WARNING to the mods. Personal questions to follow.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
First I would like to say - I don't know how you do it. The patience and effort you put into this high paying job is over the top. It seems to me that you are in front of that screen 24 hours a day. If I sit in front of a computer for an hour my eyes are popping out of my head-quite a task you perform. Congrats and my blessings to all of you!

I have a few questions for the mods and I am sure there are many on board that would love to hear your responses.(No, your job is not on the line only a possible reduction in pay when the boss sees this)

1. Speaking of the boss,what made you (the mods) accept this job? I mean this is a FULL time assignment 24/7. I doubt it was the money so what was the one thing that convienced you to do it?

2. How many hours a day do you monitor the forum and do you work at other things that perhaps pay a bit more?

3. What is the single most thing that annoys you?

4.What gives you the greatest pleasure?

5. Do you have a program that alerts you when certain individuals have entered the forum? Kind of like a bell in a fire house necessitating you to rise from bed in the middle of the night to monitor? Just kidding/serious.

6.Describe a typical day in the life of a Mod.

7.What causes you to delete a post? Close a thread? Do you have full authority to do this?

8. What brought you to dr1 at first?

9.Would you do it again knowing what you know now?

10. How frequently do you get those 35% raises I heard about?

Let me repeat my praise to all of you. You are all doing a fantastiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic job!!!

john

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Me thinks good questions

The structure of DR1 is replicated elsewhere. I've often marveled at the breadth and depth that constitutes the DR1 forums and how the "conversations" go. So far, I am amazed at the quality of moderation within this snakepit. Put me in my place a few times I might say. And I appreciate it!

The scope of topics discussed on this forum is amazing and far reaching. I have nothing but respect for the few brave souls who moderate ( read: keep the system working in spite of the BS) and have found their fairness, sensibilities and humor delightful. I hope they gain something.

But who are these people? Reveal yourself! Chris, you are first up.;)

Sollie

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
But who are these people? Reveal yourself! Chris, you are first up.;)

Sollie

Hehehe! I've been interviewed you know. By a great author and former co-presenter of a DR1 podcast. I'm only here for the fruit and vegetables really. ;) And when the SHTF, the mods help one another.

For further self-revelations I plead the 5th.

To answer a few of Johne's questions ..

1. I moderate as a method to give back to this community who gave a lot to me. I still learn more from the board than what it ever will learn from me.

2. I don't spend hours on the board, excepting if a topic comes up that interests me personally. Initially it was hard to draw personal boundaries and moderator boundaries. Now I don't worry about that so much. I'm mostly a mod in my own forums and a poster in other forums. Usually I pop in a few times a day while doing my normal job. I'm my own boss, so can set my own times.

3. Single most thing that annoys me? Well, there are many. Some posters who reach 500 posts and then suddenly think they're God's gift to the world .. and (it is a real phenomenon you know LOL), suddenly rules don't apply to them ;). Usually by around 600 posts though they turn to valuable and seasoned posters. It is just that 'Gold' under the name seems to affect some posters. Sockpuppets and Spammers and first time posters that say "PM me for more information".

4. Pleasure? When I can really help a poster. This usually happens more on pm than in public. And when years later a poster comes back to me to say that years before I've been helpful to them. That is truly nice stuff. And much pleasure when the mods are a team and help one another.

5. That is 5th amendment stuff!

6. Those don't exist. Some days start with all the gates of hell suddenly opening on the forums, and some days go by with nary a peep out of anyone. ;)

7. Yes, full authority. Robert is supportive of the mods and their decisions. Deleting threads happen when people don't follow rules of the forum or divulge info that does not belong here or simply tell wopper-big lies. They usually get warned on pm beforehand, so, those posters are seldom innocent. ;) Closing threads is more like stopping a runaway train to give posters a little time to breathe and get themselves back to themselves or sober up. LOL.

8. Same as most others. Research to live in the DR.

9. Yes, in a heartbeat. Moderator as a job is coming into its own and I've written a number of articles well accepted about how to moderate, so, in my own job the experience here has been helpful as well. (No, I don't always follow my own advice).

10. We get the 50% ones more frequently than the 35% ones LOL. Just that the checks sometimes get lost in the mail.

Thanks for saying thanks. I think I speak for all the mods if I say we truly appreciate it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have a few questions for the mods and I am sure there are many on board that would love to hear your responses.(No, your job is not on the line only a possible reduction in pay when the boss sees this)

1. Speaking of the boss,what made you (the mods) accept this job? I mean this is a FULL time assignment 24/7. I doubt it was the money so what was the one thing that convienced you to do it?

A.When Mars/venus was created our DR1 member KEN nominated me and Robert asked if I was interested so I accepted. My main reason was to help others but sometimes it's hard to stay on track when we have many socks or people having fun with us. It really spoils it for the others that do need help. And just for the record, we do NOT get paid for doing this

2. How many hours a day do you monitor the forum and do you work at other things that perhaps pay a bit more?

A. It depends what else I'm doing. I sometimes think I have ESP because I can be gone for hours but suddenly I feel the need to check the forums and sure enough there will be something here to attend to. I volunteer at a senior's centre, spend time with the grandkids and my family. The more interesting things I don't write about. I'm Sicilian and my Mom taught me the less you say to strangers the better.

A. People that don't finish reading the first post of a thread and jump right in to give advice without knowing what the topic is.

A. When someone tells me I've made even a tiny difference by what I've written. I have met a few hundred people from DR1 both in Canada and the DR and some I consider good friends.

5. Do you have a program that alerts you when certain individuals have entered the forum? Kind of like a bell in a fire house necessitating you to rise from bed in the middle of the night to monitor? Just kidding/serious.

A. If a thread looks like it be get controversial I subscribe to it so that I will receive and email alert.

A. Again it depends what else is going on. I will turn on the computer and do bathroom stuff and breakfast then check the forums. Do others things away from the PC check again when I feel I want to sit and rest for a while.

7.What causes you to delete a post? Close a thread? Do you have full authority to do this?

A. Mostly it's off topic posts. If I'm gone too long and the thread isn't worth saving because I have 50 posts to read and decide which should be deleted to get the thread back on track, it's easier to just close it. I must say we have a great boss. He allows us to run our forums the best way we see fit and stands behind us 100%.

A. I got on the internet the summer of 1999 and I wanted to find more info on Sosua, DR1 kept coming up in the search engines. What a crazy format we had back then. Long list of topics and answers with no separate forums and guess what? everyone could see your IP beside your username

A. Yes I would. It's good for old people to keep fingers busy;)

A. You're kidding me right? I repeat, we do this for love not money.

Let me repeat my praise to all of you. You are all doing a fantastiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic job!!!

Thank you, this little sentence is what keeps us here.:classic:

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Hope everybody

realizes that my remarks about "money and pay" is tongue in cheek.:glasses::glasses:

john

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

I was spending way too much time on this site. Chris Colon was leaving the forum as MOD, Larry recommended me and I took it.

Lately I don't spend that much time due to promotion at work that keeps me real busy. Luckily we have tools in place that notify us of virtually anything on the site.

People that call the country The Dominican is on top of my list. The other is people who think they know it all and don't give others the benefit of the doubt on this site.

Deleting an unrully thread into oblivion. Deleting personal attacks and leavy witty comments for the attackers etc.

Yes. Look at answer to question #2.

Come in, look around. Read a few threads. Analyze analyze analyze (should I delete this yadda yadda yadda) then leave.

Unrully behavior, personal attacks, wise-a$$ comments. The Boss gives us Mods full authority to do whatever we feel is right in our forums. That is the great thing about working for him. In the time I have been a Mod I have never been questioned regarding my actions.

A search of Sosua beach in 2002. Was a lurker for a few months and then joined in 2003.

Yes. 100 times over.

All the time lol

I want to say thank you to the other Mods on the board. Without them (specially Chris and Anna) my job would be extremely difficult.

J

John Evans

thats hillarious that cris colon was a moderator...you will be telling me azb was one too next

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I know this is nothing really to do with me but, as this is a thread about moderators, I hope no one will mind if I just say a big thank you to them all for doing such a super, super job - wish I could earn your exhorbitant salaries here in the DR!!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The truth of the matter is that Chris and Anna are the glue that holds the DR1 forums together.
We'd be screwed without them.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Oh boy Rocky, there are mods that simply do not talk as much as Anna and I do. But anyway, there is that clickety thing that you click on and it spits out nice colorful little blocks on our posts. I believe these are good to have LOL. Just click that clickety thing a few times OK ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Oh boy Rocky, there are mods that simply do not talk as much as Anna and I do. But anyway, there is that clickety thing that you click on and it spits out nice colorful little blocks on our posts. I believe these are good to have LOL. Just click that clickety thing a few times OK ;)
Yeah, I know, and they are very appreciated too.
The thing is that you two are very active and have to deal with a lot of battles and a lot of crazies, so the least we can do is give you recognition, seeing as how they don't pay you.:ermm:

PS: There you go. Clicked on your thingies.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
WTG Mod's

I mod 2 poker forums and I know what a pain it is. Great job Anna and Chris. Good thingy clicks for both of you. :cheeky: