Why are Dominicans cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third_World

Feb 19, 2008
I am not a Dominican but live around them.
I noticed people that come from Dominican republic and live here seem cold and a bit hostile and wanted to know why?
Specifically in New York.
Dominicans don't speak to Americans, they stay to themselves and never speak English. And when I did try to make conversation with one in the store all the other Dominicans look at me as if I had done something wrong.
And it seems that they don't want to embrace our culture but want to live here. or want to colonize.
They watch everything in Spanish on TV.
They raise their flags everywhere here and never recognize the American flag of the country they live, breathe, sleep, and eat.
I understand its their culture but its less than 1% I see them embrace the American culture.

But when I vist their country Dominican Republic. I embrace everything about their culture. I learn the language, watch spanish tv, embrace the flag and culture and speak with non Americans.

Why come to the U.S and be hostile?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
They do not move to the US because they want to embrace the culture there, they move there to earn enough money to assure them a better future.
They certainly are not cold.
In fact, they are very passionate and hot blooded people.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
May be they don't like your culture, people embrace a new culture if it is better than theirs.... !?

(Not trying to stir things up but just a thought.)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Cuanta porqueria......

I noticed people that come from Dominican republic and live here seem cold and a bit hostile and wanted to know why?
Dominicans don't speak to Americans, they stay to themselves and never speak English. And when I did try to make conversation with one in the store all the other Dominicans look at me as if I had done something wrong.
And it seems that they don't want to embrace our culture but want to live here. or want to colonize.
They raise their flags everywhere here and never recognize the American flag of the country they live, breathe, sleep, and eat.
I understand its their culture but its less than 1% I see them embrace the American culture.

But when I vist their country Dominican Republic. I embrace everything about their culture. I learn the language, watch spanish tv, embrace the flag and culture and speak with non Americans.

Jesus Christ!!!. Just came here to read and I had to read all these generalization nonsense!!.

1- I am not cold,
2- I am not hostile,
3- I speak to Americans,
4- I don't stay to myself,
5- I always speak English,
6- I don't look bad a people when they try to talk to me,
7- I embraced the US's culture, I even consider myself more American than Dominican,
8- I don't watch Spanish television,
9- I don't raise the Dominican flag, I do have a little American in my car (after 9/11)

Now, since you have the cojones to generalize, that means you know every single Dominican living in the US.

OOOOOOOOPS, I guess you missed ME!. (And a few others here).

WHERE IN HELL DO THEY FIND THESE PEOPLE!!!!.

(R AND O!!).

Third_World

Feb 19, 2008
May be they don't like your culture, people embrace a new culture if it is better than theirs.... !?

(Not trying to stir things up but just a thought.)

This is exactly what I mean. Why move to a country? If you don't like their culture. A culture its part of that countries bloodline and people.
Its really being hostile, and wanted to suck up the countries resources like people are saying just there for money and nothing else.
Us Americans don't do that to your country. We don't go around being hostile and posting our flag everywhere. If we did you would be upset.
My point exactly

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
This is exactly what I mean. Why move to a country? If you don't like their culture. A culture its part of that countries bloodline and people.
Its really being hostile, and wanted to suck up the countries resources like people are saying just there for money and nothing else.
Us Americans don't do that to your country. We don't go around being hostile and posting our flag everywhere. If we did you would be upset.
My point exactly

Of course everyone that moves to the DR comes with the best of intentions. No one starts up a business to make themselves rich the easiest way possible, no one has people working for them for a measly US$150/month and everyone embraces the Dominican culture and only does what's best for the country. Right....

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Keep in mind that the majority of the people that move from the US to the DR, or another foreign country do it only because they *want* to, while many Dominicans and other foreigners move to the US because they feel they *need* to. To many peorpl, especially from 3rd world or otherwise impovershed/dangerous countries, there is a sense of no future for themselves or families.

That being the case, they may not be all that willing to completely embrace the culture and ways of their new country. I'm not saying it's right...at all. I think at the very least they should make an effort to learn the language, and many do not...

...but just making an observation...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Keep in mind that the majority of the people that move from the US to the DR, or another foreign country do it only because they *want* to, while many Dominicans and other foreigners move to the US because they feel they *need* to. To many peorpl, especially from 3rd world or otherwise impovershed/dangerous countries, there is a sense of no future for themselves or families.

That being the case, they may not be all that willing to completely embrace the culture and ways of their new country. I'm not saying it's right...at all. I think at the very least they should make an effort to learn the language, and many do not...

...but just making an observation...
But you have to forgive the retirees for not learning the lingo.
It's near impossible to learn a new language when you're over 50.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dominicans are not cold, on the contrary they are a very friendly and warm people. Don't take the look they have on their face as indicative of their mood. If you say good afternoon, they will answer right back, "good afternoon".

As far as NYC goes, it can be more complicated. #1, most Domincans think Americans are cold, and therefore may try to avoid them. Add on top of this the world famous(or infamous) NYC inhospitality and general disdain for friendliness and you can see why they might have this feeling. However, if you speak the language fluently enough to be able to communicate with the first generation immigrants, they would for sure recieve you better. #2, as far as their love of their country, I think a lot has to do with the hostile environment that NYC is compared to the DR, ie Dominicans are a very open and friendly people, so if NY'ers don't value this as they do they will just stick to themselves for the most part and dream of a sunnier friendlier place.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
My point exactly

I think DavidZ made a good point about "Want" and "Need". It all depends of course. I doubt many immigrant really sucking up too much resources, most are working hard on a very little wage - don't believe everything you read in the paper.

Although I don't want to mention Americans embracing a lot of culture in Iraq and Afganistan (and a lot of other countries), waving US flags, and shooting everything on sight...... !? (that's how they do it for "Need" !!!!?) :pirate:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
But you have to forgive the retirees for not learning the lingo.
It's near impossible to learn a new language when you're over 50.

It's difficult for sure...actually pretty difficult for anyone past their teen years, but even older people should at least try to get down some basic words and phrases. I know many "seniors" who turned on a computer for the first time at age 65+ and are now proficient...because they *wanted* to...had to see the new pics of the grandkids and print out the coupons for Red Lobster, you know...

melchan

Apr 4, 2007
in regard tot he very first post.
I am american and I was married to a dominican who came to this country when he was 16 years old....he came alone. He had to live with distantly related cousins and work, they did not allow him tot attend school. he had to work in a bodega in the bronx to help pay the rent. All the while his mother back home in DR was in near poverty, so he took extra jobs in order to send all he could back to her so she could survive....

My point it is many dominicans, especially ones that just arrived have very serious issues going on back home. Especially if they happen to be only one from their family to make it to the USA..THey are supporting parents, children and sometimes even a whole street.

So Many dominicans that immigrate to USA have issues that the AVERAGE american will never face.........So dont just look at a dominican who is serious and say that he/ she has a bad attitude.

Maybe you should ask them about home (many are homesick) get to know a dominican and dont be an arrogant american with your views.

Thanks.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

The OP lives in a cave. There are 9 million Dominicans in the DR, about 1.5 million in the US and about 500,000 in Europe and elsewhere and so you've had a couple of run ins with some grouchy Dominicans the whole culture is that way? As for the whole NY thing, most people, no matter where they are from are grouchy when they are in NY. NY is a grouchy city...(I'm from Boston...this is my time to jab at NY jajajajajja :cheeky:) it's a product of big city living and we all know that big city attitudes are different.

Your assumption that Dominicans don't speak English or don't engage with Americans does have some merit, but I caution your generalization. You must consider why. Most immigrants tend to go to areas with members of their communities as it helps in the transition to the US culture. But at the same time Americans do the same when they go abroad. Ever been to Florence, Italy or Paris or even here in the DR? Americans do the same across the world and are a bit more obnoxious about it. More so than any country Americans tend to demand "Americanisms" when they are abroad.

Also, as for the language thing English, unless you are a native speaker, is a very difficult language to learn, so it makes sense why many people don't learn it or have a tough time learning it. It's the same as learning Arabic or Mandarin, which I have tried. I tried to learn Guarani one time and couldn't do so. It didn't mean I didn't integrate with Paraguayans, it just meant Guarani was tough.

As for the TV thing, would you watch a Chinese soap opera? Or a Greek talk show? Or how about a German political debate? So why would Dominicans watch Jay Leno or Conan?

As for embracing American culture, can you define American culture? What is in fact the culture you would like Dominicans to embrace? Remember, NY is an immigrant city with an immigrant past. Cultural enclaves are part of NY culture, keep that in mind.

You ever lived in a country not your own, where you are the ultimate outsider? Try it some day and you'll answer all your questions. I've done it 3 or four times. I've lived in a couple different places and at the end of the day I end up raising my American and Dominican flags...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Dominicans are not cold, on the contrary they are a very friendly and warm people. Don't take the look they have on their face as indicative of their mood. If you say good afternoon, they will answer right back, "good afternoon".

As far as NYC goes, it can be more complicated. #1, most Domincans think Americans are cold, and therefore may try to avoid them. Add on top of this the world famous(or infamous) NYC inhospitality and general disdain for friendliness and you can see why they might have this feeling. However, if you speak the language fluently enough to be able to communicate with the first generation immigrants, they would for sure recieve you better. #2, as far as their love of their country, I think a lot has to do with the hostile environment that NYC is compared to the DR, ie Dominicans are a very open and friendly people, so if NY'ers don't value this as they do they will just stick to themselves for the most part and dream of a sunnier friendlier place.

Hey Chip,

Excellent points. I live in NYC and I can say your observations are absolutely correct. You actually made your points without being insulting to us New Yorkers...then again I wouldn't argue with a guy who bench presses 285...:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Let me add something else...it could very well be that some dominicans are shocked at the reality of living here, that the streets are indeed not paved with gold like they were told and that for a large majority of them it winds up being a very rude and severe wake-up call-many hours of work at dead-end jobs, substandard living conditions and the pressure to have to send buckets of money back home.

jt76

Jan 23, 2002
let me get this straight....

You are complaining because total strangers don't drop what they're doing to strike up a conversation with a total stranger in NY? How many total strangers talk to you while you wait around minding your own business?
I think that just like everyone here has written you should not be so judgemental. Remember that just like you try to learn the spanish language, learn our Dominican customs and embrace our ways, there is some Dominican like myself doing the same in the US wondering "why is everybody so grumpy all the time?"

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey Chip,

Let me add something else...it could very well be that some dominicans are shocked at the reality of living here, that the streets are indeed not paved with gold like they were told and that for a large majority of them it winds up being a very rude and severe wake-up call-many hours of work at dead-end jobs, substandard living conditions and the pressure to have to send buckets of money back home.

This is very true as well, yet many won't return to the island because they have parents, etc. depending on them or they feel like if they return willingly without a lot of money to start a business here they will be forever labled as "un estupido" or "pariguayo". I actually feel sorry for this situation that many put themselves in. My wife's nephew left a promising career in medecine to be a stockboy in some bodega making US500 a week. I told him not to overstay his 6 mo. student visa or he would more than likely never be permitted to return to the US but it seems it went in one ear and out the other because he told me a couple of months back that he would like to return to the DR and continue studying and then return to the States to work. The beliefs Dominicans have about the "NYC dream" are strongly rooted and any opposing opinions (even Americans) about it's validity are ignored almost with arrogance at times.

domicanita

Mar 7, 2007
Este no sabe de lo que esta hablando

You shouldn't go around making generalization of people. It just shows how little you know about them. The fact that you say that dominicans are cold is one of the most ignorant comment you can make. We by nature are very warm people, that is part of being from latin america. Just because you run into a few unpleasent people that does not mean that they represent all dominicans.

On the contrary most americans are percieved as being cold. They seem to Always be protecting their personal space. Eventhough this is true for a lot of americans it is not true for all. I am a dominican married and surround by americans and I can tell you that there are a lot of americans who are very warm and very friendly.

So next time you make another dumb statement like that"dominicans are cold", make sure that you have really truly experienced the culture.

You can accused dominicans of a lot of things but of being cold is not one them. Don't try to take away the one nice thing that come naturaly to us . PLEASE

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I am not sure about Dominicans, but a lot of immigrants experience kind of a shock when they first arrive. It seems that everyone notices their lack of English skills and looks down at them. So, you sort of stop talking to people because you just don't feel comfortable, and not because you don't like them or think they cannot be your friends. I like talking to immigrants because we had similar experiences. I guess we have something in common.

happyteacher

Jan 7, 2008
I live in Wisconsin and know many Dominicans here. They are kind people and very warm and most of all generous with everything they have. All that my Dominican friends have is always welcome to me and sometimes they don't even have a lot to give and they are still giving. Many of them have learned English by asking me for help, however they don't always speak it....that is also their right though...isn't the United States the "melting pot"? Shouldn't we accept all languages and cultures. One thing to keep in mind is the atmosphere you are in. Wisconsin, I feel is a welcoming place where the people here are generally friendly...I have been to NY on many occasions and frankly (sorry to generalize) but as an Amercian hated it because I felt the New Yorkers are generally "cold" people. I don't want to be judged because I am an American, as I am sure Dominicans don't want to be judged because they are Dominican....let's be real our blood is red and our bones are all white...we are all just people, some good some bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.