Bugs in the Broccoli

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The broccoli I buy often has worms and evidence of such.

I always buy the greenest of the green, but until you unwrap the contents you never know what you are buying.

My question here is one of pesticides and the health consequences related to this Country.

After 2 years of living in the DR I have never been sick other than the different strains of the Flu Virus.

Any comments about pesticides would be appreciated.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
As well as bugs in the broccolli you also get caterpillars in the cauliflower :). Pesticides are used here. Must be a pesticide resistant strain of caterpillar.

Remember to put the worms in your compost heap.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
As well as bugs in the broccolli you also get caterpillars in the cauliflower :). Pesticides are used here. Must be a pesticide resistant strain of caterpillar.

Remember to put the worms in your compost heap.

Well, if there are catapillars in the Cauliflower, then I would rather wait for the Butterfly

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If the worms are as green as the broccoli maybe they were not sprayed which is a good thing. All you do is fill the sink with water, add salt, broccoli and all the broccoli worms with float to the top. Scoop them out, rinse the broccoli well and you're good to go.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If the worms are as green as the broccoli maybe they were not sprayed which is a good thing. All you do is fill the sink with water, add salt, broccoli and all the broccoli worms with float to the top. Scoop them out, rinse the broccoli well and you're good to go.

AnnaC, I have always washed my green vegetables this way but what does the salt do?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
AnnaC, I have always washed my green vegetables this way but what does the salt do?

In the case of the broccoli it seems to make the worms float to the top. We used to buy broccoli from a farm that did don't use pesticide and this is what they suggested.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
back in poland i have once found a giant worm in cauliflower - my friend, who wanted a be a soldier ate it with full determination (out of laziness we did not wash the cauliflower before boiling and worm cooked along with it).
i do not think it's all that advisable in DR, thou...

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I always wash my veggies in water with Purissima, it will kill even the invisible bugs.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
We discovered that depending on how small (or in our case) or large you like your broc and cauliflower, you will probably still get some of those little green larvae even if you soak your heads. I think this is partly because we cook it in a Pampered Chef steamer and not boiling so the critters aren't boiled out. The first couple of times it is a bit unnerving. Once they are cooked there really is no big deal. It's not like biting into one of those LARGE larvae that gush in your mouth. If I've soaked and washed it well and it has been cooked, I try not to look TOO closely. My dh has the advantage of not seeing them as his eyes have changed to farsighted and he refuses to have his prescription updated! Our kids are another matter though and have taken to inspecting all their food.

One thing I found helps with extricating the critters is with your soaking to use 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract (GSE)...it also kills amoeba. We use GSE to wash all our vegies and fruits so that the skin can be left on, thereby increasing the fiber content of the diet here.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Gse

Very interesting. Where can you buy this GSE. It works to kill Amoebas?

I order the GSE and bulk Citricidal (for cleaning--cutting boards and even for preventing that sour mildew smell in laundry during rainy season) from Nutrabiotics in the US. Usually whoever is going to the US next brings it back. There's a higher grade Canadian version called Agrisept. It is VERY effective (more concentrated) but about 3x the price.

There was a period of bad press on GSE (which as it turns out originated from big pharma) but independent research confirmed the effectiveness of GSE. And yes, it both prevents and treats amoeba infection (actually we've had BETTER success with this than the standard DR pharmaceuticals at the clinic). Be forewarned: it tastes like you are chewing on grapefruit seeds.

PM me if you have more ?s (when I have more time I keep thinking I'm going to start a thread on public health and another on natural health but for now this will have to do.):bunny::bunny::bunny:

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I order the GSE and bulk Citricidal (for cleaning--cutting boards and even for preventing that sour mildew smell in laundry during rainy season) from Nutrabiotics in the US. Usually whoever is going to the US next brings it back. There's a higher grade Canadian version called Agrisept. It is VERY effective (more concentrated) but about 3x the price.

There was a period of bad press on GSE (which as it turns out originated from big pharma) but independent research confirmed the effectiveness of GSE. And yes, it both prevents and treats amoeba infection (actually we've had BETTER success with this than the standard DR pharmaceuticals at the clinic). Be forewarned: it tastes like you are chewing on grapefruit seeds.

PM me if you have more ?s (when I have more time I keep thinking I'm going to start a thread on public health and another on natural health but for now this will have to do.):bunny::bunny::bunny:

Thank you so much for this information.
I had hoped that this GSE was available here in the DR.
I have been so careful washing veggies and fruit with just bottled water and yet I got my first bout with amoebas just recently after eight years of being here during the Winters.
I guess I have to put this on my "to bring to DR" list the next time we come back here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i must try it too, can GSE be purchased online?
i have parasite adventures on average once every two months...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes it can be purchased online......

Anyone who is having parasitic 'adventures' here every few months needs to be a little more attentive for sure.

I've been coming here winters for 18 years and have never had parasites or amoebas (sp?) even when our water came from a contaminated well.

I wash my veggies first with the tap water, dry with towels or air dry, then rinse with the 5 gallon jug water ( I buy the more expensive jugs as I've seen the processing plants of some of the less expensive brands). If in doubt I add a few drops of Purissima to the water.

We use only the bottled water to brush our teeth and the toothbrushes are then rinsed first with tap water, then with bottled water, then put into a hydrogen peroxide solution (50% HP-standard 3% dilution and 50% bottled water), then dried with paper towels.

Keep your mouth closed when showering,swimming, and don't eat anything cooked on the streets or the 'playa'.

Wash and dry the tops of cans/bottles before opening and wash the can opener after each use (dry wiping with a serviette/napkin doesn't get rid of all contaminates).

I dry all cutlery with dish towels however plates,cups,glasses etc. air dry.

Hopefully some of these suggestions will help keep you from another 'adventure'!