Local prepaid cell service

cnj-guy

Feb 18, 2008
There seems to be alot of questions about the best way to get cell service between DR and the US. I already have an unlocked GSM cell phone.

Can I just purchase a SIM card from a local Cellular provider with prepaid minutes?

If so, will I be able to call the US and receive calls from the US with this SIM card?

The main use will be for communicating with folks back home in the US, not calling local numbers while I'm in DR. I'm just looking for the most economical way.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There seems to be alot of questions about the best way to get cell service between DR and the US. I already have an unlocked GSM cell phone.

Can I just purchase a SIM card from a local Cellular provider with prepaid minutes?

If so, will I be able to call the US and receive calls from the US with this SIM card?

The main use will be for communicating with folks back home in the US, not calling local numbers while I'm in DR. I'm just looking for the most economical way.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before.

You've got it! Having an unlocked phone is the way to go for sure. Your incoming calls will be free but check there rates for LD, I suspect they are high.
Perhaps you could set up an arrangement to text your folks back home when it is a good time for them to call you too as the rates from NA are generally a lot less.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hey guy, this is the route to go... Drop into Verizon, Codetel or what ever their going by these day's and buy a phone for 695 Pesos inc a 100 pesos card, and just throw the sucker away after that.
Can't go wrong for that price my friend, you'll pay for it on you're first call :)

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Drop into Verizon, Codetel or what ever their going by these day's and buy a phone for 695 Pesos inc a 100 pesos card

Gringo,

what make/model of phone you would get for 695 pesos?
or is that just for the sim?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
SIM is around RD$300 if I recall correctly.

Not sure why one would buy a cheap phone if their own is unlocked though?

cnj-guy

Feb 18, 2008
Just so I understand things correctly. In coming calls from the US will be free, but there probably will be long distance charges on the US side. Calls from the DR to the US will just use the minutes prepaid for. How does SMS text messaging work with an unlocked phone with a local prepaid SIM? The phone will primarily be used to communicate with our kids that we are leaving back home with family, so text messaging would really work too. Since I will be paying the bill from both the US side and the DR side I'm really trying to make sure I avoid outragous phone bills when I get back home.

Feb 7, 2007
1) Your incoming calls on your local DR number are free for you

2) The calling party in the USA/elsewhere would pay their regular long distance charge to call DR-cellular, depending on their LD plan/LD carrier/prepaid card they are using. The average cost would be abut US$0.3 per minute

3) Your cost to call the USA would be the same as to call a local number or cell number in the DR. Rates to the USA are same as local calls rates. Your rate would be around 10 RD pesos per minute, or around US$0.30 per min.
Billing is usually per second, so you pay a fraction of per min cost. Your calling charges will be deducted from your prepaid balance.

Feb 7, 2007
I have Corporate Orange plan where I get SUPER DIRTY CHEAP calling.

BUT If you want a prepaid card, I strongly recommend you a different company, though. It's VIVA. For 100 pesos (US$3) you get free activation and the money is put into your calling credit. They also unblock your GSM phone for free with new activation. 1 minute to the US/Canada/Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic is only RD$5.38 with taxes included, the 100 pesos initial credit will give you 18.5 minutes of calltime. Billing is by second. The recharge cards are quite HARDER to come by than Orange or Claro, but your calltime is 50% cheaper. AND, you can recharge VIVA by calling customer service and recharge using your credit card.