reliable taxi driver

L

Leanne

My boyfriend and I will be travelling to Puerto Plata in February 2001. We need to get from the POP airport to the Playa Dorada complex. Does anyone know of a reliable taxi driver that would be available, or how to know the good ones from the bad ones. Also, if the driver is good, we might want to set up a day or two when he could take us around the north coast to see the "real" Dominican Republic. We prefer that the driver speak pretty good english as neither my boyfriend or I speak Spanish!

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

E

Eddy

The taxi drivers at the airport have FIXED rates to different areas. You should have no problem getting to your hotel. As for a reliable driver that speaks english I'm sure you will find one without any problem. Just check it out after you arrive. Have a nice vacation.

C

Charly H.-G.Wardelmann

There is a special Taxi Company, called "TECNI-TAXI (S.A.)". They just charge you the half price from aiport or where ever you later go.
They dont belong to this TAXIMAFIA here, so you have to call them, but local calls are free (from the Hotel for example) and from the airport its just one Peso.
The # is 320 7621 (for POP area -in St.D. its another) and if you ask for the unit 315 (Antony) you have a english spoken driver, even for the next days.....
If he is busy, there are much more english spoken (his brother has 347 Rodolfo) and even busses they have for the same half price.
Mostly even the operator talk english..........
good luck.
cu/charly

B

Bill

I agree with the others, it will be no problem to get from the airport to Playa Dorada. If you still want to cantact a good taxi driver that speaks English, we have been very pleased with a driver from POP. His name is Luis Jose (Kico) Marcelino.
Call 809-320-7386 and ask for Kico.