First investigative visit in April

TandMZ

Feb 21, 2008
Hello all,

My wife and I are investigating early retirement and relocation to the DR. We are making our first visit in April to a resort near Cabarete. We have done significant research on the internet, and thus far have found that the Sousa and Cabarete areas to have the best real estate values, so that is where we are starting. However, I was hoping to get some input if there might be an area in the Northern region we should take a look at on our visit that might not be as prominent on the internet as Sousa/Cabarete. I would hate to miss out on a hidden gem simply because we didn't know about it. All your help is greatly appreciated in advance!

T

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
recommendation

I would recommend Las Terranas and/or other parts Samana. Beautiful beaches, great backdrops, whales in the spring, just a beautiful area with environmental character.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We have done significant research on the internet, and thus far have found that the Sousa and Cabarete areas to have the best real estate values, so that is where we are starting. T

I'm curious to know why you would come to this conclusion? I actually think Sosua & Cabarete are overpriced, mainly because the foreign market has pushed prices up. Once you go inland a bit prices are noticeably less.

TandMZ

Feb 21, 2008
Oceanside

The first reason for this area is to be oceanside. I have done quite a bit of research on line, and this area keeps presenting the most to choose from as far as affordable locations at or near the beach. But that is precisely why I posted this, to get input from people like yourself for options we may not be aware of yet, due to lack of exposure on the internet. We are visiting Cabarete in April. Thanks for your reply.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The first reason for this area is to be oceanside. I have done quite a bit of research on line, and this area keeps presenting the most to choose from as far as affordable locations at or near the beach. But that is precisely why I posted this, to get input from people like yourself for options we may not be aware of yet, due to lack of exposure on the internet. We are visiting Cabarete in April. Thanks for your reply.
I agree with you.
I recognize that there are cheaper places to live, but they are not where I want to live, and Sosua & Cabarete offer what most people want and need.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Ah! I hadn't realised from your first post that it needed to be oceanside. Does it need to be north coast? Maybe also research Luperon? Can it be south coast? Or south west? Like Barahona? This has been discussed in the RE Forum so you might want to look in there.

TandMZ

Feb 21, 2008
From what I have heard, there is a lack of infrastructure still on the Samana penninsula. The reosrts are well and fine, but I have read that for living off a resort, this area is lacking. Any other opinions on this?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
From what I have heard, there is a lack of infrastructure still on the Samana penninsula. The reosrts are well and fine, but I have read that for living off a resort, this area is lacking. Any other opinions on this?

When you say 'lacking', what exactly do you mean? Lacking in what? How are you defining infrastructure?

TandMZ

Feb 21, 2008
I am speaking of infrastructure, like electrical reliability, Healthcare facilities, shopping and such.

I am also looking for other ideas to visit areas in North region for this first visit, may investigate other regions at a later date.
Thank you.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
health care

Sosua / Cabarete is a better location for access to better health care than Samana at this time. Things are booming here. Every fall when we arrive for the winter there are new businesses appearing and there are endless numbers of restaurants to choose from and 2 great beaches in Sosua and Cabarete for fun. Juan Dolio sounds like a good spot because it is close to Santo Domingo and good health care, however, we have not been there. We have retired to Sosua and like it here on the north coast.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am speaking of infrastructure, like electrical reliability, Healthcare facilities, shopping and such.

I am also looking for other ideas to visit areas in North region for this first visit, may investigate other regions at a later date.
Thank you.

It gets slightly confusing when you start 2 similar threads so realised I asked where you are locating from on your other thread now... so whereabouts are you planning to relocate from? Electricity is unreliable everywhere here so you have to have back up procedures in place, healthcare is iffy to say the least - and shopping for what exactly?? some is very good but depends on what you feel you will need when you live here full time.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is little doubt that Sosua and Cabarete are more gringo friendly than anywhere in the country, in many ways.
Everybody and his brother and his mother would be here if it were not for varying perceptions of what a person is looking for, when moving here.
There are other interesting areas to investigate, such as Cabrera, Las Terrenas, maybe even Las Galeras, but the average person will get along better in the greater Sosua/Cabarete area.
There is but one solution to find out, and that is to try it out.
Our opinions are all coloured by our own desires and needs.
it took me an entire 4 months of scouring the country, only to land back up where I started, in Sosua, as it was clearly the ideal location for me.
It was not wasted time, however, because if I hadn't checked the whole country out, I would never know for sure, that I had made the correct decision.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Hello all,

My wife and I are investigating early retirement and relocation to the DR. We are making our first visit in April to a resort near Cabarete. We have done significant research on the internet, and thus far have found that the Sousa and Cabarete areas to have the best real estate values, so that is where we are starting. However, I was hoping to get some input if there might be an area in the Northern region we should take a look at on our visit that might not be as prominent on the internet as Sousa/Cabarete. I would hate to miss out on a hidden gem simply because we didn't know about it. All your help is greatly appreciated in advance!

T

Do I understand you correctly that you have never been to the DR and have researched the possibility of retiring here just from internet info?
If that is true, I suggest you come for a visit and rent for a while and live here before you buy any Real Estate.
This will give you a good insight into living conditions. It may not be what you are used to have.
We rented for 4 years ( Winters) before we finally decided to buy in Cabarete.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
The Choice

....first visit in April to a resort near Cabarete. We have done significant research on the internet...
Internet and reality are different animals.
But, of course, Cabarete is a good base to travel to various parts of the country and get a feel for their different landscapes and people.
Living close to the sea should not be overvalued; as a tourist one would go to the beach much more often than one would when living here.

Make a list of preferences most important to you and find out where they are met to the highest degree.
Anyway, this is how I went about it, some twelve years back and we haven't put up a 'se vende' sign yet...

mountainfrog

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I suggest you come for a visit and rent for a while and live here before you buy any Real Estate.

I had read all the 'rent before you buy" advice on this forum; however, when my husband and I visited Las Terrenas for the FIRST time last week, we purchased a house! Click this link to see it:
Our piece of paradise in Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic - a photoset on Flickr

We've visited most Caribbean islands and Central American countries and just KNEW when we got to Las Terrenas that this was IT!!

I believe property values on the Samana will soar once the highway from SD to Sanchez is completed--

Good luck!

TandMZ

Feb 21, 2008
Yes, we are making our first trip to DR in April. We are at the beginning of our 5 year plan, so we plan on making future trips, we're just starting on North Coast. We have traveled to other Caribbean locations, so we are not going solely on internet research, but a good place to start. A big thanks to everyone who took the time.
T

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I had read all the 'rent before you buy" advice on this forum; however, when my husband and I visited Las Terrenas for the FIRST time last week, we purchased a house!

You tell 'em, Susan! FIRST time visitor to an area & now a new home owner. You go Girl! :tired:

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase & really do hope you end up having made a lucky choice. However, the people whose advice you're so ready to say you did not follow, well... let's just say they have no vested interest in yours & others waiting to purchase other than YOUR best interest.

There are many fantastic, trouble-free properties available in DR, but telling the cream from the crap is many times more difficult than you can imagine.
The problematic stories (real) that have been recounted here on DR1 & many others never written about are too numerous to list and more varied than you can imagine ... but, then, you wouldn't listen anyway, would you? ;)

ps: TandMZ, welcome to DR1. And for me, Cabarete's the area. But do pick & choose carefully. Two neighboring, seemingly similar housing or condo devlopments can have extremely different track records for owner satisfaction. With time, you can figure out. Without investing the time, like Susan & her husband, you might get lucky in your choice. Only time will tell.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We are at the beginning of our 5 year plan, so we plan on making future trips

Now that is sensible. 5 years of visiting, researching, chatting to residents etc & you'll have a very good base on which to make a decision. I'll look out for your future posts to see if there's anything useful I can contribute. :)

However, the people whose advice you're so ready to say you did not follow, well... let's just say

probably won't bother to help again :laugh: because
but, then, you wouldn't listen anyway, would you? ;)
Did you see, CFA123 - 300 feet from the beach and no buildings near their quarter acre...............