American Minor Travel

melchan

Apr 4, 2007
Hi,

My son is 8 years old and I take him to DR to visit with abuela every summer.
He stays for 2 months while I return to USA.

Does anyone know whats needed for him to travel back to the USA with another adult, an adult that is not a parent.

Thanks.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
momentarily...

I am looking into this exact thing as i write!!! My son will be flying back to the states with my dad & returning with my sis. I'm awaiting the info on which airline to call & will let you know what I learn.

d

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As far as I remember you need a document produced by a lawyer, signed by parent and legalised in the Capital. We have to do this each time my step children travel with us overseas.

melchan

Apr 4, 2007
well i live in washington DC, we have a Dominiacn Consulate so I'm sure I can just go there and get a letter.
However my son will probably travel back with a non-relative and I'm wondering if I have to get the letter before he goes down or can i get the letter while he's already in DR and I 'm in the states and just give it the person I have bring him back to USA.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Definitely.

Do me a favor and send me a PM. I'll give you my daughter's email so you can talk to her. We have done this with grandchildren, and it can get complicated.
You do need to prepare.

In the States nobody asked for anything, but leaving the DR we were.

TTYL?

HB

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I think it might vary from airline to airline, but when I looked into it a couple years ago.. American Airlines required the least paperwork. I would call each airline.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
You'll need to prepare some paperwork when a minor is leaving the DR without his/her parents.
My daughter went from DR to Canada and back recently, here is what we had to do:

- letter signed by mother and father, autorizing that the child can travel alone / with somebody else, notarized by a Dominican notary.

- original passport plus 2 copies of the minor and the person traveling with the child

- birth certificate, legalized not older than 1 year

- 2 photos 2x2 of the child

- Visa or residencia or tourist card of the minor and the person traveling with the child.

- Copy of cedula or passport of the parents who signed the autorization letter.

All the paperwork (plus 2 Copies of everything) has to be legalized by the 'Procuradura General':
procuradur?a general de la Rep. Dom. Para la zona Norte y santiago, palacio de los deportes en la 4ta. Plta.

Then is has to go to Emmigration where you also have to buy the stamps:
-un (1) RD$20.00 serie migraci?n
-un (1) RD$10.00 serie migraci?n
-tres (3) RD$1.00 serie migraci?n

Office of Emigration in Santiago:
Av. 27 de febrero Esq. Texas Centro comercial Los jardines 2do. Modulo. Santiago de los Caballeros.

------------------------------------
Make sure you have all the above, as Domincan Emigration will not let the child leave the country if paperwork not complete.
Airlines will give you the info what they require to let the child in the plane (name of person travelling with the child, etc. ) but they might not be aware of the latest legal requirements of the Dominican Emigration.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If I remember correctly, yu also had to specify all of the flight details.
Flt #, date, time. Plus all of the vitals of the person accompanying the youngster, plus photocopies of docs.

Like I said, it can get complicated..

HB

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
correct, forgot to mention that earlier.
Flight no, time, date and all details of the person accompanying the child (or of the person picking the child up in case he /she travels alone) has to be in the letter of authorization.

Again, the airlines also request all the info, but the paperwork for the Dominican Emigration has to be done additional to the paperwork the airline requests.

A bit complicated, but doable if you know what, where and how to do it.

dominicanpapi

Dec 9, 2003
I had my daugther travel with my mother to DR and than back to the states. All I had to do was go to the dominican consulate here in lawrence with 2 pictures of the child and they give you a document. I Can't remenber what the name of the document is but they will tell you what is it that you need.
The cost was not that much either.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The paperwork is less for a foreign child. Giving yourself three working days for depositing the paperwork in Migracion, avoiding the VIP charge, also provides for savings.