Cable Companies in Santo Domingo?

Rosanna

Apr 28, 2007
Returning to SD this week. Thinking of getting cable tv with
possibly internet hook-up. What company offers it in SD and what are the rates nowadays?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I have used Aster to get both cable TV and high speed internet over the same cable, but they do not offer service in all parts of Santo Domingo yet. We are in Gazcue. For both services, including all of the premium channels, the bill runs about RD$2100 a month. Their offices are on Roberto Pastoriza between Ortega y Gasset and Tiradentes, on the north side of the street. Service is generally good, with a few outages, especially after a big rain, but they usually respond within 1/2 day to fix things.

mirando21

Mar 8, 2008
how fast is the internet

Can you please let me know the download and upload speed of the interent, and also if you know what is the fastest DSL or Cable internet access availalbe and at what price,

thank you,

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I used the 3 main ones over the past years.

1. Verizon ADSL: Up to 1.5MB, best latency, 1st choice if available. Many reports of problems lately, but not sure if they apply to SD area.

2. Aster Cable: 512KB down (only very expensive biz-plans beyond that), aweful latency (above 500ms), many outages that affected only internet service but not TV and therefore took forever to get repaired (5+ days on average).

4. Telecable: What I use now. 1.5MB down, average latency (100 to 250ms), upspeed advertised as 128KB but getting 400KB. So far I only had short outages that lasted 1 minute max. Speeds can go down the drain on weekends and holidays (from 1.5MB to 0.5MB in my case). Telecable is also the only ISP where I am sure they throttle speeds on most ports except 21, 80 and a few others. Can get around it by setting programs to use non-throttled ports.