Security?

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
When first going to the DR. to try and see if living there is for you.. While looking for an apartment (since we will rent for the first 6 months first) Should we be looking into a place that has 24 hr security? (ie a gated community.. or is that just for homes?)

We are not much for gossip, but of course folks here are full of it. Some that have "visited" DR have been "sharing" OHH don't get a place there unless you have security etc etc. So just wondering.. is this so?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
24 hour security is important no matter what country you're in.

Depending on where you choose to live, what you need to achieve reasonable security varies. Same here in DR... there are places you wouldn't need to lock your doors and others where you'd want to have 10 big dogs, a security guard - and someone to keep an eye on him.

The truth, some 'gated' areas along the north coast have proven less secure at times that free-standing houses.

The trick is figuring out what's/what - and that's one reason most in the know recommend putting off a buying decision until you've figured it out for yourself.

Last edited:

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
security

I think that here in the DR most of the better apartment complexes have 24 hr security.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
When you decide on a particular town/city, ask the other expats which places they consider secure, and which to avoid.
You could easily find a gated community, that for some reason or another suffers frequent break ins, while other places with seemingly little security, are very safe.
As long as you are asking local expats who have no special agenda (no real estate agents, for example), then you should get good info.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I second Rocky's advice.

We are not much for gossip, but of course folks here are full of it. Some that have "visited" DR have been "sharing" OHH don't get a place there unless you have security etc etc. So just wondering.. is this so?

Hope you realise that as you gain more & more knowledge you are likely to fall out with the folks back home, those 'experts' who have been here for 2 weeks in an AI and whose perception, regrettably, is only as wide as the blinkers they wear.

And they usually wear them above their nosebags........:laugh:

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
Thank you for the info. It is something we will find out ONCE we are there for a while, I know that. BUT its what you wonder before you get there. *lol* the unknown.
And yes asking an expat is the reason I posted. No one will know better than those that have "done" it.

I know some folks here will just say whatever cause they can't go? *lol* or whatever agenda they might have. BUT it is a good question to have an answer to. I will probably try and hunt some of you folks done once there *unless you're incognito. :)

NOTHING like experience. and I dislike "gossip" there isn't anything good about it. BUT the head still listens...sadly. Again my thanks.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Bases

When first going to the DR. to try and see if living there is for you.. While looking for an apartment (since we will rent for the first 6 months first) Should we be looking into a place that has 24 hr security?

Unless you have made up your mind already about a certain town or region you may want to consider staying in hotels in various places.

m'frog

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
Well not knowing of hotels? makes it tuff to consider that choice M'frog. but it might be a good idea at first.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I second Rocky's advice.

Hope you realise that as you gain more & more knowledge you are likely to fall out with the folks back home, those 'experts' who have been here for 2 weeks in an AI and whose perception, regrettably, is only as wide as the blinkers they wear.

And they usually wear them above their nosebags........:laugh:

Funny but how true.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
When you decide on a particular town/city, ask the other expats which places they consider secure, and which to avoid.
You could easily find a gated community, that for some reason or another suffers frequent break ins, while other places with seemingly little security, are very safe.
As long as you are asking local expats who have no special agenda (no real estate agents, for example), then you should get good info.

Rocky,
Not all real estate agents have hidden or secondary agendas (unfortunatly many do). Some of us are truely expats first.

Bob K

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
humm someone sent me a pm and I didn't get it :( sorry.
OK..
Here we go..
How'd you know someone sent you a PM, if you didn't get one? (That's just the obvious question).
If you got an email saying you have a PM, the content of said PM should be in that email.
Last but not least... Beware of people "selling" you things by PM.

J

John Evans

very often the security man will be sat in his hut at the drive entrance ...which isnt a lot of good if someone doesnt use the road to walk in ie they climb over a wall

J

John Evans

look at the property as if you were locked out - would it be easy to get back in.....are there some nice ladders in your garage to help people get access

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
:) Rocky I knew I had a pm as I was told that when I open this page, but then after clicking their buttons.. I was told I couldn't open it. Anyhow I figured out where it was hiding and got to it.. TY TY.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Last but not least... Beware of people "selling" you things by PM.

PS it was me who sent the PM, initially advising satinpeach to post more details so that people could advise her more accurately. While being aware of 'pm sales' is good advice, based upon what she told me in her subsequent PM I advised her to contact Judy at Las Canas, which I'm sure you and others on here would vouch for as being a well run, safe, clean, reasonably priced place for a 6 month stay?