purchasing a home in Punta Cana

DominicanBound

Feb 28, 2008
We are considering purchasing a home in Punta Cana that we would primarily use in the winter. Just wondering if anyone that has purchased can give us some insight. Are home values increasing over the years there? Also, how is living there? Are there enough English speaking people that you don't feel like a total outsider? Another issue that we have is school. We have a 2 and 9 year old that would need to be in school for the winter months. How do they handle that there? Would an English speaking child fit in for a few months at a time? Any other advice would be great.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
The advice has been scarce....As on many other threads, I say vacation here, live here for a few months, and then decide for yourselves...

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Follow the advice above.

Why Punta Cana...??? do you have friends and or family there...???

DominicanBound

Feb 28, 2008
The kids would go to their normal school for the rest of the school year. We are just trying to find out how they can go to school for the couple of months we would be down there.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
The kids would go to their normal school for the rest of the school year. We are just trying to find out how they can go to school for the couple of months we would be down there.

There are numerous Private English speaking schools throughout the country. You can use the search button in regards to those schools. I don't know of any schools in the states that would go for the kind of set up that you are looking for. Good Luck.

DominicanBound

Feb 28, 2008
Actually, I just spoke to the school in the States today about this. You would have to take them out for the month or two and re enroll when we got back. They actually think it would be quite the educational experience for the kids. We would just have to make sure her education was comperable so she didn't fall behind. We already travel 3 to 4 times a year and have to make sure her homework is done anyway. They were actually less enthusiastic about home school then enrolling her in a school abroad.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Actually, I just spoke to the school in the States today about this. You would have to take them out for the month or two and re enroll when we got back. They actually think it would be quite the educational experience for the kids. We would just have to make sure her education was comperable so she didn't fall behind. We already travel 3 to 4 times a year and have to make sure her homework is done anyway. They were actually less enthusiastic about home school then enrolling her in a school abroad.

And how could they make this judgement without knowing the quality of the education that will be provided? How do they you and your children) feel about the mish mash of enrolling,enrolling and re-enrolling?

Where do you live now and what is the level of the current education?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
And how could they make this judgement without knowing the quality of the education that will be provided? How do they you and your children) feel about the mish mash of enrolling,enrolling and re-enrolling?

Where do you live now and what is the level of the current education?

A valid question. That is a whole lot of work. I couldn't imagine enrolling and de-enrolling numerous times. Is this really fair to the kids? You cant put a price on a quality education.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are two very good bilingual schools in the area, Punta Cana International and Cap Cana Heritage.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It would provide a very good experience for the children.....

to enroll them for the few months in the PC school and continue to home school them so they could maintain the level they are at back home.

We were never gone more than 6 weeks when our children were in school and home schooling wasn't an option as we were travelling so they had to make up their work when they returned. The only problem they encountered (actually more like I encountered) was that their vice-principal threatened to fail them (even though their grades were in the high 80's/90's) because they had missed too many days of schools (yes there are laws regarding the # of days you must attend school in Ontario,Canada to be promoted to the next grade).

I, in turn, threatened to go directly to the minister of Education to ensure they were promoted based on merit and not # of days attendance.

The whole deal was that the school lost money for the days they weren't there (but I knew that already as I sat on the school board!!:cheeky:)

Go for it! But do take the advice about visiting and living here for a while BEFORE you buy!