paperwork for incoming Canadian?

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
Hi must husband and I are "dreaming" about relocating to the Dominican Republic. Many questions but one is.. if we are blessed enough to come and see if we can "fit" into the lifestyle ... it is necessary to have a type of "visitng" whatever? paperwork. that we need to have in our possession?

We have plans and if all goes well.. we would rent for 6 months and see if we like it. (which I'm hopeful we will) But we have many concerns. Being older. we will meet our Maker.. and need to be buried in the DR. BUT so far I've not seen any info on what one must do if they expire there. We would NOT want to be "flown back to Canada"

Any info on where I can look for this info. AND what paperwork will we need to stay for 6 months?

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Still Time

...necessary to have a type of "visitng" whatever? paperwork. that we need to have in our possession?
No, you will have enough time to apply for your residency while you are here.
I even suggest not to hurry that.

We would NOT want to be "flown back to Canada"
Very well.
May I, however, suggest you visit local cemetaries and then think things over...

m'frog

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
You are issued a tourist visa for 15 days normally upon your arrival at the airport, if you stay longer you have to pay a fine on departure, otherwise you can apply at the nearest DR consulate to you.
15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

Its a lovely country and the Dominicans are nice people. Good luck!

Also there is a good funeral director in POP that arranged cremations in SD

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
BUT so far I've not seen any info on what one must do if they expire there.

You don't have to do very much under these circumstances :) since mostly it will be others doing it for you while you take it easy.
US Embassy has quite a good page on this:
Death of a U.S. Citizen in the Dominican Republic
Canadian one is here:
Deaths - Problems

But, come & live life here, if that is what you wish. You probably won't expire for years and the 'regulations' such as they are, will most likely all have changed by then.

Google Blandini if you want to know about funerals here.

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
Lambada, LadyBird and Mountain Frog. Thank you for that info. It is appreciated, and I have followed the links. I am having a rough time trying to figure out my way around here *lol* I bookmarked this page, so I could find my way back *laughing* there has to be an easier way? *smile* but until I find it.. I will just do the bookmark thing. :)

Again my thanks. Trying to remember all the info I'm ready is mind boggling. So much to think of prior to making a move. I'm sure you've all been through it :) and YOU"RE OK. RIGHT?? *teasing* soo many questions so few hrs in a day .....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: Regarding your demise. Yes, do use Blandino. They can provide you will all possible services. They will take care of everything, and do a good job of it, too.

Regarding staying a bit too long on your tourist visa. Eh? so what? No big deal, as you can see by the list of "fines" above...

Pick and choose. think about what you want out of the rest of your life. Do you want to stay drunk all the time? Get skin cancer on the beach?
Or do you want to have cultural experiences...your choice...

HB

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
Hillbilly.. :) well I don't drink and neither does my hubby, so we won't stay drunk...and as for skin cancer?? well I'm not a sun sitter.. but we do love the sun. so Skin cancer? heck I can get that in Canada *lol*

Cultural experiences?? I hope so. Enjoy our senior years? I HOPE SO!!

We are starting a spanish class the end of this month to help us somewhat with basics. and as I said.. we are taking it slow. :) THANKS for all your help.

As for finding the pages.. HEY there are tons of pages in here *LOL* I'm old!!!! *falling down laughing*

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
Ok googled BLANDINO: That refers to an artist.
Did BLANDINI: and its all about folks last name.
ok did BLANDINA: and thats all about a slave.

SO what else folks? my google sure didn't give me info. just confusion. OHHH I know what it is.. you're breakin me in. *L* getting me use to being confused. DON'T worry I function just great in that state *lol*
anyhow no further ahead with the death info.
Check out the Cdn. site for dying in DR and its basically about getting the body BACK to Canada.. which won't be happening. if we die there.. we're buried there. NO flying a corpse back to Cdn. soil. WHERE WE LIVE is our home. anyhow if you have a site I can go to the Bandini...o...a whatever.. could you please post it? Because I certainly can't find it *lol*

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
getting me use to being confused. DON'T worry I function just great in that state *lol*

You should fit in really well down here then.........:cheeky: Don't worry too much about the dying thing. There are probably other more immediate issues to address & you'll probably take on a new lease of life here anyway. :)

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
Chirimoya ty for that site. *laughing hard* only have one lil prob. its all in spanish!!!! *lol* and my first Spanish lesson is this Wednesday night. AHEM.. is there an English version? *giggling*

I"m sure it tells me absolutely EVERYTHING!! *chuckling* only I'll never know!! Thanks again. I've bookmarked it.. NOW I need to figure out what it says.

Lambada.. I agree we will both have a new lease on life.. once there.. BUT like it or not.. we will die!! :) Its just one of those 'bridges' I like to have at least checked into. my husband is 10 yrs older than me and Jan 09 he will be 70 so? something that at least needs a "once over". I happen to agree with you tho. We will prob get more years to share together moving to the DR. THANKS.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, if they had an English version there would be a link there somewhere. :)

Maybe you could make an unique impression on your Spanish teacher and ask him/her to plan a lesson round death-related vocabulary, using the site as a guide? Otherwise you could just feed the text into an online translator - with your sense of humour I'm sure you'll appreciate the hit and miss results.

Maybe we could start a death-related thread on Spanish 101... it's one of the few topics that hasn't been covered.