Nice wreck or caves diving near Puerto plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinobi226

Feb 24, 2008
Hi i'm in need of information here, i'd like to for you to share with me the diving spot that you know, it doesnt have to be in puerto plata, my wife actually lives in santo domingo but i'll be a whole week in puerto plata in may. I'm avidely awaiting your suggestions!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Sorry, not very positive about diving in the POP area. IN bahia Isabella west of Luperon are some excellent wrecks, in Punta Rusia some others, but in POP, I can?t recommend much. Happy diving!

Victormeldrew

Sep 5, 2004
Is there any decent snorkeling to be found around the Gran Oasis Marien/Playa Dorada area or should I hire some local knowledge for a few hours? If not can anyone suggest who to ask and what kind of price should you expect to pay?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The better snorkeling will be in Sosua. You can take the Freestyle catamaran day trip, take the local bus (gua gua) to Sosua Bay or hire a taxi at your hotel to take you. If you have equipment bring it with you or just rent some on the beach!

It is the best near this area but certainly not excellent snorkeling.

Diving - Luperon is your best bet. there is nothing closer to Puerto Plata to my knowledge.

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Yes some excellent wrecks, at Punta Rucia, are we talking about the same place...????
Fightfish.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
''...Sea Explorer Burt Webber is the director of operations on the "Ocean Lady," a 128-foot exploration boat docked along the Miami River. Webber and his crew, will use it to hopefully find a valuable pirate ship.
"Realistically, what could be on board the vessel could be a $150 million dollars," said Webber.
Webber believes the ship called "The English Cossair" recovered a treasure on board "The Concepsion" in the 1600s, off the coast of the Dominican Republic at the south reef. It sank and they believe the treasure is still on board, deep in the water...'' Video report : cbs4.com - High Tech Explorers Will Search The Sea For Loot

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
The only wreck around the Sosua area that's divable is the Zinguara, a 100 foot bananna cargo ship that was sunk on purpose about 15 years ago for the divers. There are other wrecks around, but they are too deep for diving. There are Spanish Gallions around Monti Christi, but they are very deteriorated and in a marine preserve and not divable. There may be some wrecks around Monti Christi and Punta Rusia, but you'll have to check with the locals there as I don't have any information on them.

As far as caves go, there are thousands of caves on this island, most haven't been explored, and most require cave certification and cave diving equipment. There is a cavern dive at Lake Du Du which is east of Cabrera which is a very nice dive.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Couldn't see any line in that cave and couldn't see they laid one. Saw a thumb reel on one of the guys that was all.

Status
Not open for further replies.