DR1ers in Greater Boston

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Hello, all

I am a 24-year-old Dominican who moved to the U.S. about ten months ago and in the past two months or so I have started to experience homesickness (as it relates to the lack of a social circle in a new country). I would really like to make new friends, so I was thinking that if there are some members of this forum who live in Greater Boston, where I live, I would like to meet them.

I am not your typical Dominican, and that's a pity. I don't dance at all, for instance. But I am willling to learn. A lot of things have happened to me in the last two years and I would like to change my life for good. So if there is anyone in the Greater Boston area who would like to make friends, please contact me.

Best...

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Homesick

I know the feeling very well. Not exact situation but same feelings.

I'm not in or near Boston (Canadian in New York) but if you ever want to email just pm me.

Laura

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Dude, where in Beantown?...I hung out in Lawrence a bit. Let me know if you are trying to hang with other Dominicans or just cool people. I'm in the DR right now, but the Bean has some cool places, a lot of bars and a lot of college students. I can try to point you in the right direction. Where you originally from?

As for the typical Dominican thing, no Dominican is typical. I'm not typical...That's what makes being Dominicans cool...be proud of your differences...

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Thanks for your replies guys.

Regarding the typical Dominicana, I'm going to have to say there is such thing. Foreigners expect Dominican males to be great dancers, have a lively spirit, be pathologically womanizing and talk loud, among other things. Not this baby...

What makes my boredom worse is the fact that I still don't have a car, and you know how much the MBTA sucks, particularly if you don't live in Boston proper, as I do.

I was born in Santo Domingo (as in the capital city) and lived there my entire life. Please do suggest some places I can visit, or if you have friends you can connect me to, that would be great.

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Don't feel bad, as you are not alone: I've been told I'm a weird Dominican. Heard it so much, that I now believe it. It's liberating. It's frickin' cool! Embrace it.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I hear ya OP. After growing up in SD you must be going crazy being stuck in the burbs. I was going to suggest Vincents in Randolph on Friday nights Vincent's Night Club No need to be a great dancer. Many there just trying to learn and have fun.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Beantown where?

Regarding the typical Dominicana, I'm going to have to say there is such thing. Foreigners expect Dominican males to be great dancers, have a lively spirit, be pathologically womanizing and talk loud, among other things. Not this baby...

Those are just stereotypes. Trust me, I know.

Anyway where in Boston are you exactly? Southie, North End, Back Bay, the Charles? or are you on the outskirts? You gotta let us know where you are and what your interests so we can help out. You could aways do a place like Sophia's or maybe chill down at Quincy Market for the day, take a walk around. I mean this all depends on location and interest dude, and whether you are adventurous...

peace

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
You could try re-posting this in the Dominicans Abroad forum at the top of the main page, you might get a few more answers as well. There was an old thread regarding Dominicans in boston from 2006 that you might want to read as well.

I do have to ask this though, if you are male would you not describe yourself as a Dominicano, or do I have this all wrong !:ermm: Just wondering.

Marlie

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
You could try re-posting this in the Dominicans Abroad forum at the top of the main page, you might get a few more answers as well. There was an old thread regarding Dominicans in boston from 2006 that you might want to read as well.

I do have to ask this though, if you are male would you not describe yourself as a Dominicano, or do I have this all wrong !:ermm: Just wondering.

Marlie

Yes, of course. It was a typo when I wrote 'dominicano'. And I wasn't necessarily looking for Dominicans. That's why I didn't know where to post this. I'm up to meeting gringos who have a passion for my country too.

swanjoana

Mar 9, 2009
You need to get out of Boston and move to New York. ...Washington Heights aka Dominican Land will welcome you with open arms !!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Hello, all

I am a 24-year-old Dominican who moved to the U.S. about ten months ago and in the past two months or so I have started to experience homesickness (as it relates to the lack of a social circle in a new country). I would really like to make new friends, so I was thinking that if there are some members of this forum who live in Greater Boston, where I live, I would like to meet them.

I am not your typical Dominican, and that's a pity. I don't dance at all, for instance. But I am willling to learn. A lot of things have happened to me in the last two years and I would like to change my life for good. So if there is anyone in the Greater Boston area who would like to make friends, please contact me.

Best...

Why did you moved to Boston? Job? School?

Do you have family there?

If it was for a job you can start befriending your coworkers.
If it was for school it will be much easier to find friends.

If you have family there in Boston they can introduce you to others people, because unfortunately the U.S. is country where it's hard to make friends, everybody it too busy working or depress about something (winter).

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Where did you learn to speak English? The way you make sentences and express your self Looks like if you've been living longer than ten months in the US.
I've been living here same time but in a different state maibe we can share experience of our new life.

JJ

?

? bient?t

Where did you learn to speak English? The way you make sentences and express your self Looks like if you've been living longer than ten months in the US.I've been living here same time but in a different state maibe we can share experience of our new life.

JJ

Wow! Where's PIB when you need her?!

bachata: long-time resident, first-time observer or, as they say in Appalachia: first-time pay-attentioner.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Wow! Where's PIB when you need her?!

bachata: long-time resident, first-time observer or, as they say in Appalachia: first-time pay-attentioner.

I don?t understand what you mean; can you explain this for me please in a fifth grade elementary school student English?

JJ

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Sorry for the tardiness in replying, guys. Regarding my English-speaking skills, I had already learned English while living in the DR. Of course, the proficiency you can attain while living in a country where there aren't many opportunities to practice the target language may be limited. But we're all good at something in life, and I like to think that learning foreign languages is something at which I'm talented.

Where do you live, bachata? In Mass.?

@swanjoana: I know about Washington Heights. It's not like I'm terribly missing the Dominican Republic, though. I don't think that most Dominican-Yorkers' behavior is representative of the acceptable rules of conduct in the DR. So in that sense I don't think I would enjoy NYC too much in terms of the high number of Dominicans to be found there. You experience a strange cultural shock when meeting fellow Dominicans in New York (and it's not only explained by the economic marginalization that some experience there)

@Ezequiel: I moved to the States, as most people do, in search for better economic opportunities. I'm in grad school here, but it's not like I have to return to the DR once I'm done with my studies. It's not necessarily easier to make friends at school. Mine is very international, and there are people from different cultures there with whom I don't match. But yeah, I've made my fair share of friends. It is more difficult to make friends in northern countries. People are by nature more distrustful of strangers and people care more about their own issues. In the case of Americans, I find that there is a particular shallowness that makes me raise doubt about the strength of interpersonal relationships with some people here.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I live in Raleigh NC. The Dominican population here is very small, we are only 390 Dominicans living in < Wake County > but 90,000. Mexicans living in the same area so Hispanic population is high.
I can see that you are a smart guy and at that age 24 years old you?ll have opportunity to make a career, I hope you focus your mind in the good customs of this country no like most the Dominicans do when they move to NY.
This is my personal Email rojastrans@hotmail.com

Regards

JJ

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I experienced the same thing when I was in Las Vegas, which I'm coming back, but neddless to say a couple of trips to NY won't do any harms to your well being, although some Dominicans in NY behave in a certain embarrassing form, it does not negate the feeling when you walk out and get an Habichuelas con Dulce in one corner, a Chimi in the other corner, may be able to talk Dominicans interested topics with almost anybody in the street, not to mention the nightclubs or bars, you will feel you are at home.

In Vegas I only met like 4 Dominicans, one of them was my barber, the 99% of the Spanish speaking population there are Mexicans so you can understand how I felt in regards to being melancholy. I found that the trip I made to NY relieved a lot of those stress and I was able to come back to Vegas and mind my business whitout being a depressed wreck.

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
A few ideas

You mentioned no car and you take the T. Here are a few car-less ideas. For a taste of home, take the Orange Line to Green Street; walk two blocks to 3371 Washington Street "El Embajador Restaurant". Lunch specials are very reasonable. Afterwards, you can take the Orange Line to Jackson Square; walk a few steps up Centre Street where you'll find numerous Dominican owned and run stores and shops. Franklin CD's for all the music from home as well as tickets to area shows. Crystal Fruit for some produce from home. As wells as barber shops, clothing stores and more restaurants. On the other end of the T, take the Blue Line to Wonderland March 27th to see Anthony Santos and Luis Miguel del Amargue. Buy your ticket at Franklin CD soon or they'll be sold out. If none of that floats your boat, venture out to Lawrence on the commuter rail. There, you'll find several Dominican restaurants and clubs clustered around Essex Street and Common Street in the Downtown. Plenty of Dominicans in and around Boston, no need to go to Washington Heights. (although, I DO enjoy me visits there) (just like La Capital, only with taller buildings). Hope this helps.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
There are some great latino spots in boston. THe paradise used have a great latino night every monday. Dont have to be a hip dominicano to have fun and dont have to be a great dancer.

Most places are "latino" not specificaly dominican. Sounds like you might like them.

Where are you in boston? Jamaica Plain and Cambridge and Chelsea and Eastie all had thriving latino populations when I lived there (many years ago).

Yeah...Boston Sucks without a car as the T closes early and it gets kinda scarey after rush hour.

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Thanks for your insightful replies, guys. I actually live in Somerville, and I go often to Cambridge to this place called Ryles. It's a very nice dance hall. I guess once I get my car I will go more often to Boston (or I'll actually move there)

Saludos