27 Waterfalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
I wanted let people know what a positive and negative exp. that our group had at the 27 Waterfalls. What a great place to visit and explore. We (4ppl) two adults and 2 teenagers hired a guide named Billy. Billy at first was polite and cheerful with all of us. We only did the first 7 waterfalls but, enjoyed it very much. At one point I heard Billy refer to my son (who has Aspbergers Syndrome a form of Autisim) as "Loco" to another guide. I had explained to Billy before the trip that he had Autismo Especial. This explainanation had worked well in the past with many other wonderful Dominicans. I let it slide because my son speaks no Spanish. When we returned to the staging area we tipped Billy the equal of 8 U.S. dollars in Peso's. This worked out to be roughly 23% or more of the trip price. He had the gall to come up to us and say "Whats this? Whats This? I was taken aback at his rude behavior. I explained that I had felt it was enough and only had large U.S bills. He told me that I should go get change. He also pointed to some big Dominican guy who was staring at us and said "he is not happy" Having worked in the Justice System in the U.S. I was not too intimidated by this cheap behavior. Billy gave the attempt up after a few seconds with "No Problemo". What really bothered me after we left is that my girlfriends daughter told us on the way back to our hotel that Billy had made open physical advances on her despite being told that she was engaged and was not interested several times. She said that he had grabbed her tried to hug her, hold her hand, told her he liked her white skin and tried to touch her numerous times and pulled cheap crap like, if you do not sleep with me you are racist against Dom. Men. He also told her at the very last "do not tell your Momma cause she would be mad". I WISH I had known this before we left the site. Although I wanted to go back, the girls did not want too at all. They wanted to avoid any confrontation. Has anyone else had a negative exp. like this? Any suggestion's?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I wanted let people know what a positive and negative exp. that our group had at the 27 Waterfalls. What a great place to visit and explore. We (4ppl) two adults and 2 teenagers hired a guide named Billy. Billy at first was polite and cheerful with all of us. We only did the first 7 waterfalls but, enjoyed it very much. At one point I heard Billy refer to my son (who has Aspbergers Syndrome a form of Autisim) as "Loco" to another guide. I had explained to Billy before the trip that he had Autismo Especial. This explainanation had worked well in the past with many other wonderful Dominicans. I let it slide because my son speaks no Spanish. When we returned to the staging area we tipped Billy the equal of 8 U.S. dollars in Peso's. This worked out to be roughly 23% or more of the trip price. He had the gall to come up to us and say "Whats this? Whats This? I was taken aback at his rude behavior. I explained that I had felt it was enough and only had large U.S bills. He told me that I should go get change. He also pointed to some big Dominican guy who was staring at us and said "he is not happy" Having worked in the Justice System in the U.S. I was not too intimidated by this cheap behavior. Billy gave the attempt up after a few seconds with "No Problemo". What really bothered me after we left is that my girlfriends daughter told us on the way back to our hotel that Billy had made open physical advances on her despite being told that she was engaged and was not interested several times. She said that he had grabbed her tried to hug her, hold her hand, told her he liked her white skin and tried to touch her numerous times and pulled cheap crap like, if you do not sleep with me you are racist against Dom. Men. He also told her at the very last "do not tell your Momma cause she would be mad". I WISH I had known this before we left the site. Although I wanted to go back, the girls did not want too at all. They wanted to avoid any confrontation. Has anyone else had a negative exp. like this? Any suggestion's?
The only suggestion I have is to watch for other posts about the Damagua falls and make a point of telling the story again about Billy.
Hurt him where it counts, in his wallet.

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
27 Waterfalls Response

Rocky, I agree completely. Hit him where it hurts! I think that everybody should know that I told the girls expect to be eyeballed, whistled at, with some comments. I explained to them about Sankies etc. I also told them on their first foreign trip that they would see a wonderful nation and a warm giving people. The positives here far out number the negatives. By the way, "Billy" has a round faint scar on the back of his head (lower right side) and a bad scar on his outside right ankle. He told us it was from racing Motorbikes when he had a bad crash that broke his leg in 3 places. I plan on contacting the company and will let everybody know the response we receive.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
So sorry to hear of this bad experience. Please pass along the information about the company, if Billy works for one or if he is an independent. Take care

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This is a tough one, as I believe complaining to the company will do you no good.

But you should do so anyway as you are well within your rights to feel outraged at this mans' behavior.

I can tell you stories about what I've seen very similar to yours. I was riding a publico from Sosua to Cabarete and two french girls get on. The driver makes it a point to have one of them sit beside him and then proceeds to stroke her hair, shoulders and arm while hes' driving.

I felt horrible, as this young woman had no recourse because we were jammed in there like sardines in a can. He kept touching her until she got off. It certainly didn't help that she spoke no spanish.

The open harassment of women is just one of those things that I'll never get used to about the DR.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
This is a tough one, as I believe complaining to the company will do you no good.

But you should do so anyway as you are well within your rights to feel outraged at this mans' behavior.

I can tell you stories about what I've seen very similar to yours. I was riding a publico from Sosua to Cabarete and two french girls get on. The driver makes it a point to have one of them sit beside him and then proceeds to stroke her hair, shoulders and arm while hes' driving.

I felt horrible, as this young woman had no recourse because we were jammed in there like sardines in a can. He kept touching her until she got off. It certainly didn't help that she spoke no spanish.

The open harassment of women is just one of those things that I'll never get used to about the DR.

Now, what would happen if a gringo/tourist starts doing the same to Dominican girls ? What's the reaction of the local people ?

J

John Evans

perhaps I could show him what an unwanted advance is like lol

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
ssssssssssssssss

On many occasions, almost everywhere.. inside and outside the resort, we would get "hissed" at ,like this creepy snake like noise...i was with my girls, and of course them being teenagers they would crack up and start walking away really quick.
I have told them to ignore it, and not pay any attention to it.

We have had Dominican men jump out of their boats to join us for a swim, completely uninvited... Thats when they would try touching the girls and myself, thankfully i was there to get rid of them...they never knew i was the parent..They would totally surprised when i gave it to them..

I would be afraid for the young teens (18-19) to go on vacation alone. My daughter will be 18 next year!! even though i know she has a good head on her shoulders, it would just be a scary thought letting her go on her own with a group of friends!

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
I'm missing it, or is it a joke?
I would hate to have made a racist/discriminatory remark.

I was trying to say that Dominicans act dicrimantorily. They do to others something they don't want to be done to themselves. I don't know if this can be called discrimination, but that's what I wanted to say. I never thought that you're a racist, Rocky.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
On many occasions, almost everywhere.. inside and outside the resort, we would get "hissed" at ,like this creepy snake like noise...i was with my girls, and of course them being teenagers they would crack up and start walking away really quick.
I have told them to ignore it, and not pay any attention to it.

We have had Dominican men jump out of their boats to join us for a swim, completely uninvited... Thats when they would try touching the girls and myself, thankfully i was there to get rid of them...they never knew i was the parent..They would totally surprised when i gave it to them..

I would be afraid for the young teens (18-19) to go on vacation alone. My daughter will be 18 next year!! even though i know she has a good head on her shoulders, it would just be a scary thought letting her go on her own with a group of friends!

At Playa Dorada, two Dominican men were insistently following us, at the point that we got scared. We stopped, they came closer and said to us "wow, isnt nice here ? it's heaven. " My wife replied "if it's heaven, you must be some dead people; we like it on Earth ". They left and never approached us.
Now, as Lapurr said, they could be agressive and it's not curiosity, or education. It's lack of respect and could degenerate in theft, most of the time.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
At Playa Dorada, two Dominican men were insistently following us, at the point that we got scared. We stopped, they came closer and said to us "wow, isnt nice here ? it's heaven. " My wife replied "if it's heaven, you must be some dead people; we like it on Earth ". They left and never approached us.
Now, as Lapurr said, they could be agressive and it's not curiosity, or education. It's lack of respect and could degenerate in theft, most of the time.

Ever try walking around the city in Puerto Plata? Man, it was incredible. I was on a tour with a british family and I am glad they did not understand what those vermin were saying to their young daughter. It was disgusting.

What I don't understand is what the hell makes them think that women love being groped by men they don't know. Why they are so brazen about this type of aggressive behavior, as if the catcalling wasn't disrespectful enough.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I was trying to say that Dominicans act dicrimantorily. They do to others something they don't want to be done to themselves. I don't know if this can be called discrimination, but that's what I wanted to say. I never thought that you're a racist, Rocky.

FYI, the word in question is "discriminatory"!

For all of you who feel "scared" and intimidated in the DR, especially in tourist areas, please try to get out there and experience reality in a beautiful place where you can learn a lot from the local people, instead of bashing them.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Ever try walking around the city in Puerto Plata? Man, it was incredible. I was on a tour with a british family and I am glad they did not understand what those vermin were saying to their young daughter. It was disgusting.

What I don't understand is what the hell makes them think that women love being groped by men they don't know. Why they are so brazen about this type of aggressive behavior, as if the catcalling wasn't disrespectful enough.

Dont you think the use of the word "vermin" is a bit excessive?? Since I wasnt there, I cant comment, but does the necessity exist for such a harsh word? I guess where you come from, everyone is perfect????

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I remember southern Italy being somewhat the same, but it's manageable if you realize as AndrewC says "disrespect can degenerate into theft" -- I'll add "even violence". This is true for men ("Hey, ma' fren'!") as well as women.

As the "playful" insults and "complimentary" touching ramps up, one should respond with some appreciation mixed with definite "no" signals. Miss the proper responses early, or fail to ramp up the "no" signals faster than the "come-on" signals, then get away fast. If you're a woman, and you've given all the correct signals, slap the SOB, just not too hard. Both men and women can begin hollering "policia, policia!". The cops won't come, but the sorry sadsacks that are pulling the stunts get flumixed and lose face in front of their friends or employers.

Finally, this advice only applies to the subject at hand, wannabe sankies, "guides", street hustlers, and so on. Never to someone who looks as though they may be armed and are seriously threatening you. Then you run like hell shouting "policia", or if in a car in a remote place, run them down and speed away.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I remember southern Italy being somewhat the same, but it's manageable if you realize as AndrewC says "disrespect can degenerate into theft" -- I'll add "even violence". This is true for men ("Hey, ma' fren'!") as well as women.

As the "playful" insults and "complimentary" touching ramps up, one should respond with some appreciation mixed with definite "no" signals. Miss the proper responses early, or fail to ramp up the "no" signals faster than the "come-on" signals, then get away fast. If you're a woman, and you've given all the correct signals, slap the SOB, just not too hard. Both men and women can begin hollering "policia, policia!". The cops won't come, but the sorry sadsacks that are pulling the stunts get flumixed and lose face in front of their friends or employers.

Finally, this advice only applies to the subject at hand, wannabe sankies, "guides", street hustlers, and so on. Never to someone who looks as though they may be armed and are seriously threatening you. Then you run like hell shouting "policia", or if in a car in a remote place, run them down and speed away.
I highly recommend to not do any face slapping.
In the DR, it's considered grounds for murder.
I personally know 2 people who have killed others for having slapped them in the face, one right on the spot, the other, a couple of days later.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
Dont you think the use of the word "vermin" is a bit excessive?? Since I wasnt there, I cant comment, but does the necessity exist for such a harsh word? I guess where you come from, everyone is perfect????

drloca, bad things happen to tourists or foreigners residents, you can't deny it.
We are not used to them and don't know how to react. When I see that happened, first thing coming to my mind is "are these local people stupid, or what ? ". The annoying thing is that it happens on the streets, main streets, and other public places, not hidden, infamous barios. Go to PP in central park and try to rest for a few minutes. You'll be "intercepted" by lots of insisting locals with most strange requests, all related to money.

Status
Not open for further replies.