Where are some good Dominican Barbershops in Santo Domingo that Dominican men go to?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Where are some good Dominican Barbershops in Santo Domingo that Dominican men go to? And where are some good, modern laundromats?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Man, there must be thousands of barbershops in SD. As far as laundromats, I literally think I have never seen one in the country. It is easy to ask a nice lady to do your clothes for a smal price, and she may even cut hair!

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
There's a small laundromat in the Zona Colonial on Arzobispo Portes, almost at the corner with Palo Hincado.
There are many many barbershops everywhere.

J

John Evans

dont let them use a blow drier on you ....i,m sure they are actually paint strippers ...the heat that they generate!

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I have never seen a NA style laudromat in the DR either. But lavanderias are everywhere. They wash your clothes for you, by hand or in a machine. It is cheaper than washing your own clothes in a laudromat in NA.

I'm sorry I can't recommend any in SD though.

Good luck ; )

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Where are some good Dominican Barbershops in Santo Domingo that Dominican men go to? And where are some good, modern laundromats?

Re barbershop - try "Nolasko" in Plaza Central, on the second floor at the back, opposite the entrance from the multistorey car park. Telephone 809 412 0450

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Barbershops, everywhere all are pretty descent.

Laundry, well in CZ there a small place that we do your laundry located on
Arz. portes.

I paid 292 pesos for two loads. They seperate and fold.

Drop off in the morning pick up in the afternoon its pretty convient for me.

Feb 7, 2007
There is a really nice barber shop on Ave Pasteur, just before getting to Santiago St., on your left side, in a plaza there. I use it if I am in Santo Domingo and need to use a barber.

It is an upscale barbershop, really good people, you can buy liquor drinks beer etc while you wait, fully air conditioned, very good care. Go in the mornings to avoid waits.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Besides the small laundromat mentioned, there is a much bigger one just off of Ave. Churchill on Jose Contreras. The best way to explain getting there would be - if you're traveling south on Churchill from Ave. 27 you would make a right on Jose Conteras. This street is located a block from the entrance of the Mirador del Sur Park and you will see a large restaurant/comedor on the corner. I believe there's a bank on the other corner as well. Once you make a right, about two blocks down on the left hand side of the street is a laundromat. This one is much larger with some 10 washer machines and dryers to match. Hope this helps.

Every guy will have his barber of choice because you just kinda get one and stick with him. I regularly go to a barber in the Zona Colonial on the corner of Arzobispo Nouel and Jose Reyes. Just a straight up barber with Dominican men talking sports and politics; the way a barber shop should be.

A

apostropheman

I'm curious what the normal charge is for a haircut in in a Dominican barbershop. Also is a tip expected and how much?

In Sosua I pay 100 pesos which seems to be standard for Dominicans and gringos, same is a barrio to the south. This generally includes trimming a bit of facial hair as well although I have occasionally been charged a bit extra for that depending on the barber.

My Dominican friends say no tip and they definitely do not tip.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I get charged RD$150 at my place for a normal cut. I always give a RD$50 tip.

The daily cost of living in Santo Domingo can be very expensive, so it's nice to know that my haircut is still cheap.

J

John Evans

i got charged rd$400 in Sosua by someone who shall remain nameless (coz we cant name and shame)because he thought i was a tourist....not a good idea if he wants return business- theres not alot you can do when you have already had the bloomin haircut- I will ask first next time.

A

apostropheman

That seems quite reasonable to me.

I paid $140 pesos in Bani but the barber did a lot of extra detail work and trimmed my goatee...so I tipped $60 rounding it too $200 total.

looks like there are some financial advantages to being in smaller towns as opposed to the BIG city. :D
I get charged RD$150 at my place for a normal cut. I always give a RD$50 tip.

The daily cost of living in Santo Domingo can be very expensive, so it's nice to know that my haircut is still cheap.

A

apostropheman

I always try to know the price of things, and services, in advance. It tends to eliminate most of the obvious price gouging and you can always leave if they insist on trying to inflate the price.
i got charged rd$400 in Sosua by someone who shall remain nameless (coz we cant name and shame)because he thought i was a tourist....not a good idea if he wants return business- theres not alot you can do when you have already had the bloomin haircut- I will ask first next time.

J

John Evans

I thought I was fairly safe with a haircut-I expected to pay more errrrr but not quite that much....thank you Pedro (am I safe with that name lol it could be a few people)

Feb 7, 2007
Here in Higuey the haircut is 80 pesos and shaving 70 pesos, in one of the better places. I always top to 100 and when I do the two, to 200.

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007

I paid 200 in Sosua but the guy nicked my ear and it was more like a sheep shearing than a haircut:surprised:surprised

Good thing I'm already halfway bald but I would have gladly paid extra for the no blood option.

J

John Evans

i must say i was offered a tub of something( not sure if it was ky or styling gel) - perhaps he felt guilty as i left telling him I lived here