Applying for American visa

angel_monson

Feb 20, 2008
This is my first post, so please bear with me...

My girlfriend wants to apply for an American visa this year. She has already applied once, but was rejected.
What tips/suggestions can you give me that will help her with this? Marriage is out of the question for now.

She's an engineer, and she studied at one of the best colleges in the DR. She also has a good job. She lives with her parents, but she built and paid for the house. And she has a recently-acquired vehicle. Can any of these things help her?
The house is in her parents' name. Would putting the house under her name help her? Would the vehicle purchase help? How much $$$ should she save?

On my side, I'm also an engineer and I have a small business. Is there any way this could be used in our advantage?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is she trying for a visitor visa?

It comes down to this, you can have a long list of everything immigration requires but unless she can convince immigration that she will return to the DR after the visa expires she will not get one.

angel_monson

Feb 20, 2008
I'm talking about the visa needed to visit the US. I'm not sure if that's the visitor visa.

Basically, I want her to visit the US for a few days. She can visit me here instead of me having to travel to the DR all the time. But she doesn't want to stay in the US. She loves the island (and the Aguilas) too much, and after they rejected her first application (after saving almost $10k, filling out all types of applications, taking days off for this), she's not too interested in living in the US. I don't blame her. Besides, who would want to leave with all the nature, beaches, sunshine, and beer?

So how can she convince them? I told her to tell immigration that she was going for a one-week work training. She didn't do it, but would that have worked?

Are there "correct" answers to the questions they ask?

Are there any other posts that have discussed this?

Thanks.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So how can she convince them? I told her to tell immigration that she was going for a one-week work training. She didn't do it, but would that have worked?

Thanks.

If she was taking a week's training she would have to have a receipt from the school or wherever she was taking this training from.

These people have heard it all so making stuff up is worse in the long run
so I wouldn't suggest it.

Not sure if you've read the website Step 1:* Learn More About U.S. Nonimmigrant Visas

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Visitor's visas are NOT VERY easy to come by...MOST people get rejected...ESPECIALLY if they know she has a boyfriend in the US...

They might take this as her way of getting to the country and STAYING here...

Are you in a very committed relationship? Would you be willing to apply for a Fiance Visa or K-1?

If you two can prove that you have an ongoing relationship, with lots of proof, she might be able to be approved for this type of visa...

Once she's here though, you MUST get married within 90 days of entry, in order for her to be able to stay...if not, then she HAS to go back or will be deported...

Visit Dominicans to the USA - Index for more answers to your questions...

It's the best site for Dominican-Immigration related questions in the world!!!

Good luck!!!

MQ

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I know of one person that got a visa to the states after being rejected. Since she already had the passport she went with her boyfriend on 2 vacations in countries that no visa was needed. She came back both times and went right back to work keeping all her pay receipts. It took a year and a half but she got the visa. A few stamps in the passport might help.