visiting DR

divad

Feb 27, 2008
Hello, my wife and I are planning a 1 month long visit to DR next winter with the intentions of scouting out an area that we might like to retire in. From reading DR1.com we think that the north coast seems like a general fit, but would like to narrow it down a bit, maybe someone can make a suggestion...
Here's what we're looking for (best case) :
- a town bordering on the ocean
- preferrably not too much of a tourist town - unless one can simply avoid the tourist areas.
- since we would like to not own a car, a town that we can walk/bicycle for most day to day things would be nice (beach, market, shops, etc.)
- high-speed internet

Also a question: I've noticed that some members commented on the inflated price of food, does this include local produce and meat/fish?

Thank you.

lcanale1

Feb 28, 2008
I know many places in the DR, but if you want to avoid tourist in a touristic area, I think you need to try Puerto Plata. It has international airport with main capital cities connection in Europe, Miami, and Atlanta. Unless you want to use Motorcicles-cab (motoconchos) transportation will be expensive in private taxi cabs.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello, my wife and I are planning a 1 month long visit to DR next winter with the intentions of scouting out an area that we might like to retire in. From reading DR1.com we think that the north coast seems like a general fit, but would like to narrow it down a bit, maybe someone can make a suggestion...
Here's what we're looking for (best case) :
- a town bordering on the ocean
- preferrably not too much of a tourist town - unless one can simply avoid the tourist areas.
- since we would like to not own a car, a town that we can walk/bicycle for most day to day things would be nice (beach, market, shops, etc.)
- high-speed internet

Also a question: I've noticed that some members commented on the inflated price of food, does this include local produce and meat/fish?

Thank you.
You will likely find that one has to compromise on certain things.
Quiet isolated areas have security issues and lack the products and services, one would like to have when living here.
What stands out the most is your approach/plan.
That's the correct way of doing things.
Giving yourself a month to look around will make all the difference in succesfully finding what suits you best.

I'm supposing that you will land up choosing the Sosua/Cabarete area, but the only way you can be sure of making a good decision, is doing what you're doing, checking all the viable places out first.

Happy hunting.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I know many places in the DR, but if you want to avoid tourists in a touristic area, I think you need to try Puerto Plata. It has international airport with main capital cities connection in Europe, Miami, and Atlanta. Unless you want to use Motorcycle-cabs (motoconchos) transportation will be expensive in private taxi cabs.
I expect to be retiring to Puerto Plata from England this spring so I endorse that recommendation, but you are not restricted to a choice between motoconchos (very dangerous) or private cabs (very expensive) for transport. You can also use guaguas (local buses) and publicos (shared taxis) and both are very cheap. For journeys not on their regular routes you could hire a publico privately which is much cheaper than a private cab.

Be aware that standards of comfort and safety are way below First World standards but if you are thinking of retiring to a Third World country you are presumably prepared for that in many areas of life. It is one of the prices you will pay for the undoubted benefits of living in the DR.

For longer inter-city journeys you can use the Metro or Caribe buses which are again very cheap but in this case well up to First World standards of comfort and (usually) punctuality.

I was interested in your reference to bicycling. I have hardly ever seen anyone on a bicycle in the normal roads and streets, only in "protected" environments like along the Malecon (seafront promenade). I would imagine that is because it would be hellishly dangerous elsewhere.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Get a car, and stay in Puerto Plata. If you had decided on Sosua then a bike would have been perfect for getting around town. But not in POP.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is a very tall German couple who live in Puerto Plata & they cycle everywhere - I keep seeing them at two different supermarkets. I've also seen them when I've been driving - they cycle slowly, predictably & safely. I've seen them around over at least the last 3 years so............it must be possible to cycle to places and survive :). Never seen them with broken legs or arms either (although I guess they wouldn't be cycling around if that happened ;) ). There's also Hank - the Dutchman from Canada - pushing 75 now & been here longer than me & still cycling everywhere. Slowly and soberly. It obviously IS possible.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
And that brings me to a question that's been bugging me for a while. Someone told me that riding a bike on the sidewalk (you know, the red brick sidewalks in POP) is not legal. Is that true? Is it mandatory that you ride in the street with cars, SUVs, busses, guaguas, moto-conchos, pasolas and huge trucks wizzing past you putting your life in danger? I've been wanting to ride my bike for a long time now but since I live at the bottom of the hill leading up to the mountain, my knees just won't let me go that way. So I thought about just riding along on the sidewalk but like I said, someone told me I couldn't do that. What say you???:bunny:

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Yes the Malecon does have a nice bike/running lane and its very nice. But you have to ride your bike from your home to the Malecon. I've seen folks riding on the highway between POP and Sosua. They must be the more adventurous type's.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Hi guys. Yes, I'm fully aware of the Malecon bike lane. But as was already stated, you still have to get there first and I'm just not about to risk my life riding in the street to get healthy. Anybody know the answer to my initial question about the legality, or illegality of riding a bike on the sidewalk?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
i would guess that riding a bicycle on the sidewalk may not be ?legal?, but maybe less offensive than the motorized bikes that often use the sidewalk!

teesees

Mar 12, 2008
We are coming in April to Samana for one day, from a cruise ship. We are interested in a service offering while there, perhaps schools supplies? Or, are there perhaps other service offerings/church/relief centers that we could work together with? And, if it were hats, toothbrushes, hygene items,pencils, or whatever needed, better to bring or to buy there? Your thoughts would be appreciated......