Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 9 million people and 100,000 newspapers printed??

Hillbilly made a comment in another thread that in the DR there are 9 million people and only 100,000 newspapers printed. Is this a gross exaggeration in order to get a point across or is this a legitimate fact? I just find it hard to believe that there are only 100,000 newspapers printed in the whole country. Maybe I misunderstood. Though I understand Dominicans aren't the most literary people, i.e. an extensive culture of reading etc, but this just seems way too much. Where did you get this fact and can you substantiate this with a reference to something? Did you work in the newspaper business? Anyone have any references to this?

Much appreciated,

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the facts are, but I can tell you that I don't believe nary a house in the campo where my wife is from has a paper. I have never seen one in my families or neighbors house, but then again these people haven't had the benefit of even a decent education - and for that matter I don't think things have changed. Furthermore, after only 4 months of studying Spanish and not able to communicate effectively, I was the undisputed scrabble champion of the barrio. Papa, es que pa'tras que vamos.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Consider also the expense of a newspaper, relative to their earnings.
    It might be like us paying 10 bux for a newspaper in North america.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

here's a few websites I found regarding the matter. There's some figures at 28-35 newspapers per 1,000 in population

Dominican Republic Press, Media, TV, Radio, Newspapers

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: general data

country profile | UNdata

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

trends are to reading newspapers online too

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

And the morning tv talk shows that seem to do nothing more than show and discuss that day's newspaper headlines...

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Furthermore, after only 4 months of studying Spanish and not able to communicate effectively, I was the undisputed scrabble champion of the barrio. Papa, es que pa'tras que vamos.
    Lucky you! I gave up trying to get my DR friends to play Scrabble. With them, it's either "a jugá domino" or chit-chat centered around who has more money: "¿Quién tiene mas cuartos, Amable or MVM?" or "Diablo! Coño! Tu has visto el yipetón que se compró Felito?"

Unfortunately, reading--even if just newspapers--is not important for most Dominicans.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El sabelotó View Post
    Unfortunately, reading--even if just newspapers--is not important for most Dominicans.
    Although I hear the underlaying message here I would not necessarily agree. MANY Dominicans go to their social centre to read the newspapers - Colmados, Barbers, Bread shops, ........................... The Newspapers in our local Bread shop (a centre for the PRD too) are read by about 20/25 people in a day!! ~ Grahame.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Furthermore, after only 4 months of studying Spanish and not able to communicate effectively, I was the undisputed scrabble champion of the barrio.
    Thats outstanding!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adrianb View Post
    Thats outstanding!
    That was only because I knew which words use the "s" really.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast