What's Not Available In The Dominican Republic??

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Is there anything (whether it be a Cadburby Flake, Christmas lights, dart-board, Oxo's) that isn't available in the Dominican Republic that you really miss from 'home'?
I'm relocating to Sosua in May/June/July from the U.K and wanted to make sure I packed the right stuff!

Thanks

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Is there anything (whether it be a Cadburby Flake, Christmas lights, dart-board, Oxo's) that isn't available in the Dominican Republic that you really miss from 'home'?
I'm relocating to Sosua in May/June/July from the U.K and wanted to make sure I packed the right stuff!

Thanks

What I miss from home doesn't necessarily mean that it would be the same that you miss.
Maybe it would be better to make up a list that you have your doubts of and ask then about those products

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't have the answer to your question, as it was quite correctly pointed out above, it varies from person to person.
I did want to say, "Bienvenido" to Sosua.
May it be the paradise of your dreams.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Snow (but you can find cool weather up in the mountain towns)

The question is very broad (i.e. I could ask is Kimchi available in The DR, but if I'm not Korean I may not be looking for Kimchi)

As already mentioned, make a list and we'll tell you...

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Anything that is a comfort or luxury cost twice as much most of the time. I personally would bring a professional massage table for the home.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Anything that is a comfort or luxury cost twice as much most of the time. I personally would bring a professional massage table for the home.

It depends on whether it is imported or made in The DR...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You won't get Branston pickle or gravy granules here, although you can get some US type of turkey gravy mix. You can now get a type of stuffing for chicken although it won't be what you're used to. Over time though you'll either find Dominican substitutes, make your own or realise you don't miss these things after all. Could take a few years. ;)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
You won't get Branston pickle or gravy granules here, although you can get some US type of turkey gravy mix. You can now get a type of stuffing for chicken although it won't be what you're used to. Over time though you'll either find Dominican substitutes, make your own or realise you don't miss these things after all. Could take a few years. ;)

So true. When I returned from UK at the end of October I brought quite a few things that we "felt" we missed but most of it sits in the store cupboard in the kitchen as we have found different or better things here in DR. Can't beat the true Colman's English Mustard powder though... anyone coming over please bring me another tub as I lost half of mine when I dropped it!!!

If you are relocating to the DR full-time, you would probably never bring enough of what you think you are going to miss anyway so easier just to adapt to life and living here....

Other little hiccups and going through the learning curve will almost definitely eliminate your cravings for what you cannot get in the supermarket!!

Last edited:

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth

No, nothing, not one thing. As soon as I leave the DR I miss seafood. Had some quasi seafood today but nothing like the real stuff.:classic::classic:

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
Marmite, Paxo stuffing mix, gravy powder - not things I can't live without but they are the items I bring back from the UK (along with as much Dairy Milk and Galaxy as my luggage allowance will allow!!). Oh, and decent underwear too!!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
peanut butter...? I was like:surprised!! My friend asked that i bring him peanut butter!! :paranoid:
ummm...i take it not avaiable?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
peanut butter...? I was like:surprised!! My friend asked that i bring him peanut butter!! :paranoid:
ummm...i take it not avaiable?

Many years ago I bought a tiny jar for the equivalent of $5.00 :surprised and a dollar for an apple. The things you miss while away from home :ermm:

A

apostropheman

Peanut butter must be pretty expensive in the DR. I've brought at least 2 big jars down for friends. I'll have to remember to bring more next trip :D