I was ALMOST in a Traffic accident today!!!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
So here's the story, I was heading back from a big family outing from Playa Dorada to Bonao. We had huge pot of Pollo con Moro, Beers, Brugal, you know the typical Chopo Picnic, hahahaha. We stopped on the highway back to a restaurant across from Parada Maimon, great fish, I had shrimps with a type of salsa sauce, Deeeeliciousss. Anyway we had about 5 car and jeep loads with us, and it was PITCH BLACK outside and everybody was drinking.

Anyway, I was riding shotgun in my friends jeepeta and I guess he was a little tipsy:paranoid:. While he was following my other friend down that Dark highway, he kept crossing the double yellow lines, YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!! My other buddy was doing the same thing,

I yell what are you doing, and he said "when you driving these types of roads, you have to "eat" your lines a little bit.":tired: I said what happens, when the other guy coming right at you decide to "eat" his lines to? He got real quiet after a while looking real tired, I said $hyt, I better keep my eye on this guy, because he's making me real nervous. Later the highway opens up at Highway 1(?) or 5(?) and I said good at least we won't get smacked by one those big yellow Caribe Tours buses. (I heard one of them flipped over towards La Vega killing a few people)

So while I was watching him, I saw him close his eyes and drift over two lanes on to the side of the road, I screamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grabbed the wheel, he woke up and swerved back onto the road, OMG!!!! I told him to get the PHuck out, I am driving and we made it back to Santiago.

I tell you guys, you better watch your a$$, driving that highway to Puerto Plata or Sosua at night! Whew, a close one.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Very scary and it happens all the time!!!

Well, actually, it doesn't.... having said that I scared the "s**t" out of myself yesterday when I pulled off our track onto the main road and drove down the 'wrong' side of the road - a first since I have been living here!! What a dipstick - must have still been half asleep as it was early morning.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Well, actually, it doesn't.... having said that I scared the "s**t" out of myself yesterday when I pulled off our track onto the main road and drove down the 'wrong' side of the road - a first since I have been living here!! What a dipstick - must have still been half asleep as it was early morning.
You Brits really need to learn how to drive on the proper side of the road:classic:

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
So here's the story, I was heading back from a big family outing from Playa Dorada to Bonao. We had huge pot of Pollo con Moro, Beers, Brugal, you know the typical Chopo Picnic, hahahaha. We stopped on the highway back to a restaurant across from Parada Maimon, great fish, I had shrimps with a type of salsa sauce, Deeeeliciousss. Anyway we had about 5 car and jeep loads with us, and it was PITCH BLACK outside and everybody was drinking.

Anyway, I was riding shotgun in my friends jeepeta and I guess he was a little tipsy:paranoid:. While he was following my other friend down that Dark highway, he kept crossing the double yellow lines, YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!! My other buddy was doing the same thing,

I yell what are you doing, and he said "when you driving these types of roads, you have to "eat" your lines a little bit.":tired: I said what happens, when the other guy coming right at you decide to "eat" his lines to? He got real quiet after a while looking real tired, I said $hyt, I better keep my eye on this guy, because he's making me real nervous. Later the highway opens up at Highway 1(?) or 5(?) and I said good at least we won't get smacked by one those big yellow Caribe Tours buses. (I heard one of them flipped over towards La Vega killing a few people)

So while I was watching him, I saw him close his eyes and drift over two lanes on to the side of the road, I screamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grabbed the wheel, he woke up and swerved back onto the road, OMG!!!! I told him to get the PHuck out, I am driving and we made it back to Santiago.

I tell you guys, you better watch your a$$, driving that highway to Puerto Plata or Sosua at night! Whew, a close one.

I don't think I would get in a car with you. What's that two in about two days

You really need to start driving yourself thats 1 accident and a close call, all in one trip. Try to be safe.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have no sympathy for drunk drivers, and I don't care whether they drive themselves off the road.

But the sad part is they usually take an innocent victim/s along with them.

This is one dominican pastime that needs to be altered, especially at night on dangerous roads.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Almost?? I almost get in to accident every time I drive in the D.R. most Dominicans should never get behind the wheel. They have no respect for the law or even common courtesy, let alone no how to drive:ermm:. The largest vehicle always has the right of way and if you are non Dominican you are always at fault.
As far as driving at night....???? are you crazy? Unless it,s an emergency, keep it at a minimum. Motor bikes with no lights, cars with no tail lights....Russian roulette.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
"trying to make good informative posts"

Always have to weigh the risk and rewards. Driving at night in the DR with a drunk at the wheel is some big risk. Better to wait till daylight and sobriety. I have never seen a dead body on the side of the road in the USA in over one million miles of driving. In the DR you see them weekly. What is your life worth? You will not get quick medical attention in an accident.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I don't think I would get in a car with you. What's that two in about two days

I don't blame you, hahaha. That road leaving from POP, during the day time is some scary stuff as it is.

When I was heading to Ocean World on Friday, my friend decided to pass on the left a slow moving truck, even though that section had double-yellow lines, and while we were passing, a small pick up truck decided to pass us at the same time, hahahaha. You are talking about THREE-WIDE, on that little highway, hahaha.

Have you seen the way those Caribe Tours buses hauling around those bends, at top speed, even at night:surprised:surprised.

On a serious note, Luperon you on the money with that one. Who else is drunk on that road. Very little room for error and medical attention?? I never taken the other route from Sosua through the mountains, but I heard its pretty treacherous. If my friend decided to fall asleep earlier on that mountain road, god forbid, could have been deadly. We had myself, his sister, and my other friend's daughter and son in the jeep.

Last edited: