports bar!), it makes sense why you'd make such a comment...

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Don't forget to try Sandro's or Casanova's in Cabarete

Sandro's Cafeteria on the main road (opposite the beach) is a great place for authentic Dominican food. You can get a bandera (meat, rice, beans, salad for 100 pesos, and it's delicious.

Casanova's used to be one of my favorite restaurants, but they've recently upped their prices, and the food is hit or miss...

Someone else mentioned Celina's...opposite Pomodor's - also serves great, authentic Dominican food - for a bit more than Sandro's..but it's right on the beach...