This is INCREDIBLE...

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
all this while Leonel is busy riding the metro for the coming elections....I mean, even in Afrika the tribal elders would set up a court or the fellow villagers would lynch 'em animals

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
all this while Leonel is busy riding the metro for the coming elections....I mean, even in Afrika the tribal elders would set up a court or the fellow villagers would lynch 'em animals
I don't think that Leonel has much to do with it, but it would be nice to hear that someone took care of it.
Even in the fairest justice systems in the world, there are still flaws and injustices, and it's even more prevalent here.
Then it's time to take care of business in a different fashion.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was at the press conference this morning and had to choke back the tears when the girl's aunts were speaking. A lot of media as well as DT were there, so I hope the publicity leads to the desired results.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Marco, I beg to differ - it has EVERYTHING to do with Leonel - I mean the ministry of justice, the pilice chief etc they all respond to them !!!
I am writing to the New York Times about this, let's seee if it leads anywhere.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Marco, I beg to differ - it has EVERYTHING to do with Leonel - I mean the ministry of justice, the pilice chief etc they all respond to them !!!
I am writing to the New York Times about this, let's seee if it leads anywhere.
I understand your point.
The buck always stops with the highest placed/ranked person in command, but by that same logic, if someone were to pickpocket you in NYC, could you blame the US President?
If the guy was caught but won his case and went free, could you blame the President?
One might argue that there is more corruption here and that the President allows it, but that wouldn't be true.
First, the country was already corrupt when he became President, furthermore, the DR is probably no more corrupt that any other country, only it's done in the open here.
Other countries hide it better.
Nevertheless, that is a subject for another day.
The important matter at hand is that if the justice system failed this poor young child, then it's time for a different approach.
May they suffer 100 times the grief they have caused.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's more complex than that - this happens because of corruption and the culture of impunity, the early sexualisation of young girls and children, the fact that in the campo and in the barrios it is accepted that girls as young as this are 'taken' and initiated by older men... so for some individuals all young girls are seen as fair game. This is just an extremely horrendous example of that attitude. But korejdk, I agree. Definitely the authorities, Leonel or whoever, should take steps - here is an excerpt from Mujer y Salud's statement:

(Mujer y Salud are) issuing a public demand in the presence of the national and international communications media for the state to intervene, to ensure that:
-Not even one more rape should be tolerated,
-The only one of the seven aggressors should not remain free and that his flight should be prevented,
-All seven aggressors are sent to justice,
-The case should be reopened,
-The aggressor who is a fugitive should be pursued and arrested,
-All the officials and police officers involved should be investigated and removed from their posts,
-The witness in the case, who has been threatened on a number of occasions, should be given protection measures
-An investigation into the mother’s death should be launched,
-The penal process in relation to the rape of her eight-year old sister should be launched as well.

They also say that they will take it to international human rights bodies if the DR authorities don't act.

ETA: this is a reply to korejdk, not Rocky

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's more complex than that - this happens because of corruption and the culture of impunity, the early sexualisation of young girls and children, the fact that in the campo and in the barrios it is accepted that girls as young as this are 'taken' and initiated by older men... - But definitely the authorities, Leonel or whoever, should take steps - here is an excerpt from Mujer y Salud's statement:

(Mujer y Salud are) issuing a public demand in the presence of the national and international communications media for the state to intervene, to ensure that:
-Not even one more rape should be tolerated,
-The only one of the seven aggressors should not remain free and that his flight should be prevented,
-All seven aggressors are sent to justice,
-The case should be reopened,
-The aggressor who is a fugitive should be pursued and arrested,
-All the officials and police officers involved should be investigated and removed from their posts,
-The witness in the case, who has been threatened on a number of occasions, should be given protection measures
-An investigation into the mother?s death should be launched,
-The penal process in relation to the rape of her eight-year old sister should be launched as well.

They also say that they will take it to international human rights bodies if the DR authorities don't act.
Now that's something positive.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
All those with a cedula could at least do something about it, least of all worry about how to control the dominican womans hormones...one decided to go and live in the DR, yet one doesn't seem to give a damn except for few bucks worth of stuff that you don't use at X'mas time...Chirimoya, I cannot imagine what it was like to be there at the newsconference...I don't mean to judge anyone...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chiri, quite apart from all the justice and legal issues, do you know if Mujer y Salud have organised therapy for these two young victims?

I was at the press conference this morning and had to choke back the tears when the girl's aunts were speaking. A lot of media as well as DT were there, so I hope the publicity leads to the desired results.

Just did a very quick check through the papers and I can't find it in any of the six I checked, so it is very good news indeed that DT covered it. Don't tell me no other single paper has the story? If this is the sort of 'importance' the press is giving it Mujer y Salud are going to have an uphill battle on their hands.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, they got involved because she was taken to one of their centres.

From Mujer y Salud's statement - if you want the full text let me know and I'll e-mail it to you:

The Women?s and Health Collective became aware of the case when one of the victim?s relatives took her to our Integrated Health Services Centre (CESIN) several months ago, and we began to deal with the case.

I see that Hoy and List?n are covering it.

Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital
La República - Familiares de niña violada por hombres demandan justicia

There was at least one other newspaper journalist I knew at the press conference. She works for either El Caribe or Clave Digital, but I can't find it in either. The rest were mostly TV crews so hopefully it'll get good exposure that way.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Something is not entirely right about this story or we're missing a lot of info.

So the mother was found dead the day before. Normally there will be a velorio and burial next day and nueve dias (nine days of praying at her house) for the next nine days. The family of the woman, neighbors, etc would be there or visiting.

It was said that these men took turns raping her for two days. Was the child somewhere else during this time? According to the story the child was found, by this pastor woman, at the house she lived in with her mother. How could this happen in the same house where there should be a velorio going on at the same time (thus lots of people around).

Where were the family of the dead woman (the ones that are now protesting) during this time?

Something just does not jive.

On the other hand, it is besides the point where or how it happened (if it did) and these people should be sent to jail. One type of prisoner others are not very kind to are child rapists. These guys would be dead in a matter of months...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just sent it.

suarezn, the DT article mentions the girl being found in her house, although I don't see that mentioned in the statement text. It may have been said verbally during the press conference. I understood that she was found lying injured in some unspecified location, having been abducted by the attackers.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just sent it.

Thank you Chiri. I'd like to put the whole of your translation on my website (attributable to you, of course) if you have no objection? I think people who don't read Spanish need to read the whole thing to get the full implications of the event, the aftermath and what Mujer y Salud are planning to do.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not at all. I'll try and keep people posted if I receive more information from MyS.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Two more links from Dominican papers on this subject - Periodico 7 Dias has some interesting readers' letters:
Peri?dico 7 D?as

Noticias - Grupo dice tribunal descargó a violadores

World Vision are saying that the released perp's lawyer wasn't part of their network although they confirmed he had been a voluntary lawyer in the child protection network in Independencia. That's a real stretch, isn't it - a volunteer child protection lawyer acting as defence lawyer for the accused. Somehow I don't think organisations like the NSPCC would condone practices like that.