Pico Duarte

peakbagger

Feb 23, 2008
Hi,
this is my first thread in this forum, being a member for barely five minutes...
Anyway: I'd like to climb Pico Duarte with my girlfriend in March. Is it possible to arrive in La Cienaga from Jarabacoa, hire a guide (and mule) there and start walking the same day to reach the hut in time or do we have to start on the next day? Is there any accomodation in La Cienaga?
Thanks for your help!
Klaas (from Germany)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
why not come here when the group goes up there every year. I think some companies organize a trip up there every few months. it includes food, sleeping huts and mules etc.
Lets see if anyone can give more information on this issue. I know people who climb this mountian every year.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi,
this is my first thread in this forum, being a member for barely five minutes...
Anyway: I'd like to climb Pico Duarte with my girlfriend in March. Is it possible to arrive in La Cienaga from Jarabacoa, hire a guide (and mule) there and start walking the same day to reach the hut in time or do we have to start on the next day? Is there any accomodation in La Cienaga?
Thanks for your help!
Klaas (from Germany)

Klaus, by vehicle it is only about 1 hour or so to La Cienaga.I'm sure if you left Jarabacoa in the morning you would have plenty of time. I would contact Tim Horn en duetch
Guest-House Jarabacoa - Dominikanische Republik - Domrep

peakbagger

Feb 23, 2008
Thanks for your advice! Looks like its possible to climb Pico Duarte in two days roundtrip from Jarabacoa. I'd rather do it without mules but it seems that almost everybody ist taking them along...

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
From La Cienaga to the peak its a 14 mile climb where the net vertical climb is just shy of 7,000ft. You can judge for yourself if you want to carry your gear. Most folks carry a light day pack and let the mulos do the rest. Some also choose to hire a second mulo and do a walk/ride combo.

The first year I went from La Cienaga to the cabins on the first day and to the peak and all the way down on the second. It can be done in two days but since then all my trips have been 3 days with the second day going up to the peak and back down to the camp and making the final leg down the last day.

Thanks for your advice! Looks like its possible to climb Pico Duarte in two days roundtrip from Jarabacoa. I'd rather do it without mules but it seems that almost everybody ist taking them along...

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
[......... Is there any accomodation in La Cienaga?
Thanks for your help!
Klaas (from Germany)[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of but if you have gear the guides will let you camp along side the river at the trailhead.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Sorry for the typo. Its just shy of a 6,000ft net vertical climb. I have a photo showing all the distances and elevations for the trail if you would like it emailed or someone shows me how to post a photo here.

From La Cienaga to the peak its a 14 mile climb where the net vertical climb is just shy of 7,000ft. You can judge for yourself if you want to carry your gear. Most folks carry a light day pack and let the mulos do the rest. Some also choose to hire a second mulo and do a walk/ride combo.

The first year I went from La Cienaga to the cabins on the first day and to the peak and all the way down on the second. It can be done in two days but since then all my trips have been 3 days with the second day going up to the peak and back down to the camp and making the final leg down the last day.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Sorry for the typo. Its just shy of a 6,000ft net vertical climb. I have a photo showing all the distances and elevations for the trail if you would like it emailed or someone shows me how to post a photo here.

When dried!!! Hell! If it rains some days before it feels like a 12,000 + vertical climb with a backpack full of rocks, all the while juggling two white Elephants in your shoulders... Did I mention the casual 25lbs rat cruising by the paths??

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
someone shows me how to post a photo here.
First downsize the pic to less than 100k.
That can be done in "Paint" or you can download a resizer at PIXresizer - Download
Then go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and join if you are not already a member.
Upload the pic that you want to post.
Once uploaded, check the box next to that pic, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the IMG code option.
Once the code is generated, copy and paste the link from the message board option.